Luxman LV-102 problems

Username: Brettgsimpson

Post Number: 1
Hi there,

I'm currently having ongoing issues with my LV-102 amp. I'm starting to understand why my parents didn't mind giving it up. After an undetermined playtime (it's random, sometimes thirty seconds, sometimes an hour or two), the amp makes a loud POP sound, and then all I hear is a humming noise, somewhat like a ground wire fault. The humming is inaudible before the pop, and the music is inaudible after it. Resetting the amp works sometimes, but not reliably. Is this a common problem, and is it worth repairing? How much do you figure it would cost?

Thanks,

Brett

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11261

The power supply caps are probably bad. The cost for the cap(s) will be under $50 and the cost for labor will likely run two hours or so. You can buy a new receiver with a warranty for not much more.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11262

I guess I should mention you will probably have a difficult time finding anyone willing to work on this unit. Lux has no support in the US and techs don't care to warranty a unit that would have other twenty year old parts which are just as likely to break as the original problem.

Post Number: 2
Ouch. I'm on hard times, how much do you figure I could spend minimum on a new amp?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8633
Best Buy has an Insignia receiver for about $100.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11263

Pawn shops begin at about $40. What speakers are you using?

Post Number: 3
Just some poor quality speakers I got with a now broken semi portable stereo a few years back.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11264

Any receiver will do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us