Planar 3 slows down and stops.

Username: Jpgr

Post Number: 1
Hi all, O.K. I know that this has come up before and I've read and learned a-lot about this problem in past threads but still no luck.
Let me describe the problem and my attempts at solving it
First off I bought my planar 3 second hand in Sept. '06 I think at that time the seller said it was 5 years old, and had been sitting packed away for a couple of years. Anyway it worked like a dream and I was over the moon ( I paid $550, or there abouts Can.) Now in Dec. of that year my wife and I moved to Seoul South Korea; we had planned on staying four or five years, but as my wife fell ill we returned to Can after only one year. While I was in Seoul I left my Rega with my best friend to use and take care of for me; I figured it was better off being used than siting in storage. Well I finally went and picked it up this past weekend and when I got it home and unpacked (After a five hour drive) it ran slow and then stopped. At first I thought it was the drive-belt, but after surffing this here interweb I suspected that during transport it probably lost some lubricant from the main bearing. So I removed the sub-platter to check and low-and-behold there was the tell tale sign of oil on the top of the shaft. So I cleaned it up and after reading some old threads here I added 4 drops of Hypoid gear oil and then replaced the sub-platter. Everything seemed fine but As the turntable made it's way down and seated, at the end of side two, record one of The White Album it slowed down and stopped once again. And regardless of how much Oil I put in it continues to happen.
To be precise, What happens is the sup-platter and turntable stop, the belt stays stationary and the spindle and pulley continue to spin. If I remove the turntable the sub-platter resumes spinnning. If I put a record on the sub-platter it actually plays at the correct speed and does not slow.

So what gives? After all of that could it be the belt anyway? I mean it shows no wear that I can see , and My buddy didn't really use it all that much.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance Charles.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10918

You need a new belt. Clean the pulley and the rim of the subplater with achohol. Clean the new belt with alchohol and then verrrrrry lightly dust the belt with talcum powder. Shake the loose powder off the belt before placing it on the table.

Clean the old bearing oil from the main bearing and standing shaft. If I remember correctly, there should be a small thrust bearing at the bottom of the Rega's main shaft which will be a ball bearing. If this is the case, do not loose this bearing. Clean the shaft and bearing completely and then repalce the oil with a sufficient amount that the oil covers the bearing fully when the platter is placed on top of the subplatter. This should take more than a few drops. You can order bearing oil from Rega or use a Teflon/silicone light grease. Or use Marvel Mystery Oil from the auto supply house.

Post Number: 2
Thanks a bunch Jan. I was starting to worry that there may be something more serious at issue here. I didn't find a ball bearing at the bottom of the shaft, how sure are you that it should be there? Can I order one, or get a third party ball bearing of the same tolerances? I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10920

I haven't been around a Rega table in two decades so I'm not absolutely certain the ball bearing is there. But most standing bearing designs such as the Rega do not allow the dimensionally large surface area of the thrust bearing to physically touch the physically large bottom, and by way of pricing irregular surface, of the shaft. In order to simplify production costs, a ball is inserted to minimize contact area beween the two surfaces in order to reduce friction and therefore noise. So, I'm reasonably sure the Rega has such a bearing. The ball may be stuck in the bottom of the shaft by way of old oil turning to goo. If you cannot retrieve a ball from the shaft, call a Rega dealer to double check that I am correct. They can further advise on the correct way to clean and refurbish the bearing. You'll need to contact a dealer to order the belt also.

Post Number: 3
Great. I just spoke to a dealer, who is about an hour or so away, about the belt, which he stocks regularly, so when I go in to pick it up I'll see what he has to say about the ball bearing. Thanks agian!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8088
I haven't been around a Rega table in two decades

Nice 20 yr memory, JV!

Username: Revolver

SkelmorlieScotland

Post Number: 9
The ball bearing is easily plucked out using a long narrow magnetic screwdriver.I replaced mine with a ceramic one I picked up on ebay and found to be a worthwhile inexpensive upgrade.
A while back I also tried a ptfe insert, placed between the origanal steel bearing and shaft,but wasnt happy with the results.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8091
If anyone needs a long thin magnetic screwdriver like Tom's, grab a few feet of thin insulated wire.
Wrap it tightly around the shaft of the tool, about half the length. Expose each end of the conductor to bare wire, and touch the ends quickly across the terminals of a 12 volt auto battery.
It is now magnetic.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10927

Won't help you much trying to rerieve that ceramic ball.

SkelmorlieScotland

Post Number: 10
Too True ! Just as well it was an improvement over the stock rega or would be a case of turntable inversion.

Post Number: 4
Thanks guys.
Hey, Tom what was your keyword when you 'found 'that ceramic ball on ebay? Or more importantly what should mine be?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8108
Glass Balls.

ebay an athletic support and cup as well.

Post Number: 5
Well nothing usable came up with either of those searches, but thanks anyway Nuck. Tom?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8111
There is also a Delron replacement, without the ceramic noise, and it requires no lubrication.
Chas I am looking for either, fruitlessly.

Post Number: 6
Well if I locate any before youdo I'll pick up an extra for you. If you want it - great, we'll talk. If you don't want it I'll have an extra for myself.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10935

Nuck, you need extra balls? I assume Helen knows this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8112
I..er..well..ah...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10938

Audiophile humor.

Dealer: "Hello, Whatjamacallit Hifi."

Caller: "Eh, yeah, you got steel balls in your drawers?"

click

Bronze Member

SkelmorlieScotland

Post Number: 11
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D260113863837

Dont think this guy is selling these at the moment.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1999
If you need to replace the bearings, check out Deep Groove and Groove Tracer.

Deep Groove makes a kit with bearings and a sub platter that's said to increase performance. I've read a few very good reviews of their product.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=ADEEPGROOVE

Post Number: 7
Well, well, well. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get my wife think buying this for me for my birthday is her idea. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us