KLH Model 6 - worth a try?

Username: Krf

Marietta, GA USA

Post Number: 1
Hello. I have an opportunity to buy some vintage (Henry Kloss days) KLH Model 6 speakers - excellent condition. Are they worth a try? I am running an old Pioneer setup (SX7700 integrated amp) and Klipsch Quartets and they are a bit too bright in my current room - looking for a more mellow sound. Your feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10947

I would say, no. The Six's were good for their day, but I suspect that day has gone by. Even the crossover in the Six is dated at this point. I find it a little difficult to believe a pair of Six's are still intact with the original drivers and woofer surrounds.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5126
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?

Great resource for answers relative to vintage gear.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 814
I'd say instead of the KLH Model Six, try your hand at the CSW Model Six.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_bookshelf%26i tem%3Dc1m6bkpr

Largely based off the KLH Model Six but with a few updates. And of course, if you happen not to like them, they have a 45 day return policy.

Of course there are a few things worth mentioning, having owned these speakers. They do throw up a solid wall of sound. Tonally, they have a good balance, and the bass is solid, deep, and of decent quality.

However, given the age of the design and price of the speakers, weaknesses do exist. For starters, the tweeter is of a large cone type, which means high end dispersion will be limited. Secondly, the cabinet is fairly lively. Thirdly, the crossover is of fairly cheap construction. The result of these things is that in the end, imaging is simply not there.

Now, if you don't know or don't care what imaging is, by all means, order a pair of Model Sixes to try out. It will make most comparably priced speakers in your local Best Buy sound like garbage in comparison. However, if you're the type that needs to be able to pick out a cello in an orchestra, look elsewhere.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10950

I've only heard the CSW Six's once. I sold the KLH model for several years. I didn't think the CSW model was similar in sound to the KHL. An updated look alike for sure, but not so much sound. I would have to think even Kloss felt it time to update the sound of his original design. The CSW would be a warm sounding speaker even if it were placed in a gymnasium. If that's the sound you want, the CSW would be worth listening to.

Bronze Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 64
Are they worth a try? Yes, especially if you can return them. Just because they are dated does not automatically mean you won't find them appealing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us