CD-player for Creek/MA-setup?

Username: Audiophile82

Post Number: 1
I currently own a stereosetup, and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new Creek Destiny integrated to pair up with my dear Monitor Audio RS6s.

However, I do not have a CD-player to use with the setup, and so I was wondering if anyone had some tips on what to pair these two up with. I want a normal CD player, but SACD would also be nice. I find the Creek Destiny a bit too expensive and I do not feel like spending that much money on a CD-player.

Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1535
jj - suggestions?

Sure - read the posts under "Is it worth it"

Nice setup btw.

Post Number: 2
Hehe, nice thread.

Well I already have an upgrade plan for the speakers, GS20 next summer. Source is my focus right now and I want some tips on CD-players that will match my setup well.

I can elaborate some: Arcam CD73 - Marantz SA7001 - Rega Apollo are some candidates I`m curious about.

I`d appreciate some help :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Post Number: 16
I read great things about that Creek amp. Aren't those cdp's a knotch below your amp investment ? I'd be tempted to wait and buy something at that level or higher, so you don't shortchange yourself.

I've been researching cdp's for a while now as I'm also looking to upgrade. I've read and listened to so many units now I'm brainlocked and probably shouldn't give anyone advice. The choices are incredible....which is a good thing, but one does need to eventually decide something.....and that's where I'm havin' some trouble.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2325
jj

There's no point in buying even better speakers next year if the source you feed the system isn't up to their performance. Since you appear to have aspirations toward some serious speakers, you need to bear in mind how to build the rest of the system to make the most of them. In this case, you really should be looking at things like the Creek Destiny CD player, Rega Saturn, Naim CD5x.

No point in feeding great speakers with a broken signal...

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 3
Hehe, well, for my credit card they are spot on :-)

I am a student so getting an expensive source is not that easy for me at the moment, therefore I am looking for a source in this price range. People I`ve talked with have said to me that from this range and upwards only minor differences occur, but maybe that is not correct?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Quantifying improvements is highly personal. What is very significant to me, might be only slight to you...or the opposite could be true. IMHO, there are significant differences between the cdp's listed above, and some that may cost 2-3 times that. But given the range of choices, and each individuals ear, who's to say.

One option might be to look in the used market, and see if you could get more for less. Or, buy a basic player for now (cheap Sony for example) and save until you can afford what you want. Of course, I don't really know what you want, only that you selected an excellent amp, so I'm assuming that is the level of performance you are trying to match.

Post Number: 4
Well, used market is in fact where I am looking, but I am not really sure what to look for, so any models you think could match well with my setup?

What about Marantz 15, it appears more often on the used market than Destiny cdp...

Not really easy to decide :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The kicker on the used side is ensuring you know where to take it to get it fixed, should you have problems with it after purchase. I was seriously considering a Resolution Audio CD50 or CD55, as they are usually sold for just under $1000, but where $3000 machines and VERY highly thought of by the people who own them. Many reviewers reference them when discussing current gear. However, in my neck of the woods, I have no service options for them, and I have read that finding a replacement transport for them is difficult. So I backed away from that.

It really depends on what type of sound you are looking for. One great option is a Simaudio Moon Equinox. These have 10 year warranties, are awesome players, and can be had for $1000-$1500...sometimes less. Good solid neutral player that new is $2000 or a little more. These are on my list. If you're looking a more analogue representation you need to look elsewhere. The Minimax is around the same price as the players you have above and is very highly regarded. I've only heard it once on an unfamiliar system, but I was impressed. Wonderful, wonderful midrange...perhaps not as extended or detail oriented on the top-end, but very musical.

I recently purchase a cd which features all duets by Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris. Whether this type of music floats your boat or not, it is a wonderful cd for evaluating audio components. Both of their voices have a lot of weight and chestiness. Emmylou's voice is intense, with a wonderful texture to it. My current system doesn't do so well with it, as the intensity of her voice is not controlled, and the texture of her voice is lost. The depth of Mark Knopfler's voice is also missed, with everthing rounded out far too much. On the Minimax....wow. Of course I was listening through a Plinius amp and some very nice monitors, so it wasn't all just the deck...but still.

This probably isn't helping.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8476
Maybe yes or no, Chris, but good evaluations.

Post Number: 5
Hmm, difficult decision. My plan for now is to get into the equipment. Went into a local hifi-store today and asked if it was possible to borrow a CD73 home to try, "not today, but come back on saturday and you can get the CD73, the Marantz 7001 and Prelude (nordic brand) + some good cables to try from saturday until tuesday."

Excellent service and they did not need me to put down a deposit either. Impressed.

Anyways, so I have a long weekend of music listening ahead of me.

I looked a bit on the models in the store and especially the Marantz looked really well built and sturdy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8478
jj, thats the place you want to deal with.

See how far you can try up the lines(and bucks) and take advantage of a good relationship in the making.

Maybe drop him your visa # and try something upscale a bit for a good reference in your room.
Best test ever.
How high is up to you and them, I had a dealer would lemme try some expensive pieces when he knew I wasn't shopping. And I always shopped there.

Sorry for the sidebar, sounds like a good thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
If you've got someone who will let you walk out the door with more than one piece of gear, that's awesome. I really like Nuck's suggestion. See if you can get something above those pieces, maybe after you've done the 3 you mentioned....even if you have to reserve it with Visa. Then you'll know for sure if the difference you hear is enough to matter to you....assuming you hear a difference.

I would further recommend listening to something a little off the beaten track, just to compare....like a tube cd player....so you hear a different approach and see if that's closer or further away from what you're looking for. Your ears will know what's right. I'd love to be there listening with you. I really enjoy listening to different gear.

Post Number: 6
Thank you both for the input. Yeah I really liked the store,and the guy there was really easy to talk to. He just sat down and listened together with me to some music, and when I wanted I could just walk around and try equipment worth over 100K $ per setup. It felt like they wanted me to be happy, not just make the money and move on - and I would rather spend money there that save some small cash and buy a used one.

I will come back and tell you how things are turning out for me! :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 8484
jj, do they have a pre-loved collection as well?

Post Number: 7
Hehe, don`t know :-)

During the weekend I`ve played A LOT of music on three players - the CD73, SA7001 and a Music Hall CD25.2. The Prelude wasn`t brought along.

All 3 players delivered and I really felt my setup shine. My impression of the Arcam was that it had strong mids, but perhaps not as much "shine" in the treble as the two others. The Music Hall was better and both bass and treble improved without much loss of resolution in the mids.

The Marantz performed even better that the MH, and ended up being my favourite amongst them. It had an even more detalied soundstage, and details in guitars and percussion were impressive. Voices also got that "edge" that I love.

So this should be easy? Well, Arcam wasn`t quite up there. The SA7001 was good soundwise, but it has some downsides: 1. The display is to dim even at its brightest. Hard to read in normal daylight, and if the light hits the display directly - very hard. 2. Up to 7-10 times during my listening sessions it refused to find the CD I had put into it. Some of my SACDs weren`t found at all, even after several tries and restarts.

For the time being I think I will hand them back to the shop(s) and reflect a bit more on my results.

*I have to apologize on my English, non-native speaker here you see...*

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 666
I'm sorry jj I missed that post you thought the need to apologize for.

High five to you to return all and not feel an obligation to buy something short of your target.

Keep it going and keep us updated

Gold Member

Post Number: 8512
The guy's English is better than mine, and HE'S apologizing?

You're fine, jj.

Post Number: 8
Well, after some thinking I have been looking at Logitech Squeezebox as an option. People I have talked with say it sounds really good and that it is easy to use. Also the aestethics aren`t to bad either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us