Help.. NAD lcd problem

Username: Insydney

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 1
i recently moved my system, only across the room, but since then the LCD display on the CD player has refused to 'light up'. any quick fix ideas? i cant believe its just died cos of the feng shui... cheers

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1532
Feng shui work in velly mystelious way. Are you sure you haven't accidently turned the display off. Also try disconnecting the from the main for a while and try again. Otherwise it's off to the repairer.

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 3
aaah so....

not sure how i would have turned it off?

moved the fountain and the bonsai plants around, didn't help :-(

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1537
Oh so solly, insyd. I had a C542 and now the Rega Apollo, which has a display button on the remote to turn it off. I honestly can't recall now whether or not the NAD cdp remote has this. Otherwise I'm no help except make sure your house number is not 4.

Username: Suspecterrain

Post Number: 9
I have an old model 510 CD player that i have had to replace these dis[play bulbs 2 or 3 times (in as many years). NAD has acknowledged a design flaw that requires a change in a particular component (resistor, i think) - or, just keep replacing bulbs (for which they supplied me with a dozen, free of charge).

Installation is straight forward and you'll only need minimal soldering skills to do it yourself.

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 6
thanks suspect... i'll have a look inside and see how accessible the bulbs are... any tips?

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

UK

Post Number: 422
You can't turn the NAD displays off so if yours has gone off then it's broken! I've never had this problem so haven't looked inside, sorry to be of no help on that score. I would suspect you need to be fairly handy with dismantling things (and a soldering iron!) because these items aren't supposed to be user-replaceable.

Username: Suspecterrain

Post Number: 10
insydney - sorry for the delay in my reply (you've probably already figured everything out).

I'm no technician, but this is what i would suggest:

1. Contact NAD to get replacement bulbs.
2. Unplug unit and remove cover.
3. You should see the LCD assembly at the front of the unit and how it can be removed - the bulbs are shrouded behind the display (for diffusion, i gather).
4. Use your soldering iron to melt the solder connecting each bulb contact to the the board, and subsequently, re-solder the new units on.

Just be patient - i have a pretty cheap iron that not only takes a good 20 minutes to get up to operating temp, but also doesn't have any interchangeable tips - so the bulky tip of mine makes the operation pretty cumbersome.

Best of luck - let us know how you manage.

Bronze Member
Username: James_lehmann

Post Number: 16
My old NAD CD Player and my current AMC CD7 (close relation of NAD) Player have had this persistent LCD problem.

AMC are now out of business and won't reply to my emails. :-(

It's very annoying having a player with no screen!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us