I like MUFFLED sound!

bass crazy
Unregistered guest
Hi, this may be weird in the hi-fi enthusiasts forum, but I hate highs and mid range clarity. I'm trying to create a sound that's full of bass and lower mids, very muffled, mellow sounds for rock music. I want the sound to be like a wall that slam right in your face, bringing together the bass and distorted guitars and simply blows you away. Any ideas what sort of equipment I need for this?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 598
bass:

I can't say I really understand what you want, but if you want the high end muffled, you need a receiver which has a very laid back sound along with a speaker with the same sound. For the receiver, I would recommend the Harman/Kardon (such as the 430 or 630), which has a very big power supply, but with a very laid back sound. For speakers, I would suggest something like Paradigms or PSB Image speakers, which also tend to be rather laid back. By combining the two, you should greatly restrict the highs that you suggest you don't like and emphasize the bass end of the spectrum.

bass crazy
Unregistered guest
Hi Hawk, thanks for your suggestions. Really appreciate your replies to many of the questions on this board.

Basically what I'm after is that really solid bass and lower mid gain, and muffled vocals. You know like in rock concerts, where you can feel the vibrations of every power chord, and at the same time the vocals seem to be very subdued and unclear? I guess I'm really looking for party speakers and set up, and I don't care too much about jazz or classical music.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 608
bass:

Then I understood you correctly. Get the H/K with the PSB speakers, something like the Image 5Ts. Or, check out the PSB Century 500i from DMC Electronics for $219/pair (has an 8" woofer for good bass!). See them here:

http://www.dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

Add sub and you will have plenty of good bass.

Good luck!

swampcat
Unregistered guest
Get Cerwin Vega! turn the treble down and rock like hell. Cerwin Vega! puts out more bass then any other speaker and handles 450wpc cont. They have one model with dual 15 inch woofers in the classic line for @ $550 a peice. Had 4 ohm vegas and drove with 325wpc never had a problem good party speakers. Better party speakers are Klipsch but their to clear and bright for you?

Unregistered guest
Put a blanket over your speakers then. That will put you in audio extasy.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 764
better yet, get multiple subwoofer set-ups and just 2 front main speakers on a 2 way set-up.

Have you tried professional DJ speakers and power amps?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1439
You could take out the tweeters.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 445
like berny said professional dj speakers are what
your after."definatley"

another i've tried with pretty good success for
concert level type sound is 2 guitar cabinets
that have 4 12" drivers in each powered by a dj
type amp. "crown"
then run another big 2channel amp with a pair of
either cerwin vega type speakers or dj speakers
like jbl or yamahas.

trust me that will do it.you'll have your pants
shaken and can't hear the guy next to you screeming
at you!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Kegger - You forgot to mention adding the beer.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
My suggestion would be to buy some really awesome speakers and then put them in another room.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 233
Or the Joseph Beuys method: get good speakers, smear a thick layer of lard over them, and then wrap them in flannel blankets. Voila, muffled sound.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 450
good ones jan!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1447
No-one has mentioned ear-plugs, yet. They take out high frequencies very well. Make sure they say "THX".

Username: Kyle___berg

Post Number: 7
Buy Sony MF550H's like I did, They smoke major pole!!!

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 796
oh-oh, try the noise cancellation headphones by Bose!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us