Boston Acoustics VR3's

Bronze Member
Username: Mcmanigalmj

Post Number: 13
Does anyone happen to own a pair of the Boston Acoustics VR3's or know much about them?

Bronze Member
Username: Mcmanigalmj

Post Number: 14
anybody at all?

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1087
No,

But, I have listened to a pair. Does that help?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8051
Careful, Matt, these could be considered billable posts.
No experience, sorry.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1443
Have'nt heard them so I haven't commented. But now I know someone who has, if that helps.

Not the answers you were after eh Matt?

:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1088
Matt,

Huppin's One Call in Spokane, WA has them on sale right now at $279 a pair in cherry or black with no shipping for 3 day FedEx. But, I haven't listened to them for several months. Does that help?

Nuck is correct, I do start billing on the 3rd post. Good Luck, Dave.

Silver Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 144
I have VR2s and love them. That help? :-)

That's an awesome deal at Onecall, too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8107
Hiya, Mister. LTNS
How does the Rega treat those Boston speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 356
I haven't heard the Boston Acoustic VR3's but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Username: Redhawk

Post Number: 1
I own a pair of the VR3s and think the world of them. Mine have a nice cherry finish. The build quality seems exceptional. As for the sound - terrific. Even though this room is FAR from optimal to let these speakers stretch out (some of you would probably shoot me for keeping these in such a confined area with so much sound-absorbing junk around), they perform beautifully. I have demoed the Polks and Inifities around that price range and have to say the VR3's blow 'em away. Even demoing equipment at the local Best Buy (one of them with Magnolia), they sounded better than the Mirage and Definitive Technologies offerings, but edged out by the much more expensive Viennas and Martin Logans.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8117
Aw we won't shoot ya Pat.
Maybe a brick through your window, but that's about it.
Well maybe a horses head in your bed.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 145
Hey Nuck,

Personally I think the Bostons and Mira mate very well, although I don't have a great ground of referernce to compare. At first I had the Bostons hooked up to a HK3480 (if you recall), and the Mira and Bostons just went to a different stratosphere. Now that could have just been all the Mira. But I think the 'match' between the two helped as well. The Bostons are able to render the Mira's PRaT beautifully.

Maybe one of these days I'll finally lug my Ascends (be nice:-)) up from the home theater just to see how they react to the Mira, too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8124
Why not?
If the match isn't great, I bet you know the speakers aren't up to the task, and can help another poster.
I am curious..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1089
Mister Tom,

Lug the Ascends away. I've played my 170s and 340s with my vintage Fisher and they sounded wonderful, although a little light in the bass, especially on the 170s. But then again, I'm comparing them to my ALs, which are full range. I think you'll be wonderfully surprised. Way back when, I A/Bed the Altecs against some VR1s and thought the Ascends sounded better. Good luck, Dave

Gold Member

Post Number: 1090
Whoops, that should have been A/Bed teh VR1s against the Ascends, LOL. Dave

Gold Member

Post Number: 1091
Mister Tom,

That should have been A/Bed the VR1s against the Ascends.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5132
Or A/B'd...but who knows...

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 146
I A/B'd the VR2s and Ascend 340 SEs very briefly today along with my fiance, and the Bostons came out on top for both of us. Deepened my apprication for the VR2s. They definitely do fit very well into my system. Bostons have somewhat of a rep for being bright, but, for music, they were slightly smoother and slightly richer than the Ascends. The Ascends being more detailed (and I still think a great fit for home theater).

Any way you slice it the deal at Onecall on the VR3s is a home run at $279 apeice. These have been selling at like $630 apiece for the last two years.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 147
And for what it's worth when I originally bought the VR2s I A/B'd them against simiarly priced Polks at Circuit City. The Bostons absolutely crushed them and it wasn't close.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5134
I was recently shopping for potential rear channels and thought that the Polks were awful.

Like MT I like the Boston's far better than the Ascends.

BTW I decided that budget speakers (I don't consider your Boston's in this category) are so bad that I'll do without rears for the time being. By FAR the best in the cheap category were the Infinity Primus speakers. However they were not very attractive and would not blend into my living space....bummer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us