Floorstanding Speakers to go with NAD C720BEE

Username: Baronio

Post Number: 1
I am new to this foruma and was hoping the resident audiophiles on this forum might be able to give me some advice on which floorstanding speakers to purchase to go with the NAD C720BEE stereo receiver (inidentally chosen over the Onkyo TX-8522 and HK3480).

I listen a range of music from alternative & punk to drum n bass. The set up is going to be in a lounge of approx. 20ft x 15ft.

I've been looking at a pair of Mercury M4's which I've seen around for £60 ($120). This looks like a bargain to me, but I'm slightly concerned they are old stock - would this make much of a difference compared to, say, Mercury F4's?

Are there any other floorstanding speakers anyone can recommend?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Baronio

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1153
I'm unfamiliar with Mercury (I don't think they're widely available in the States).

Consider the Infinity Primus or Athena Audition series at that price point.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 776
Mercury= A Tannoy line AFAIK. I wouldn't worry a heck of a lot about old stock versus new stock though. Generally speaking, the year to year changes aren't anything worth writing home about.

Tannoy is as good as anybody out there, but you can never go too far wrong listening to a wide variety of speakers. Consider Paradigm's new Monitor series, Wharfedale's Diamond 9 series, Revel F12, KEF, and Dali among others.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1154
oooooh.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1963
Jamie,

The speakers listed are pretty good, but I'd like to add PSB to the list of speakers to audition. I ran PSB Image T55s with my 320BEE (which is virtually the same as the 720BEE). NAD and PSB have a very good synergy together. For a bigger room, as crazy as it sounds, I'd try the T45 first. Even though its smaller, its a tad easier to run (maybe not on paper, but in the real world).

For your receiver, you should look into speakers with a relatively high efficiency rating. This will help stretch get the most sound from your power.

Alternatively, you may want to consider large bookshelf speakers and a powered subwoofer. PSB Image B25 and a good sub may in fact sound better.

But, a 15ft x 20ft room doesn't seem too big for you amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 60
My choice would be PSB, Paradigm Monitor Series or an Entry level Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1155
The guy did ask for a floorstander, didn't he?

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 61
Crap, sorry should have read his first post a bit better. Forget the Monitor Audio bookies then.

Username: Baronio

Post Number: 2
Thanks very much for everyone's advice.

I looked round for a retailer for PSB but I could't find any in the UK. Don't suppose anyone could direct me to one?

In the absence of a PSB retailer, I've narrowed it down to KEF Cresta 3, KEF Cresta 30, Mission M33i, Tannoy F3 and Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 to audition.

Any views on these choices?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1971
Sorry, I can't help you out with UK dealers. Howerev, NAD makes a bookshelf speaker which is sold in the UK. From my understanding, its a re-badged PSB speaker. NAD and PSB are both owned by the same parent company.

I know you're looking for floorstanders, but it shouldn't hurt to check out the NAD speaker and a subwoofer if you can find a local dealer.

I'm not familiar enough with the speakers you just mentioned to give a good opinion.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1972
United Kingdom: Sales & Marketing

Armour Home Electronics LTD.
Units 7 & 8, Stortford Hall Industrial Park
For a UK PSB dealer list, contact the following -
Dunmow Road, Bishops Stortford, Herts
CM23 5GZ UK
tel: 44 1279 501080
email: rob.hunt@armourhe.co.uk