What is wrong with my amp??!!!

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 466
My not so old NAD C350, suddenly when turned on, the light goes green, then turns to red. There's a pop from the speakers. It won't power up. Desperately need advice as to what could be the cause.

Please, can anyone advise?

Thanks,

V

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8596
Same thing with no inputs or speakers connected V?

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 467
Same thing, Nuck.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 368
Its going into Protection. Causing it to go into Standby and not turning it back on until you unplug it and then plug it back in perhaps? Or does it not want to come on at all anymore? If the Soft Clipping switch is turned on at the back, turn it off and then try to get it going then.

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 468
It's been switched off, unplugged and the soft-clipping has never been on. Still, the green light comes on briefly, fades and then turns red.

V

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
Ouch...time to get it into a dealer, or call NAD to see what they think.

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 469
This is excruciating for me. My only big investment in hi-fi and all I could afford. There is no money available for a replacement and I fear a repair could cost near to what I paid for it.

So when an amp like this, goes into 'protection mode', does this mean a serious, major component is destroyed? Do they behave like this, if a small fuse has gone?

V

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 470
I don't understand this. It's not old enough to break down. I have had 3020 series amps that have lasted longer, even before I owned them.

V

Gold Member

Post Number: 8597
It don't look good, V.
Personal line of credit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 370
Varney, how old is this amp? I have delt with NAD once before on my older T762 receiver. They were great, fixed it right up for me. If you call NAD up and explain it to them, most times they can give you a rough idea of what it is going to be and if it is worth fixing.

Here is the UK NAD phone stuff:

TEL: 01483 545 613
TECHNICAL#: 01279 719958

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 471
Thanks, Nick K.

The amp was bought either before Xmas or during this year - I cannot remember. It's a C350, which came in mint condition, second hand. I know it was hardly used. The plastic and packaging was all still in good order.

For it to have run as long as it has in my house, means the previous owner could not have forseen it going wrong. But still, I have no gaurantee and no recourse.

The C350 is no longer made. It has been replaced with the C352 and that, is completely outside of my means to purchase. So it will have to be a repair, sometime in the future.

It's like the last straw. I wanted to listen to some music, to take my mind off a recent death in our midst.

V

Silver Member

Post Number: 371
sorry to hear Varney.

I would call NAD as soon as possible, as faster you get it in there faster it will be fixed. And you never know could be a 50cdn dollar fix or something.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8624
I am sorry to hear that V/A.
I have nothing to offer from here except my condolances.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 276
Sorry for your loss V.

I recently had an old NAD amp repaired for just over 100 bucks (CDN). Same symptoms more or less, I'd turn it on, it would work for 2 minutes then go into protection mode.

Can't hurt to get an estimate on repairs.

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 472
Thankyou, Nuck and thanks to Nick K and David for your helpful replies. I'll phone NAD and see what they say. If NAD can offer support for older models, then this only increases my product loyalty.

I am surprised a unit of this age could develop a fault. I will be, of course, checking my speakers to see if there's anything there, that could have generated it.

Short of plugging them in, to risk another amp, how would I go about testing them? It could work out expensive, to find out they are really fine.

V
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us