Paradigm Monitor or Monitor Audio??

Username: Av_hooligan

Florida

Post Number: 2
I'm starting my system from the ground up, starting with the speakers. Paradigm Monitor 9 or 7, 390 center and their surround OR Monitor Audio Silver RS8 or RS6, center and surround? I will be using the system for both Audio and HT and my musical tastes are varied. Thoughts, suggestions, alternatives? Thanks for the assistance.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1190
Dozens of other possible suggestions, but perhaps none better.

What is your concern?

Have you auditioned both?

Which do you prefer?

If you prefer one over the other, then what's the problem?

What's your budget?

% of Audio/HT?

What kind of music?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 160
Well I can tell you this, the new Paradigm Monitor line are not going to sound as good as the Silver series in the Monitor Audio Line. I like Paradigm for movie's, Monitor Audio for the music. Problem is I am not a huge fan of the new Paradigm Monitor Line and what they have done to them. If the Monitor Audio RS6/RS8's are in your budget, they are a better speaker.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 161
I guess it also depends on your source and your receiver. What are they?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1191
...or your preference. Audition both for yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8168
I can personally vouch for the RS8 in the Silver line.
The speakers belie their size, are capable of a large soundstage and are able to play loud or soft.
The music eminates from the entire assembly, with no resonance. This is not easy.
At 90db efficiency, they do not need a ton of power, but I put a ton of power to them.
They present a rather benign load, so can be driven with a mid-level receiver or integrated.
I have several other speakers for a direct comparison, but not the Paradigm's, but the others have covered them for you,Steve.

Florida

Post Number: 3
Chris:
My concern is getting it wrong. I'm very methodical and careful with my investment. I like to get it right the first time and therefore do a lot of research. I also value opinions of those with experience. I plan on auditioning both, just wanted some insight on others experience and thoughts.

Budget- I will not go crazy but I'm not afraid to spend some on quality that will last and I will not have to upgrade a couple of years down the road.

% Audio to HT: probably 50-50. It will be set up in the main room of my house. It will be tied into the main viewing area, so sports and movies will probably be the extent of the HT. It will get a lot of audio use from me, and my son, not so much from my other half.

Kind of music: Varied, classic rock, present rock, alternative, acoustic, folk, blues, house, electronic, punk, clasical, etc. I'm all over the board.

Nick:

You said you like the Paradigms for movies and the MAs for audio. Reason? Can something be done so they are good for both? Or is there another brand that will provide quality in both arenas?

Source: Thats another topic. I haven't decided to go separates or intregraded. I figured I'd try and nail down my speaker selection and then match it that way. Suggestions on sources. Track record, most bang for the $$$, customer service, reliability, quality, again something that will last of the years. I don't want to feel I have to upgrade (purchase new models) the components every year or so.

Nuck:

Paradigms not a good comparison for the MAs? What are some, you feel, would be a better comparison factoring in quality, $$$, and usage arena?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1192
Steve,

The one thing you did not state: Have you auditioned these and or other speakers?

If so what were your impressions?

"Budget- I will not go crazy but I'm not afraid to spend some on quality that will last and I will not have to upgrade a couple of years down the road."

...Famous last words.

My advice is to first set a budget, make a demo CD, and then audition, and when your done auditioning, audition some more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1193
If you provide me with a budget, I'll tell you what I would buy.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 162
Steve- Paradigm's are a warmer sound while the MA's have a very detailed and perhaps brighter sound. Overall, in my opinion, the MA Silver line are a better speaker then the NEW paradigm Monitor series. Im a paradigm guy, I have all Paradigm, and unless I was willing to upgrade everything to the Paradigm Studio series, I would consider the MA Silver line a upgrade from the monitor series. If it came down to the two, I would pick the MA;s. My opinion.Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8181
Well, gee, Steve wants opinions on source, too.
I love this guy already.
cdp is a Rega Apollo.
dvdp is an Oppo dv87(or equivelant).
5.1 receiver is a Pioneer Elite, choose how much to spend, or get the H/K 3480(or equivelant).
A good matching center channel speaker with the MA's, and whatever you have now as leftovers for surrounds.
Add beer.
Voila!(or equivelant).

Florida

Post Number: 4
Nuck - Thanks for your source auggestions. The Apollo looks like the way to go, from all I have read and opinions I have seen.

A/V receiver is your preferred route instead of others. Is it because of ease, budget, or both. Is Elite considered a top brand (value) for the $$$ or is Denon better (I know, Denons cost more). Thanks again. I knew this wasn't going to be easy.................

Off the do some auditioning!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 606
Steve,

If you are mainly watching sports or whatever why even bother with the expense of a surround receiver?

