Best value amp for this small HT setup?

Username: Ntrudeau

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I'm looking to kick my small home theater / entertainment center up a notch with an amplifier. I currently have an HK 325 paired with a set of polk bookshelfs rt4si and a velodyne dps-12 powered sub. It sounds pretty good as it is but I do find I have to have the volume up pretty high to get the kind of sound I want out of the speakers. The bass is great on it's own ... assume because it is powered and velodyne:-) This is used almost strictly for movies and of course some TV shows. However, I do use the setup often (maybe 10 hours a week or more).

I'm completely confused after a lot of reading on forums like avs about amplifiers for home theater. I've read about people using pa's and such to get a good amp for a great price. I've also read about brands like rotel and crown, but start to see double when I do a search on ebay for these as there are so many. I have no way of trying before I buy so I usually just try to get information from forums like this and shop on ebay for both new and used.

TIA for any informed opinions on this one. I'd like to spend $500 or less as this is just another improvement and like many I am on a budget ... but I'm open to all suggestions.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10860

I don't think you should buy anything without listening first. I assume you did that with this system and now you're unhappy and want to change it. Seems like you'd be making the same mistake twice if you just buy something else without hearing it first.

Othwerwise, I'd change the speakers. But that's another part of the forum.

Post Number: 2
How do you get to listen before you buy? Unless you mean in a store showroom (not my room), I'm not sure how many people can do this?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10865

"How do you get to listen before you buy?"

You ask someone to turn that piece on.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8009
Nicholas, I can just imagine your setup now, and I can pick the dps12 sub as an issue that you might want to address.
It is too heavy and slow for your lighter setup.
I have the same one, with a fairly loud and racous setup, and it barely holds up there.

Ditch the sub(disconnect) and try sommore acoustic music, and work with your speaker placement.

My call from the cheap seats is that the sub is killing Grand Funk Railroad.

Post Number: 3
"You ask someone to turn that piece on."

Yes, of course we all know that. In a store showroom. Not all of us have access to store showrooms with loads of audio equipment to test. The best I know of around here is sound advice, circuit city, and best buy. I'm sure there are a few high end stereo shops too, but I really don't want to venture in and deal with those guys. By definition they only carry top of the line and/or their prices suck.

The point I was trying to make is that the piece may indeed sound different in your room, so the only true try before you buy would be to be able to "borrow" the piece and set it up at my place.

At any rate, I didn't say I was completely unhappy with my setup. In fact I've setup two audio rigs in my house just from tips on forums and reading reviews. I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with either. Just like anyone else, I'd always like to try to improve within my budget though :-)

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10866

"I'm sure there are a few high end stereo shops too, but I really don't want to venture in and deal with those guys. By definition they only carry top of the line and/or their prices suck>"

Then, sir, you will always have a midfi systems and the word "suck" will apply to other matters. If you aren't interested in owning better components, I have nothing I can offer as advice.

Post Number: 4
Jan,

What is your damage?! My God. I stated in the OP that I wanted to spend around $500. Of course I'm interested in "better" components. Aren't we all?! Just to let you know, you've done a good job of wasting bandwidth while not even attempting to help anyone. Thanks for nothing, and I guess the insults to me and my setups are free?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10869

If you like, they've cost me nothing but time.

You aren't going to find better components unless you go where better components are sold.

Understand?

Post Number: 5
Jan,

Yes, I understand you are of no use here ... except maybe to pitch patronization of local stereo shops. I run a small business myself, but I don't think I'd want the likes of you pitching my business. I wouldn't get many new customers that way.

Again, where did I ask for you to come on this thread and insult me, pitch patronization of local stereo shops, and above all offer ZERO answers, advice, or informed opinion on the OP?! Understand?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8011
Nicholas, what do yo think about bypassing the sub and maximizing your speakers?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10870

What do you want me to suggest, NT? Go to your not-local big box store and buy some more mid-fi junk? Why don't you get over yourself and listen to some logic? My advice is buy better stuff. You don't like that advice, take somebody else's advice. You must run a hell of a business if you can't see and sell value rather than price. Big box stores sell junk! You bought junk and now you want to change it but you want more junk. If you think "pitch patronization of local shops" is a sin, well, really, there's no hope.

Now, tell me why that's insulting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8016
ferfucksakes Nick will you pay attention to what I am saying?
More discussion will lead you to a dealer, but what you have now is the issue, yes?
Disconnect the sub and work the speakers in the room.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 90
NT try floorstanding speakers, they should give you more volume at lower levels, and god man can you at least thank nuck for the advise that he has given? its good advise.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8020
shawnboy is in no way associated with Nuck Inc. or it's affiliates.

Post Number: 6
OK, fine Jan. That's how you want to play? Putting words in my mouth? Now you are saying I bought my stuff from a big box store?! I didn't and I didn't say that. I said I shop it online ... mainly Ebay.

Also, the ONLY thing you've directly pointed out as being bad in my setup is my RTi4's. How do you explain this review? http://www.audioreview.com/POLKRTI4crx.aspx

I supposed this review, my opinion, and every other person who has said "d*mn! those speakers sound good" is wrong too and you are right?!

and before you make something else up, I'm NOT claiming anything in my setup to be top shelf. For the tenth time, I'm on a BUDGET. I'm not up for going out and buying whatever equipment money can buy. Apparently, you have plenty of cash and always go for the best regardless of cost. Some of us are looking for a great VALUE because we have a limited budget .... which is something else that is apparently lost on you.

