Newbie help- new setup

Username: Sambarock

NYC, NY USA

Post Number: 2
hey everyone,

This is my first post in here, not sure this is the corrected place to post this, so please go easy on me ok

I'm in the market for a new HI FI Stereo setup.

I have been collection punk and garage records for the last 14 years. 90% of my music collection consists of vinyl records and a feel CDs (great source for bootlegs and compilations).

My wife bought me for xmas a KAB Technics 1200 fully loaded with a Shure V15VxMR.
It was major improvement from my previous turntable but now my 90's Marantz PM-94 amp is falling apart.

This weekend I listened to a Mchintosh MA6500 with a much inferior turntable and I was blow away. It made realize it's time to step up and get a proper setup for my lovely records. So now I come for you help!

I have been researching and spending every afternoon on shops listening to all different component brands, Arcam, NAD, Rega, Mchintosh, Naim, B&W, Epos, Revel, Usher' you name I try it!

My budget is $4500. That is for Amp (thinking integrated instead pre and power amps), a good Phono Stage and bookshelf speakers (my room is 10'x13') and all the fancy Cables.

I know my music choice is not the prefer among audiophiles and my budget is not the best but I hope you can shed some light on my way to a bombastic sound system.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2067
You say you've heard a lot of stuff. What did you like best and why? Thats the best place to start.

If McIntosh was your favorite, the MA6300 retails for $3000 and has a built in MM phono section, leaving you with $1500 for speakers if you choose this route.

NYC, NY USA

Post Number: 3
The Mchintosh was the one that I first listened to. The sound was great. The only thing is that I didn't hear it playing anything that was too fast paced or distored. I read complaints about getting too muddy when playing heavy rock or electronic music.
Is that true or is it more related to the speakers?
Perhaps a well define phono stage would help as well?

Bronze Member
Username: Sanio

South Wester... Canada

Post Number: 35
You want to spend 3K on an amp known for clarity and detail to listen to distortion?

I think Sid would be rollin in his grave

NYC, NY USA

Post Number: 4
You want to spend 3K on an amp known for clarity and detail to listen to distortion?

Yeah, sure I do. When I listen to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath what I'm looking for is that guitar distortion amp sound. Is there anything wrong with that?

Bronze Member
Username: Sanio

South Wester... Canada

Post Number: 36
oxy-moron I want tight crisp clear distortion

Username: Mhaprez

Charles City, Iowa United States

Post Number: 1
At your budget, you may want to consider an Accuphase integrated, which includes a phono stage. Also, there is the option of a krell integrated with one of the giant killer phono stages available now. Congrats on the table. I love mine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us