Noisy Cambridge Audio Azure640C CD player

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 269
I am sure it is the whirring of the disc spinning. Just loud enough to make it no good for the bedroom. Not loud enough to hear on the higher volume of living room music.
Obvious solution there, but I want to keep the new Rotel 1072 in the main system because I listen there much more time.
That leaves me the choice to simply replace it (but that will cost money). Actually, in a few months (3 to 6?) I will splurge on the Apollo and be all set but for now I am considering trying to repair it but got no advice from Cambridge on how to or even if.
I have no experience with that work. Would not know what to do if I took it apart. Lube something? File something? Replace something?
So what would you do with it?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8582
Kevin, open it up and locate the source of the noise. Might be a fan in there(might) which is an easy fix. If it is the drive, thats harder.
If it is going to be replaced with a Rega, thats fine, but what happens to it then?
If you keep it around, knowing that it is noisy will just be a burr in your britches.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 270
You are right, I should try to fix it to sell.
I could give it to a young nephew who would never play at low enough volume to ever notice!
Did you ever open a cheap top loading boom box and the disc is still spinning. That is what it sounds like.
I should have returned it when new but did not want to mail it back to Seattle at the time it was my only deck.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 466
What's your thoughts on the 1072, Kevin?
(I apologize if you've already posted it somewhere)

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 271
The 1072 sounds very good on my system. Excellent really. I am not so good at describing audio, but would say it sounds more solid than the Cambridge did on that system (Quad11L).
It is probably the best value in its price class. (I have not heard the new improved Azure 640C VOL2.)
There is one strange thing in that I get volume fluctuations on the 1072 on the first cd while it is warming up. Never experienced that before. No problem though.
I like it enough to sometime go with the Rotel int amp partner. I would not hesitate to go with Rotel, except that I am anxious to try out Nait oor Mira amps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us