Project Debut III Synergy?

Username: Amerlop

Post Number: 1
Aight, so here's my info. Somewhat new to Hifi. I got sucked in recently because I bought a new turntable and phono stage (I'm a vinyl collector)...so I bought a Pro-ject Debut III (because that's the best non-dj turntable I could find in my area of CT) and I bought a Bellari VP129 (online, because I found a good deal, 190 bucks full warranty and I'm a guitar dork, so I figured tube=good, ha).

Well, needless to say, it made a world of difference (albeit a bit laid back, but whatever) even with my very mass-market speakers and amp (a pair of 3 1/2 way Yamaha Floorstanders and a Yamaha Hometheatre receiver running in two channel mode).

So, now it's time for a intergrated amp/speaker upgrade. I'll spend 1000 bucks total (give or take a few hundred). So, gents, i ask for your reccomendations. Keep this is mind:

1- I have a small listening room, so monitors are okay. Hopefully, it won't be that much of a step down from the floorstanders
2- I listen to mostly rock and jazz. Most of listening experience is in studios so I guess I tend to favor stuff thats a little more forward sounding. I do care so much for imaging or soundstaging....most PRaT and making instruments sound like instruments, voices sound like voices, etc.
3- and probably, most importantly, I know that much is made of system synergy or using products that were designed to go with each other. So how does this apply to Pro-ject turntables? Does it apply at all? I know they are made in the same factory as some Music Hall stuff but that's about all I know.

Thanks guys! Also, I know that everybody asks questions like these, so I apologize for any redundancy/stupid questions

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1973
Adam,

Judging by what you've said so far, I'd suggest looking into a Rotel and Paradigm combo. Generally speaking for the two brands, they've got a great synergy. I owned a Debut 3 and moved up to a 1Xpression. I demoed both on a Rotel/Paradigm setup, and the synergy there was excellent as well.

I'm not exactly sure of what current prices are, but I'd be willing there is a combination in your price range.

Another combo that may fit in your price range is a Rega Brio 3 and R1 speakers. They're a fantastic combination, and from what you say you're looking for sound wise, may be right up your alley. I don't know how well they'll synergize with the Debut 3 though. If you're in southern CT, you may want to check out Accent on Music in Mt Kisco, NY. They're a great"flat earth" shop.

Here's their contact info -

(914) 242-0747
175 E Main St,
Mount Kisco, NY 10549

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 100
i use the debut III with cambridge azur 540A v1
and PSB image B25 speakers,and the sound is excellent.
the cambridge and PSB's would also fit into your price range.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5097
"Another combo that may fit in your price range is a Rega Brio 3 and R1 speakers."

That is exactly what I was going to say even before I read yours Stu. Then you can sell the Bellari and ProJect and buy a Rega P2 to go with the Brio integrated which has a very good phono stage.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8017
Adam, an excellent first post, and welcome to the forum.
Without your input, I could not suggest a better option than has been named. Your thoughts?

Username: Amerlop

Post Number: 2
I was looking in the Rega brio/r1 combo. I'm kinda kicking myslef for not buying an R1, knowing what I know now, but I can't knock the Pro-ject! It gave me so much improvement! Anyway, I am leaning towards the rega. There is a local shop that carries both paradigm and rotel. I tried the a paradigm bookshelf that was somewhere in the range of 600-800 with a rotel and I though it was pretty decent. However, compared to a B&W right next to it, I found the paradigm to be a bit laid back and, i dunno, "veiled" (?).

But I think i'll be checkin out the rega for no other reason than the attitude of that company. They seem like a no-bullshit you-get-what-we-give-you-and-if-you-dont-like-it-bugger-off type of company. Ha, but anyways...

where can you buy a R1 online? And what kind of stand should I get?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5099
If you don't have a dealer near you I recommend Eugene HiFi. Several folks here on the forum have taken my recommendation for Dale and Chris Shepherd and Eugene HiFi and been absolutely satisfied.

http://eugenehifi.com/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us