Cambridge Audio CD Players

Username: Melodic_waves

Post Number: 1
A couple of stupid questions here, but I'd rather play it safe for now.

1) Would I need some kind of electrical(?) converter to use Cambridge Audio CD players and their other products in the US?
2) Anyone know of some reputable place(s) online with a wide variety of Cambridge Audio items that ship to/within the US?

Ditto for NAD products.

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11079

If you buy a product within the US boundaries, it will be set to play within the US boundaries.

Just place either company name in a search engine for your answers regarding sellers.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the first answer, but the second answer wasn't as helpful. Tried that and I received links to sites in Europe, but I got a good link from someone else on another forum.

I have another question about CD players in general: With regards to the D/A conversion, if I were to only use regular(?) audio CDs (I believe most of them are done at the 16 bit, 44.1 khz level), would there be a benefit to getting a CD player that has a D/A conversion of 24 bit, 192 khz?

Bronze Member
Username: Sanio

South Wester... Canada

Post Number: 34
benefit to getting a CD player that has a D/A conversion of 24 bit, 192 khz?

If you plan on buying 24 bit CDs I think the answer to that question is yes. These CDs come at a premium however.

NAD dealers
http://nadelectronics.com/distributors

Cambridge Audio
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/

cheers

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11127

You might want to pick up the current issue of Stereophile. Sam Tellig listens to and comments on a few Cambridge players with upsampling.

Very quickly, upsampling cannot place more information on the disc than originally existed. A 16 bit disc will remain a 16 bit disc. However, two advantages to upsampling exist.

First, some bits are wasted by a typical 16 bit retrieval format. Higher bit resolution retrieves this information. Still, that is a problem most well designed players have already surmounted without resorting to upsampling.

The most advantageous benefit to upsampling is its ability to place the sampling frequency further away from the audio frequencies. This reduces what is called "aliasing" which amounts to audio frequencies injected into the playback stream which are created by the interaction of the music signal with the sampling frequency. Since these newly created signals are created relative only to the 44.1kHz sampling rate on a standard Redbook CD, they have nothing specifically to do with the music signal they overlay. They are distortion. By raising the sampling rate, the aliased frequencies are raised above the audio bandwidth and above the filter action of the player. The result, when done correctly, is cleaner reproduction of all 16 bit and higher digital signals.

The question is whether the manufacturer has done the job correctly. There is little agreement on just what sampling rate and bit rate is the best. Any upsampling must conincide with a reclocking of the original signal. This opens the signal up to many problems that upsampling alone cannot solve.

Post Number: 3
Sorry for the delayed response, but thanks for that bit of information.

My final question is more of a general one again, but I've read that some people have problems playing CD-Rs on stand alone CD players (A couple mentioning the Cambridge Audio). I asked the merchant I was planning to buy my CD player from about whether Cambridge Audio CD players would have this problem; he said that bad CR-R playback was a problem with older CD players.

So, are there any 'average' CD players that have a high compatability rate with CD-R discs? Or am I fine with going after the CA CD player?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 383
you should be fine now.

Post Number: 4
Muchos arigatou you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us