Post Number: 7
Nuck,

I don't know what you are trying to say? I thought you were joking or being sarcastic. I use the setup for HT. It sounds like crap with the sub disconnected. Done that many time before. Is your idea just to adjust the speakers with the sub disconnected? Ok, fine whatever. At any rate the point of the post was to look for a component to boost up my power a bit. If you simply don't think it's going to help then fine. However, simply disconnecting the sub is not to my liking. I even use a sub in my music/dance room.

Post Number: 8
""pitch patronization of local shops" is a sin, well, really, there's no hope. "

LOL. You are too much. Where did I say that?! You like to make stuff up. I said that's all you were doing and it's not helping me out. I didn't even imply it was a "sin". WTF?!

Silver Member
Username: Darth

Post Number: 123
for a budget option this might interest you

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVER-AV-405-POWER-AMPLIFIER-AMP-W-MANUAL-NR_W0QQitemZ15014 2694582QQihZ005QQcategoryZ14973QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or check a few of these, some seem to fit in your budget

http://www.pickleshopping.com/cgi/search.pl?S=5+channel&C=14970

good luck

Gold Member

Post Number: 8023
I am serious, Nicholas. You are on the right path with wanting more power, but only because that sub is overbearing your smaller mains(from what it seems).If you have tried that already, then OK, that was just a thought for you. No harm.

The Carver that Vader linked is from a very good maker(so long as it works properly), it is heavy and lists it's power consumption numbers. I have a Rotel RB985 5 channel power amp which serves the same purpose that you want to fill, it was cheap on the block from a dealer I frequent, with the benefits of buying from a good dealer.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10872

NT - You have other folks who seem to want their opinions heard also. Choose which you want to believe and take the advice to the local big box. Or, at least, call a local mom and pop high end shop and ask their advice and what they might sell within your budget that would help you out. I assume talking to a local merchant is not too much for you. If they can't help, they'll tell you so. If they can, you may be pleasantly surprised.

For now, go take your blood pressure medicine.

Post Number: 9
Nuck, Vader,

Thanks for the tips. Those prices seem pretty good on some of the older amps. I'm still confused about a few things though. I'm currently at about 50WPC with the HK 325. They also claim to have the "high current" amp technology.

From what I've read, a lot of people improve the system by amplifying the left, center, and right front speakers. So, if I go that route with my current speakers (polk bookshelf) ... what might be a good target wpc rating? Wouldn't it be better to go with a higher wattage pair of 2 channel amps or one 3 channel amp? Granted, I might change my speakers in the future and I think I might go with those larger floorstanding ones you mentioned. However, right now it seems to make more sense to upgrade my amp/receiver situation first as those speakers are likely to be a lot more money and will probably do better with more power anyway?

Post Number: 10
Jan,

Again, I completely agree with you on your point about the local shops. It's just that I've been OK with my home theater and audio as a DIY. I know I've spent a lot more time on it than necessary and probably haven't the absolute best setup for the money. However, I'm in the computer business and I see and hear from the customers of the local shops for home AV. Long story short, these few that I run into have big budgets and they pay A LOT for what they get. The rest of my lower budget customers don't seem to ever wind up as customers of the local stereo shops. Perhaps the local shops do cater to smaller budget customers too. I guess I haven't thought about that.

On a side note, what do you all think about Sound Advice? I've heard all kinds of things about this outfit. I've been in there once or twice and it really reminded me of being on a car lot so I left as quicly as possible.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10876

I don't know Sound Advice. If I am uncomfortable in a shop due to the hubbub or the generally teenage staff, I don't believe I would want to spend much time there unless I knew what I wanted and could quickly get in and out. Auditioning components dosn't usually work that way. You cannot appreciate a product if you're hearing five other systems playing in the background.

There are still high end shops that carry trade in or consignment merchandise. These can offer very good value since the shop probably can tell you a bit about the component and possibly advise on its desirability to your situation. Most high end shops don't try to compete with big box stores. But they carry product lines that can appeal to a broad section of the market. Not all shops can stay in business selling only $50k systems. Ask some of your clients where they shop and what component lines the shops carry in stock which might suit your needs. Above all, small shops survive on value oriented gear at the low end of the price range. Despite glowing reviews in any magazine, Polk leaves a lot to be desired. But, you can find a good review of damn near any product.

A good high end shop is a place where you can ask questions and hopefully get educated answers. Don't do your shopping on a weekend. Possibly call ahead and ask if the shop can demonstrate something that might be of interest to you and then set up an appointment for a quiet time when you can listen and ask questions. Setting up your system properly can make a tremendous difference in what you hear from even simple components. This should be another advantage of a small shop, to help you get the most from your purchase at any price and not just move on the the next customer waiting to buy a video game.

Call.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10877

And do not judge your prospective purchase by eBay pricing. High end products are fairly priced at retail. Ask if the shop can offer a discount but do not walk away from a superior product just becuase you can get a bigger "deal" on something off the internet. Often the value of a high end shop is aftersales service, which isn't included at web prices. They are your values to work with, but I feel if I've taken someone's time and experience in a local shop, it's rather unfair to undercut their price by going on line. If a pre owned product is for sale at a lower price on the net, ask what the shop can do to make the difference more palatable. If the local shops aren't supported, they will go away. That will leave nothing but big box stores full of seventeen year old "audio consultants". I'm sure you understand that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8028
Excellent, JV!
Nicholas, I found my kit used at a good dealer.
I would never, ever discount the pro's for information and sourcing.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 71
lol I go away for two days and look what happens. How can I miss such entertainment?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us