Monitor Audio GR-60: Biwire Cable Okay? (and GR-60 vs GR-20)

Unregistered guest
Good Day,

I am very interested in purchasing a set of Monitor Audio speakers. My two current choices are the GR-60's and the GR-20's. I would of course prefer the GR-60's due to their bass extension, however I am a bit confused/concerned about the speaker terminals. I have a set of bi-wire speaker cables. Does this pose a problem at all to running the GR-60's? Will there be any imbalance if I run it with these cables with biwire cable? How would I actually connect them: by running the speaker cables to the bass and tweeter terminals and bridging the mids and highs? Speaker cable is Zu-Cable Wax

Secondly - is there really a very significant difference in bass extension between the GR-20 and GR-60? I really like tight, fast bass (not boomy) but am concerned the GR-20 may be a bit bass light.

Thanks and Regards,
C. Lerner,
South Africa

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 78
Your MA speakers owner's manual comes with a diagram for bi-wiring your speakers. Might be best to review those diagrams, as some of the connection arrangements and different wires vary too much for verbal descriptions.
There is indeed a serious difference between the low frequency output capability of the 20 and 60 (plus a hefty price difference) and a considerable difference in the big brothers overall more refined, detailed sound. The 20 has an almost irresitible British profile, tight, clean, well developed, driving (but not ultra insightful) but it's bass performance is outclassed by many others at it's price point. Same for the 60, overall first rate sound with underperforming bass; esp at $4K American Dollars.

swampcat
Unregistered guest
Dont bother bi wire, tri wire there's no sound diference its in their minds. use good thick wire with high copper content the rest is hype.
Use a couple of amps and bi amp tri amp you'll hear a diference.

Username: Knightshade

Taunton, Somerset England

Post Number: 6
Look here you may find it useful
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/34336.html

GOPAL
Unregistered guest
I would like to know where swampcat gets those ideas from. Thick wire is a thing of the past, most industry professionals will tell you that alot of small braided strands gets a far better signal to the other end than one big hunk of copper. Get out of the dark ages. Also the benefits of bi-wiring, tri-wiring is very much dependent on the speakers in question. For example B&W speakers sound very boxed in and dull when single wired but as soon as you bi-wire them the sound breathes out of the speaker and fills the room effortlessly, the dispersion of the tweeters starts to take effect and the speakers 'disappear'. In my experience with all kinds of hi fi speakers the vast majority exhibit an audible inprovement as soon as they are bi-wired
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us