Crossed MartinLogan Clarity off my upgrade list....

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 727
As most of you know, I wanted to upgrade to a pair of MartinLogan Clarity speakers, being impressed with them the times I have heard them.

I had Melissa Etheridge, "Yes I Am" with me this time. This was the disc that really broke her out. I wanted to hear how the Logans coped with her throaty voice.

Well, to say I was underwhelmed is an understatement. Her voice uncovered a nasty resonance in the woofer enclosure, emphasized on nasal consonants and blurring the transients. I realise that her voice is unique, but it baffles me that I didn't hear it before.

Yes, I listened to a variety of styles with a variety of vocals, but it is usually the same material. I, like most of you, have my "autition material", but wanted to bring something else that I tend to listen to frequently.

I have heard this CD on a system fronted by the Innersound Eros, so AFAIK what I heard is in the CD.

but ugh, as soon as that became obvious to me, nothing sounded right in the 300-500hz region.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10861

Ya gotta wonder how they sell 'em at all.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 729
"I have heard this CD on a system fronted by the Innersound Eros, so AFAIK what I heard is in the CD. "

sorry... what I heard that I believe to be cabinet resonance is NOT in the CD.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5100
I've long said that ML's are not a speaker that I covet. Something about them has never quite sounded right to me. Preference I guess.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 742
I don't think the Clarity will ever sound right to me now. Glad I noticed that now before it could have become an expensive regret down the road.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us