Hk+klipsch=?

Username: Killergoat117

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 5
im a poor college student with a little cash to spend on a stereo....im looking at the hk-3480 stereo receiver and a pair of klipsch rb-81's...leave feedback and suggestions please...

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10989

I hope you have a shotgun 'cause you're gonna be calling geese with that combination.

Honk! Honk!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 155
Jan-LOL

Michael-H/K and those Klipsch speakers will not go well together. The horn tweeters will need something with a low noise floor. wow...ahh..Jan help me out here. Denon maybe? I hear Denon is suppose to be good with Klipsch.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10991

Denon's OK.

Why'd you pick those two products, MA? Whajja' lookin' for?

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 6
alright...thanks...ill look at denon...i was just trying to find a cheaper stereo receiver that could power them well...

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 834
Have you listened to the speakers in question? What kind of amplification did they use for the demo?

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 7
i havent listened to them yet...i dont have a lot of options in south dakota to demo speakers....other than best buy or walmart...lol...when i get down to school ill go to tulsa and see whats there...or jan if theres a place in dallas that u could recommend me that would be great!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 158
Michael, the reason why I said Denon is because a place in my home town called Linden Audiotronics carry Klipch and always demo them with a 2 channel Denon receiver. Plus I have read that Denon and Klipch match very well.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10993

Michael, we don't let no Okies cross the Texas border unless we're gonna wupyurass in a football game.

'Sides, there ain't crap down here for hifi.

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 8
jan...no need to fret...i go to school in arkansas...john brown university to be exact...lol

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 835
If it were me, I'd pick up something I could at least listen to prior to making any financial commitment. I suspect that kind of cash wasn't particularly easy for you to come by, so why drop it so easily?

What are you expecting out of a set of speakers?
What made you interested in the Klipsch RB-81?

If you want my honest opinion, I'd say that if you just got the RB-81s and the HK receiver, you'd be sorely disappointed. Given that your car audio setup features two subwoofers, I'm not sure what kind of magic you're expecting a pair of bookshelf speakers to pull off. They surely won't put out the kind of bass you're used to. I'd rearrange your budget for a subwoofer, and start listening to speakers in the 350 and under bracket.

Go to Best Buy and check out the Klipsch Synergy line, and the Insignia bookshelf speakers. BB has a decent return policy, so by all means take a pair to evaluate at home. If they don't do it for you, return them. Maybe look at an online only brand like Aperion. They are one of the few that will pay the shipping costs both ways if you are not satisfied with their product; again you don't lose if you aren't satisfied. Either way, the point is to listen to the speakers. I think you might be surprised as to what you'll find.

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 9
im sorry haha...i did forget to mention i do have a sub that im going to use...its a 15" adire audio brahma mk 1...its in a 5 cubic foot box tuned to 22hz...its gona be hooked up to a crown ce1000...should be plenty on the bass side...i was looking at klipsch because ive noticed that they have a brighter sound...i like a brighter sound...also they have the ability to get loud with little power...which is kinda what im looking for...i also have looked into getting an eq...to help myself have more control over how it sounds...

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 10
but yea i will def head to best buy when i find some time and check some stuff out thanks stephen...ps...what do u think of the brahma + a pair of bookshelfs....good idea?...im not looking to blast windows open or anything...i just want my music to sound amazing...but once in a while, while up in the dorm i want the ability to get quite loud...what do u think?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 839
Can't really comment on the Brahma and how they'll mate with a bookshelf.

As far as Klipsch goes, yes they can be bright, and they definitely do loud. However, if that is all you're after, I sincerely doubt you'll appreciate the differences between the $700 RB-81s and the $330 B-3.

Bronze Member

Sioux Falls, SD USA

Post Number: 11
you are probably right...as for me ive never been spoiled by extreme sound quality in home audio...right now i have a pair of old school 4way speakers hooked up to an aiwa 30wx2 amp...haha...LAME...im sure that the b-3's would be a gigantic step up for me...and probably a smarter decision right now anyway money wise...ill check out the b-3's at best buy on different receivers and see that i like...if you have any other recommendations speaker wise in the $400/pair price range let me know!

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 840
I'd also check out Infinity's Primus and Beta lines, JBL, Paradigm's Monitor line, and Polk, among others.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8169
MA that Adire sub is gonna walk all over the stereo speakers.
Maybe you prefer more bass driven music and presentation over what some people would call a 'balanced' presentation. No harm in that.
But if you like a brighter sound, then, yes, do try the smaller Klipch, especially if your receiver hasn't got balls to the walls power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us