Interesting IEC Conversion Option

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Post Number: 33
I'm not much of an electronics guy, I just know what sounds good to me. My NAD receiver has an attached 2 prong power cord. I could get it modded to an IEC connector, but read about this power cord from Mapleshade which can be purchased with a little extra hardware to address this issue. Here's what they say.

Any good-sounding CD player, amp, turntable, or recorder could be great-sounding with a first-rate AC cord. No dice if the piece doesn't have a removable cord. Since this comes up so often, we've developed a kit to change your cord easily--without diving into the bowels of your gear wielding a soldering iron. Couldn't be simpler: just get a Clearview Double Helix Power Cord Kit. It comes with prepared and marked bare wire ends plus insulated copper butt splices that you simply squeeze on with pliers--no soldering. Just cut your component's captive cord 3" from the box and scrape bare the conductors at the cut end, slip on the butt splices and squeeze. By the way, it'll sound better than if you'd paid somebody $100 to cut a hole in the back of your chassis and to hard-wire in an IEC jack. The add-on IEC jack and mating plug just add a lot of unnecessary, bad-sounding dielectric.

Does this add up to those of you more in the know ?}

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8700
Uhh, no.
A crimp connection is cheap, stupid and ineffective.
The earth connection inside the unit is of critical importance in placement and purpose.
Scam-o-rama!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us