Volume flucuations

Username: Baileym

Post Number: 1
I have a Technics SL-BD20 table that, as far as I know, is exacatly as it came from the factory. I have running through my computer, through the program "Final Vinyl" to function as a pre-amp (is that the correct terminology?). I then run my computer sound through an Altec Lansing amp/sub and speakers. The problem is that the volume fluctuates quite badly. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? If so, any suggestions to fixes (preferably cheap, considering that other than the computer and speakers that I have anyway, I have all of about $30 invested in equipment and would like to keep it that way)?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11176

Try a dedicated phono pre amp. Place "phono pre amp" in a search engine and you should be able to find a unit for less that $50. You can, of course, spend much more, but you should be able to find something for under that amount.

Post Number: 2
After searching "phono preamp", I noticed that they all had a place for a ground from the turntable. Currently, mine is not grounded externally in any way that I know of. Is it possible that this could be causing my problem? If so, is it possible to ground my turntable externally without the use of a preamp?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11185

"Is it possible that this could be causing my problem?"

No.

Post Number: 3
Haha, ok, good to know. In that case, what is the function of that ground? It's obviously not neccessary as my equipment seems to be functioning properly for the most part.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11186

Grounds are obviously important in the completion of a circuit. In this case, the "ground" is for the tonearm, which really has no voltage flowing through it - until it comes in contact with a phono cartridge. A tonearm ground serves to eliminate ground loops which might be caused by the phono cartridge which does produce voltage and current. Not all tonearm/cartridge combinations require a tonearm ground and some tonearms combine the arm's grounding with the cartridge's grounding cable. If you have no separate tonearm ground cable connected, the chances are your tonearm doesn't require any more than what you presently have connected. Change any part of that circuit and you might require a separate ground cable for the arm.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8492
Jan that might be he 20th time you answered that question, and the 20th straight answer.
Nice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us