Harmon Kardon AVR-325 vs. Onkyo TSX-SR601

Anonymous
I'm looking to upgrade my current receiver. I'm looking at possibly these 2 receivers. They were listed at Ecoustics(best price)$399.00 for the HK AVR-325 and $429.00 for the Onkyo TSX-SR601. Which one is the better of the 2 or any suggestions on other makes/models to look at in this price range? Keep in mind my movies to music in listening is about 60/40 and I am not looking to go to 7 channels. Any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous
IMHO I suggest you go for the HK, you can't go wrong with the HK.

Hawk
I also endorse the H/K. I heard it head to head with an Onkyo TX-SR700 (using the same input and speakers) and the H/K was a hands down winner in terms of the quality of sound, detail, and depth of soundstage. The Onkyo is a good receiver, but the H/K is a class better.

BTW, what speakers are you running?

Anonymous
I am running Angstrom Alpha 80's for the fronts, an Angstrom Trinity C3.3 Center channel, Acoustice Research M4's for the rears, and a Jamo SW410E subwoofer. I did some shopping around at some local dealers and they all said the Onkyo over the H/K mainly because of a better power supply.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Where did you see HK AVR-325 foe $399

Thanks

Anonymous
Hawk, In another post I read, you mention Onkyo's to be better suited for HT and Harmon Kardons for msuic. I see you endorsing HK for HT here. I am confused :-)

Hawk
I think the H/K has a more full bodied sound that is much more pleasing and realistic to listen to. I am appalled by the apaprent lack of knowledge of the salepeople recommending an Onkyo over a H/K "because of a better power supply." Sounds like the latest line at Circuit City. The H/K has a much better power supply with more dynamic headroom than the Onkyo. The H/K has a much more pleasing amp section, without question.

Where the Onkyo is strong is in their video connections for HT applications. If someone wants their receiver to control their video, then the Onkyo is the way to go. That does not mean that there isn't a trade-off, because there is. The sound is not quite as good (thinner, and not as full bodied), but the listener's choice of speakers also impacts this question as some speakers and receivers work well together and some do not. So I am sorry for any confusion, but there are a number of different factors to be considered and I try to balance all of them when making a recommendation. Sometimes, I just don't explain myself very well. :-)

Anonymous
Thanks Hawk. I had almost chosen the Onkyo SR601, when I saw the HK 325Z (refurbished) ( Does the Z indicate refurbished).
Reading the posts here I looked at the NAD T742. Since I am on a budget I dont want to spend too much now but at the same time I dont want to end up buying another receiver in a year or two, when hopefully I would be in a better position financially :-)

elitefan
I agree with Hawk that the H/k has a more pleasing sound than the Onkyo and more reserve power but Onkyo also uses large power supplies and power should not be a factor in a choice between the two. I have owned two Onkyo's in the past and liked them very much and would not hesitate to buy one again in the future. This is where matching a receiver to speakers becomes the real deciding factor. Both brands are very good for the money.

Hawk
Anonymous:

Yes, the "Z" designation means refurbished. As I have posted before, I think refurbs are a good way to go.

However, before you buy, you should listen to an NAD T742. It is better than either the H/K or the Onkyo, IMHO, and it can be had for about the same amount of money. Now. "better" can mean different things to different people, so let me explain by what I mean by better. I heard the 742 in a double blind test against several other receivers, which turned out to be an Onkyo 700, a H/K 325, and a Denon 2802. The NAD was easily the most impressive, sound-wise, resolving the sound to where I could hear things clearly on the NAD that was either muddled or totally non-existant on the others. In order of preference, I liked the NAD best, followed by the H/K, then the Onkyo, and finally the Denon. The 742 was clean and powerful, more powerful than the supposed 100 wpc Onkyo or 90 wpc Denon. It is only five channels, which is a drawback for some people (not for me). I would rather have five really good channels than 6 or 7 mediocre channels. I think it is worth a listen before you buy. It will not have goodies like component video connections and 20+ venue selections ("Cathedral", "Jazz Club", etc.), just good clean sound that you can listen to all day if you wanted. I thought it sounded more like quality separates rather than a receiver. The H/K was fuller than the remaining two, but its sound was a little darker and more laid back than any other receiver. The Onkyo was clean and a bit more forward than the H/K, but did not have the "ooph" of the first two. The Denon sounded thin and lifeless, by comparison (and I am a Denon owner!).

Now, you may prefer the sound of the H/K or the Onkyo, or you may just want a particular feature available on one of them. That's cool. But I think you should give the NAD a listen to see what you think. Their owners tend to be very loyal and they keep their stuff a long time.

You can find the T742 at Saturday Audio (www.saturdayaudio.com) for $449. They have been running a special on the 742 since mid-July and it is still on their "Deals Page". Check it out.

Anonymous
Thanks Hawk.
I am Jersey. Will check out Nadelectronics.com to see if they have a local dealer who would allow me to audition. I really appreciate your inputs.

GT
As good as the NAD may sound, I'd think I'd go for the HK 325 beause of the 7.1 processing, Logic 7, DTS-ES, DD-EX, component video switching, number of digital inputs and outputs and the bass management features. It just more future proof than the 742 at a little lower cost. If Hawk were talking about the 752 it'd be a whole different story.

Note: I am not "Hawk"

I recently reviewed the Onkyo TX-SR601 (should be posted at Audioholics.com next week) and found it to be a decent amplifier. I like to compare features as well as sound, however, and here are some things to note about the HK:

- HK delivers 50wpc ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN
- HK has 7 channels
- LOGIC7
- EzSet level set feature
- preamp outputs

To me these two receivers are apples and oranges... as is represented by their differing MSRPs.

Clint DeBoer
Audioholics.com

Anonymous
Hawke, I agree looking at the MSRP they are probably Apples and Oranges. However, a new Onkyo SR601 goes for $399 (www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com, J&R etc) and a refurbished HK AVR325Z is available for $386 + $29 shipping at Onecall. .
Logic 7, EZset are HK proprietary features and cannot be compared.
You obviously get a lot more feature-wise with the HK but you are getting a refurb. Obviously the sound matters

I think the comparision is more realistic for anyone looking at receiver with a fixed budget.

Thanks

Anonymous
Any salesman I talk to (CC, Crutchfield etc) recommends the Onkyo for HT over the Harmon Kardons. I have found this recommendation to be universal among the sales folk. Is that a reflection of what people prefer?

Anonymous
Any salesman I talk to (CC, Crutchfield etc) recommends the Onkyo for HT over the Harmon Kardons. I have found this recommendation to be universal among the sales folk. Is that a reflection of what people prefer?

Anonymous
sorry for the repeat post. Blame it on IE.

Hawk
Anon:

Not neccesarily. Are Fords better than Chevys? It probably reflects the fact that Onkyo is "dealing" more with the retailers, giving them special prices and incentives rather than anyting else, thus, Onkyo is the receiver brand to push for the salepeople at these large audio supermarkets.

You either buy on sound quality or you buy on features. There are tradeoffs in every unit and you have to find what fits your needs and the speakers you are driving. You simply can't make a blanket statement like that.

Anonymous
Glad I found this discussion. I have been trying to compare HK and Onkyo my self. I am using a Bose accoustimas 15 speaker system. How does that influnece opinions either way?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us