Need new preamp for Adcom GFA-535

Username: Btom

Post Number: 7
Hello All,

My Adcom GTP-500 is about dead. Tuner is dead and yet I get FM interference on other inputs. Also in stereo mode I freqently get a lot of noise and speakers going in an out. Mono mode is fine. I was going to replace my Adcom with a new AV receiver, but it'd be a while before I could use the surround features. So I'm thinking that I ought to just get a new preamp for my adcom GFA-535 or perhaps a new stereo receiver. Anyway looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Tom.

ABC
Unregistered guest
check out AudioAdvisor.com they got a nice selection of preamps

Anonymous

If you have only digital sources, consider a step attenuator ("passive preamp"). I'm using one on my 535 and it sounds great.

BOL

swampcat
Unregistered guest
Get a pre amp dont go the rec. route. The 535 is a good little amp.

Username: Btom

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the replies. I think I will get a new preamp as you suggest. I have mixed sources (not all digital) so the step attenuator won't work. Any suggestions for something with a subwoofer output (to use with a powered sub). Thanks again.

Tom.

swampcat
Unregistered guest
Adcom has a pre amp(stereo) for @$600 with a phono section for mm and mc cartridges. Check out their web site at adcom.com. I have an adcom gfa545 and gfp555 both still work great 19 years later. Added gfa555II 3 years later all still going strong. Still using an HK anologe rotary tuner(24 years old). Maybe the adcoms have a bad tuner section?

I dont use subs and have no nowledge of them. Still use towers with real woofers (hard to find these days with the 6 inch woofer craze?)

Dont know about new pre amps by adcom, The old ones have two sets of outputs for amplifier use . I use mine to run two power amps at same time, wouldn't this work with a powered sub with rca jack inputs? I would think you could do the same with good quality RCA Y conectors .

Unregistered guest
Have a GFA535 power amp supporting a GTP 500 Tuner rarely used. I recently threw a big party on New Year's eve with volume up and the unit running for several hours. The unit is enclosed and overheats. One channel cuts out and the sound loses quality. I turn the unit down. It cools off and the sound returns. Does this mean the safety devices did their job and every thing is OK? I plan to relocate the system for better ventilation. Any advice based on what I described? (PS: The speakers are Boston Accoustics T830 with 15-100 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

Anonymous

If you are using self powered subs and a separate amplifier for your mids and highs, may I suggest a preamp with two sets of output terminals. I am not talking about cheap stuff with a/b switches.

Audio Alchemy had a preamp called "DCL".

I have used it in my sub and satelite setup. This preamp is passive. It has four inputs, and two outputs. It has a remote. The volume control works backwards from -96 db scrolling by 1/2 a db between each step. The ballance may be monitored separately. It has two separate LCD for the ballance volume. The power supply is separate from the unit. If I were to suggest a preamp to anyone, this would be it.

There are other more ellaborate preamps out there, but for the money this one is hard to beat. Check it out for yourself.

Unregistered guest
Correction:

Audio Alchemy DLC

Anonymous

What would be my best option as a pre-amp with surround sound to run with my adcom GFA5500 w/bose lifestyles system

Username: Izzkidioto

Post Number: 1
Roy C,

Did the 535 overheat? I am running the 535 directly from my computer with an Audigy 4 sound card and it stays warm pretty constantly. It is running an older pair of Essex floorstanders with 2 8", 2 4", and 2 solid state inertial tweets. Maybe it is the load these speakers have, but they are 8 ohm as well. Hmm...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us