Custom Cabinet to "House" My Speakers

Bronze Member
Username: New2ht

Post Number: 18
I'm getting a custom home entertainment cabinet built to "house" my widescreen, Center channel, Mains and Sub. I was thinking of insulating the cabinets for the speakers. Is this a good idea? What type of material is best for insulation?
Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Speakers: Mains - Energy C9 floorstanding
Center - Energy C-C1
Sub - Velodyne SPL 800 series II.

Thanks!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Build the cabinet with double sheets of 3/4" MDF bonded together. Place the speakers on spikes with Blu-Tack in between. Line the cabinet spaces with an acoustic foam on all surfaces but the bottom. These items can be purchased at www.audioadvisor.com and they can answer other questions. The sub is best, if possible not in the same cabinet. You can put it in the ceiling with a ventilation grate to allow the sound through or in the basement or another room with a grate if it can be located properly. A problem with dictating the location of a subwoofer is it hardly ever works out to be the best location for sound quality. If quality is secondary to looks and you have to put the sub in the same cabinet with the other components you should isolate the cabinet by staggering the the depth of the studs so it does not have a common wall with the rest of the cabinet. Your builder should know how to do this. If not, ask at a high end audio dealer.

Bronze Member
Username: New2ht

Post Number: 21
Thanks JVigne!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us