What to fill stands with, play sand, silica sand?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 526
I think I'm going to purchase some Atacama Nexus 7 stands and there's no way im paying for 'Atabites'. Far too expensive. So what kind of sand is suitable to fill the stands with?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 772
Kitty litter. Seriously. Mix it with lead shot. You could also hit up the beach if you're feeling cheap.

Bronze Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 37
Just bought some B&W stands and the dealor says fill with plain sand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 528
My concern with lead shot is that usually it says 'legal' lead shot. I dont wanna be getting cancer or something lol. I just want a suitable solution with minimum cost.

I think I will go with sand, Im just wondering which kind of sand?

Kev, did the dealer specify which kind of sand?

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 43
He suggested clean dry sand from the concrete supply. Home Depot?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2255
JJ

There's nothing wrong with lead shot unless you eat it or get shot with it. It's entirely inert when sitting there in your stand. Play sand also works well.

When filling stands, do not fill straight to the top. Start by filling to a third of height and listen, then fill some more and note the changes in bass response. You'll have to find how much filling is required, and of course, how much you want will change with what type of material you're using...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
Dry/play sand it is then! Easy to get hold of. Little place called B&Q(big place infact) sells it.

Frank, how full do you have yours, is there a general rule of more sand=more bass for example?
Or something like that. I know i'll be eager to fill them and be done so I can enjoy.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2259
JJ, mine are full, but that's because they are prefilled and set specifically for the mani-2s. YMMV I'm afraid, which is why I said you should start with 1/3rd full and work up in increments. This'll just take an hour or two at the most.

Too full and the sound deadens, bass flattens.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 47
Thanks Frank. My dealer apparently is not aware of that. He just said to fill em.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us