Listening Room

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Post Number: 25
I didn't see a better place to put this so I put it here.

I've decided (and got permission) to clear out the only finished room we have in the basement as a listening room. That's the good news. The bad news is the measurements of the room are far from ideal. It's almost square at 12' x 13'.

Given those measurements I can get myself about 2' out from the backwall, and have the speakers 2' our from both side and backwalls to get a reasonable listening position. The floor is carpeted, but right now the walls are bare gyproc all way round.

Are there cheap methods for sound treating the room so that it will make a decent place to setup in ? I'm looking for any ideas or reference material for learning how to establish a sonically stable room. I'm working on replacing all of my system components, and as soon as I have everything I need I'm moving downstairs. I'd like to have the room ready when the time comes....hopefully within a few months.

Once I have a new digital source and amp, I'll make the move. I'll replace speakers last. I have an extra pair of old Paradigm mini monitors that should do upstairs for the time being. I expect the room dimensions will limit the speaker options available to me. A lot of speakers require more space around them than that to work their best.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11197

Go to the "Accessories" section of the forum and then to "Room Treatments". Read and absorb. Put "speaker placement" or "speaker set up" in a search engine. Read and move speakers and listening position. The W.A.S.P. placement technique will probably be the best place to begin.

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 192
Lots of DIY sound treatment stuff, too.
OC703 (Owens Corning compressed fiberglas) is very popular and there are quite a few sites and plans featuring this material.
If I remember 'basements', the walls are in the end, concrete. You can still do it, but will probably have to 'massage' the room into accoustic niceness.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
One of the problems I'm going to have is listening position, if I adhere to the WASP ratios, and get the speakers away from the front & side walls sufficiently. It will push me very close to the back wall. What I will probably start with is treatments at the first reflective points on both side walls and the ceiling, something in the front two corners, and something very significant on the back wall behind me. Then listen and tweak from there.

After reading a bit, tweaking the room shouldn't cost much at all if you just use commonly available materials. I'm not going to spend $500 on treatments. The big issue will be getting the gear to put into the room. To get what I want ain't goin' to be cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8523
http://www.whealy.com/acoustics/ControlRoom.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Great link. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8539
Thanks are cheap, buy me a beer.