PA Speakers vs. Home cinema speakers

Username: Baza_j

Post Number: 2
Im was looking to buy a new set of speakers for my yamaha rxv640rds, just a pair of something like the mission m35s, cause not liking the sound from my mordaunt short sat/sub combo. But for the same money i can get a PA system with 2 gemini gx300 speakers (http://www.geminidj.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?template=2004productpagea&store=&se arch=yes&product=11GX-300&category=speakers&keywords=&hits_seen=&page=search.htm l&and=&affiliate_id=) and a 400W power amp. Now these babies are loud, but wondering about the sound quality. What does everyone think would be a better option. These will be used mainly to listen to dance music and for DJing, as the sat/sub covers home cinema quite nicely!

Bronze Member
Username: Djtorch

Post Number: 26
PA Speakers will lack accuracy unless you pay for high end PA speakers. Gemeni is not anywhere near being high end. However, if you are going to use the speakers to DJ with too. They are better suited than dedicated home audio speakers. It sounds like you have already answered your question. But, If I were you I would get the PA speakers. I'm just not sure about Gemeni.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, but what make then would you reccommend for PA system if not gemini, remembering i dont want to pay the earth???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
It depends. How much are you willing to spend? One very important factor is when you do mobile gigs, you need to have dependable, good equipment. If you skimp, it will come back t ohaunt you and everyone will know.

Post Number: 5
Dont think ill ever be taking them out of the house unless its to a house party or something

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
IN that case, get some audiophile speakers thatr prodice good bass.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
In that case get some good speakers that are very efficient. Too many "audiophile" speakers are too inefficient to run at party levels and will be blown out by the second song. Most PA type speakers are rated at 94 dB @ 1 watt in. Look for a speaker that is rated for that efficiency (sensitvity) or higher and you will satisfy your volume requirements. The problem is there is a trade off between efficiency and bass and size of the box. Try looking at some Klipsch or JBL speakers first and keep the efficiency as high as possible or you will run into problems. A pair of Klipsch Heresy's should go for about $300 to $400 on the used market.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Get in touch with the guy at "Let me try it this way". He has the speakers you need.

Post Number: 6
whats that last post mean??? dont mind them being big so will volume and good bass come together or is there a trade off???

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Bass response, meaning how low the frequency cut off of the speaker not how much bass or the quality of the bass response is determined by two factors: the size of the box and the efficiency of the driver/system. For any given woofer, as you increase the size of the box you will get deeper bass frequencies. Check the project at www.passdiy.com. At some point the box becomes too big for a woofer and the bass response that you hear will diminish though the woofer is still responding to a lower note. This is the theory behind infinite baffle and acoustic suspension speaker designs. As the box gets bigger the speaker also becomes more efficient (plays louder) with the bass response remaining a constant. This is the idea of a reflex loaded or a horn loaded speaker. Passive radiators and transmission lines try to combine the best of both concepts. If you want a speaker that will go down to 35 Hz but want it to play louder you must increase the box size. If you want a speaker that will play at 94 dB with 1 watt in you must either increase the box size or raise the cut off fequency. Change one of the three and you will affect the other two. This is a very basic description of how a speaker works and does not address the issue of bass quality. That is a separate discussion. You must double the power from your amplifier to get 3 dB of increase in volume so instead of trying to buy a larger amp you can make the speaker respond as if you had doubled the power by substituting a speaker that plays at 92 dB/1 watt for one that plays at 89 dB/1 watt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us