Yamaha Receiver Speaker Pairing

Username: Lrey

Post Number: 2
What is a good set of speakers to pair with a Yamaha RX-V861. I am looking at floorstanding as I feel that I lose in Bass with Bookshelf.
I do 60 Movies and 40 Music.
I have a budget of about 800 for speakers.

Would like to get floorstanding fronts and bookshelf rear surrounds with a nice sub and center channel.

Recommendations Please

Post Number: 9
I guess no one wants to help the novice...

Bronze Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 19
Luis, it's difficult to give useful advice on this topic. What you will get are opinions based on the authors' listening acuity, preferences and biases. The best advice is to audition as many speakers as you can and choose the ones that sound "right" to you. Speakers have different sonic characteristics and one can provide guidance as to how to listen and what to listen for. But ultimately, your choice will be based on what you like. For music, my standard is how close the equipment comes to reproducing the actual sound and tenor of the instruments/voice. I do have a music background which helps in this regard. But you can not hear what I hear and vice versa. Don't let the ears and mouths of others you don't even know (and can not legitimately trust) tell you what speakers to buy.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7914
Luis, a floorstander does not necessarily out-bass a standmount speaker. In fact some very good bass is to be had from, say, a Psb B25 standmount. Quite often a full stander is a bookshelf speaker with a built in base.
Of course, the stand is extra, and can glorify the speakers potential or deem it rather ordinary.
The quality of the cabinet is paramount to the sound of the speaker. A 'loose' cab means resonance. Some makers of speakers count on this resonance to develop 'specs' of bass reproduction, and the numbers are what they are.
Then at home, the bass sounds like mud at certain frequencies(usually the lowest quoted).
Standmounts tend to be a little more honest sounding, if done well, unfortunately, the better ones are more $, plus the appropriate stand.
Some good floorstanders are available, the better ones I have heard(including some of mine) benefit from a good sub, good enough to keep up sonically and musically, without sounding like mud themselves(I still need one of those).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Dennis and Nuck for both your comments.

Dennis with the amount of speakers out there it would be nice to get some guidance on some speakers to listen to not necessarily choose but just have some honest opinions. I am just looking for guidance to weed out the bad ones and maybe not waste all this time with all these speakers out there. I like latin music with nice piano and percussion.

Nuck thanks for your comments I guess subs are also important. so in your own opinion do you like floorstanding over Bookshelf?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us