Get a quality 2 channel, perhaps a Rotel, the Apollo is a winner for sure, and the Monitor Audios. I had them for a few years before upgrading to my Gallos.

It came down to the Monitor Audio speakers or the Paradigms at time for me and I chose the Silver RS8s, better timing and pace, particularly on the lower frequencies.

The reason I suggest forgoing the HT route is that with an Apollo, which I ran on the MAs, and a decent 2 channel amp you really do not need a center channel. It would not sound any different IMO. Of course this means no surround speakers either, could be better for WAF.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 372
hmmmmm, there's a guy I didn't expect to hear from for a coupla weeks.

Florida

Post Number: 5
Michael:

WAF? I don't follow. Forgive the newbie here. I will be watching movies as well. I agree if I was strictly going the audio route. Audio will be my main use but it will be used for movies (other half will definitely question the equipment purchases if it can't be used for movies), unless you are stating the 2 channel route will suffice for movies, just not surround (if I follow correctly).

Florida

Post Number: 6
Also, regardless of the direction I end up deciding on, I am wondering if the room layout where the system is going to be placed is going to be easy to picture when auditioning. I know this is a difficult forecast for everyone.

The room it is being placed in is an open floor plan (13 x 24 w/ a 13 ft. ceiling, sloped downward on both sides in the middle of the room) w/ hardwood floors and a set of french doors to one side and a small hallway on the other. The dining area is also incorporated off of the same area, adding another 10 x 14 sq. ft. It will be placed against an 8 ft. sofit wall that separates the great room from the kitchen area (kitchen area also has the same 13 ft ceiling. I guess the terminology might be reflective, but I'm not sure.

I have a multimedia computer in the same room with two speakers and a small sub and the audio sounds pretty darn good on such a small set up and it is in the same room.

Regardless, my neighbors will be pissed for sure. It will be loud.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1204
Personally, I'm not too fond of pissing off the neighbors, but that's just me.

If I was me, I'd consider this 5.1 set-up

Harmon Kardon AVR 147
Infinity Beta 50
Infinity Beta E250
Infinity Beta C360
Infinity Beta SW-12

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/805infinity/index1.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1207
Or for 2-Ch,

Harmon Kardon 3480
Marantz SR4021
NAD C720BEE (my choice)
Outlaw Audio RR2150

& a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v4.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2029
Steve,

WAF means Wife Accetpance Factor. A lot of wives don't like decorating with speakers and other stereo gear. Most want something invisible.

On the topic of 2 channel vs surround...

What do you watch? Do you watch a lot of movies with big explosions and special effects? If so surround may be the way to go. No two channel system will give you the background effects like a surround system will.

I watch a lot of sports, comedies and sitcoms. There's really not too much going on sound wise other than some background music, voices, and occasional sound effects. For me, a surround system is a waste of money.

If your viewing habits are like mine, a 2 channel stereo will be more than suffecient. I have my stereo hooked up to the TV and sounds great to my ears. If the speakers are set up properly, you don't need a center speaker. A good pair of speakers set up right will keep the voices and everything else where it should be.

I understand why you haven't specified a budget. It depends on what your money can get you. Using round numbers,lets say you have $1500 for speakers. For $1500, if you go the surround route, you're going to get 6 mediocre at best speakers. If you're get 2 speakers for the same amount of money, you can get an excellent pair of speakers.

Then there's the receiver. Most surround receivers don't do music much justice. Very few $1500 surround receivers can do music the as good as a $1000 2 channel integrated amp or seperates.

DVD players are similar also. Very few do music like a stand alone CD player. If your serious about music, you should get a good dedicated CD player for music, and a DVD player for movies.

The best advice I can give you is go to a local stereo shop. Not Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, but a stereo specialty shop. They should also have a few surround systems set up. Hear a few dedicated stereos that are set up properly. Forget about prices, just listen and ask what makes a good stereo. A good dealer should be able to show you what to look for and answer most questions. Don't immediately impulsively buy. But, don't take up the dealer's time, then shop online for what he showed you and under cut him. A great dealer is getting harder to find everyday.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8197
Hear, Hear!

Florida

Post Number: 7
Thanks Stu. Your post has fine tuned the other opinions offered here. Thanks.

Florida

Post Number: 8
Im going to audition some Rega gear. I'll post again after to let you guys know how it goes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8232
Steve, music will never be the same.
Have fun!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2043
Rega makes some great gear. I don't think there's a better bargain out there. Add to that most Rega dealers are great sources of information - Rega chooses their dealers pretty wisely - and you're definitely going about it the right way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us