LP Playback Help

Username: Mdogg777

Post Number: 8
Hi, I am new to using turntables to play LP's. I recently found an old Technics SL-BD20 turntable in my basement. I wanted to try hooking it up to my home theater sound system, but I have run into some problems. I have a Sony STR-DE597 receiver that is configured to a 5.1 surround setup. My receiver does not have a phono input so I bought a pre-amplifier to do that job. Specifically the GE Pre-Amplifier AV23292. My turntable is inputted into the Pre-amp via RCA audio cables, and the pre-amp is outputted into my receiver. Specifically, the MD/Tape input. My problem is that when I connect these two devices through the pre-amp, a loud buzz is produced. The buzz clearly overpowers the LP Playback. If anyone knows what I might be doing wrong, and can find a possible solution to this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10803

You need to ground the table to the pre amp. If you've not done that, that alone should solve the problem. If the table is grounded, you probably need to ground the pre amp to the receiver.

Post Number: 9
Thanks. Would you be able to tell me how I would go about doing that? I'm new to this.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10806

There should be a ground lug on the turntable and one on the pre amp. Attach a wire between the two lugs.

Post Number: 10
Thanks a lot, that did the trick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us