Anyone close their speaker baffle/port ?

Username: Akkuzio

Post Number: 1
Can any1 outhere suggest something to seal or stuff the rear port of my speaker ? I lost the foam plugs that were supplied for my speaker.

I know some people have used socks,cloth or something similar to seal the speakers. Any suggestions ?

My speakers are quite close to the back wall and I would like to reduce the boom or reflection by sealing the baffle. Wonder if i would damage the speaker if i do.. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10761

You won't damage the speaker by closing the port. It's not an ideal solution particularly when the problem is placement. Go to a fabric store and buy some thick, closed cell foam. Cut to size. Make certain there are no air leaks.

By closing the port you will sacrifice three dB of efficiency in the speaker and you will, if you effectively block the port, raise the tuning frequency of the enclosure giving up bass extension.

Username: Akkuzio

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan. Will do.
I'd rather give up a slight bass extension rather than color the sound with cloudy bass since I am restricted by speaker placement issues.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 511
"By closing the port you will sacrifice three dB of efficiency in the speaker and you will, if you effectively block the port, raise the tuning frequency of the enclosure giving up bass extension."

That's exactly why I unbunged my ports and moved the speakers away from the walls. Funny thing I noticed was that when I pulled the cloth I used to bung up the ports the bass driver moved inwards!!! This frightened me a little into thinking damage may have been done..

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10787

You frighten easily.

Silver Member

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 515
Well..cones are meant to go outwards, not inwards.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10788

They go both ways.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1956
Bungs. Going both ways. Whats next?

Silver Member