Interference from baby monitor?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 199
I have 4 speakers on my deck outside. These are driven by an old NAD 2150, fed from the pre-outs of a Kenwood receiver, which in turn uses the sound card of a computer in the basement from which I play MP3s (bear with me here... I'm getting to the point).

Last night I went to bed but forgot to shut down the amp and the receiver. I was awoken by my doorbell at 2:00 am by a neighbour (from 2 houses away!) saying that my outdoor speakers were keeping him awake.

It seems that something was causing the speakers to make an insanely loud buzzing sound at about 15 second intervals. It was so loud, in fact, that he heard it from 2 houses away with all his windows closed and the A/C running full tilt.

The only thing I can think of is that we have a baby monitor on at night. Would this be causing some sort of electrical interference? It's never happened before.

Hopefully I haven't zapped my speakers.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10959

Sounds like you should be asking Art Bell this question. If the baby monitor has never leaked into the system prior to last night, there's not a good possibility it managed on this one occasion. I would think about what might cause a buzzing sound at 15 second intervals. Possibly a police car using night vision to check for dope growing in your attic. Otherwise, do the words, "Klaatu barada nikto", mean anything to ya, Kingfish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10960

I'm more curious why your neighbor 2 houses away with all his windows closed and the A/C running full tilt could hear this and you could not. Maybe there's no real need to buy more hifi, Dave.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 200
I was kinda curious about that myself actually.

It was loud enough for me to hear it in the house as well, I was just so tired I slept through it. As I was running downstairs after the doorbell rang, with the dog going crazy, I could hear this really loud "zzzzzzzzzttttttt - zzzzzzzzzttttttt - zzzzzzzzzttttttt ..." and was thinking "WTF is that?".

I'm sure all my neighbours love me today, LOL.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8133
I heard Klaatu...thought it was the Beatles.

Dave, y'all got some nasty interference from somewhere.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2004
"I'm more curious why your neighbor 2 houses away with all his windows closed and the A/C running full tilt could hear this and you could not."

I was thinking the same thing.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 362
The answer is simple (happens to me all the time) .....Neighbor was sleeping, Dave was passed out.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10963

Ohhh, well then ...

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 155
can you get it to buzz now?
try unplugging stuff, starting with the baby monitor until the buzz goes away?
Is it a 60hz buzz? Ground Loop?
Is house built on old Indian burial mound?
Maybe start at NAD and go backwards to source?
Gort has nothing to do with it.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 202
I haven't had a chance to try everything out since the "incident" the other night. I've had this setup going for the duration of the summer and never had this happen before.

Would a 60 Hz buzz be steady or intermittent like this one was?

The volume on my receiver was turned down quite low, but this buzz was at an unbelievable volume. Picture a NAD 2150 playing static at FULL volume!

If it was the weekend the passed out theory would quite plausible ;-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8143
Barring the Indian burial ground theory(which I am not discounting out of hand), something is getting into your ground for the amp.
Plug it into another outlet.
Is it plugged into a surge suppressor/power bar?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 205
Hey Nuck - yes, it's plugged into a powerbar, plugged into a powerbar, plugged into a powerbar... well you get the idea.

Said gear is in the rec-room with a TV, my son's computer, HT receiver, stereo receiver, video consoles, etc, etc. Lots of potential for interference you might say.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Maybe try a small isolation transformer with ground lifted for low current stuff?
Does problem go away with any of the OTHER stuff not connected to this system shut off?
once again....is it a 60hz hum? hmmmmm?
exorcism is next.
you need to start TRYING something.....nearly anything to start isolating problem......

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10970

Maybe turn the equipment off and switch the speakers out of line at night.

Or, you could try a dozen other fixes.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 206
I wouldn't rule out the Indian burial ground or the exorcism - there's been some weird sh!t going on here lately!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10971

Well, then I refer you back to Mr. Bell.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 207
Is Mr. Bell a priest?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10972

http://www.answers.com/topic/art-bell

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/art/about.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
I know!
You are near an airport and are in the 'sweep' of there radar.......everytime it passes, your stuff goes nuts. 15 second interval would be how long it takes to go around again. Some component in the amp is acting as a microwave antenna!
Quick, put tin foil on everything and see.
makes at least as much sense as a haunting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us