Rate/Help system

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 78
I am trying to build a 2 channel music only system. A system that won't break the bank but hopefully give me some amazing sound.

Planning on:
Polk Audio Lsi9-Used
Parasound Halo 3 Pre amp-Used
Adcom GFA-555 amp- used

I currently have a Harman/Kardon HK3480 stereo receiver that I was going to use as a pre amp but I am not sure if I should. If anyone can recommend me any really good pre amps or amps or other speakers anything else let me know. I wanna make this my final purchase for a while and stop buying stuff!

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 79
I was also consdering trying the Nad c162/c272 combo or maybe a Nadc162 pre amp and a adcom gfa-555. So many choices ahhhh helllp!

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 80
I have a budget and realized that I am better of getting a quality cd player as my source and just a adcom gfa-555 amp and my current hk3480 as a preamp. This good?

LOL I need gooood sound! yes!!!!!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10756

"Planning on:
Polk Audio Lsi9-Used
Parasound Halo 3 Pre amp-Used
Adcom GFA-555 amp- used"

Do the word "warm" mean anything to ya, Kingfish? You could use some with those components. Just don't try to buy a warm sounding CD player to make things balance. It won't work that way. The NAD is not warm' it is rolled off.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 170
Jan, what do you mean by "rolled off"?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10760

It's personal preference. But I find the NAD sound to roll off the leading edges and decays of sounds. They don't get it right and it doesn't sound musical, it sounds like a hifi. I've just never bought into the NAD sound and never found NAD and Polk to be an interesting combination. If Tommy has heard the combination and finds it acceptable, within his budget and cannot find anything better than NAD and Polk, then he should buy that system as neither will produce bad sound. They just won't, IMO, make very exciting or long term listenable sound. The Parasound and Adcom are far better components in their own right (I'd buy a system of either but not necessarily both together), but will outclass the Polks and make for what I would consider a fatiguing system that still lacks musical values. Wrong timbre, wrong tone. OK hifi.

How'd you pick that stuff, Tommy?

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 81
Just by reading reviews and searching online. I cannot hear this stuff as there is not stores around that carry brands like this.

So you mean the polks are not good enough for the equipment?

I was actually thinking of just doing this...

NAD C542 Cd player
Harman Kardon HK3480 as a preamp
Adcom gfa-555 amp
polk lsi9's

I figured I would just scrap a high quality pre amp and use the hk however I do not know if that is a mistake.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7799
Tommy, it is never a mistake to NOT spend money.
If you try a bit at a time, you will have comparisons.
Of course a bit at a time is a very difficult way to end up with a natural sound.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10764

I seriously doubt you will hear large improvements by substituting the Adcom power amplifier for the HK's power amp section. Not with the Polks. And certainly not with CD as the source running through a receiver's pre amp section. Why spend money for a receiver and then throw away more than half of it? What made you think this was a good idea?

Tommy, buying several pieces of gear that have received good reviews without hearing any of the pieces put together is not likely to make a good system. Systems are a group of components that work together to produce the sound you like and, hopefully, a sound that reminds you of live music.

If you are trying to save monmey by buying used gear, I'm afraid you will very likely find the components disappointing as a system and in need of replacement in a short while with no more idea of how to go about picking the right product. You will ultimately spend less money in the long run if you find a shop where you can get some assistance picking between various components. You must hear this stuff with your own music choices before you can put togther more than just a collection of individually decent components that don't work well together.

If you just must buy used, read the reviews of the various components and find the reviewer who sounds like they prefer similar qualities to what you like. Look at what other pieces were used to review the component under inspection and duplicate that system. You will at least have some guidance as to how components fit together rather than piecemealing it out.

Buy smart rather than often.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7800
I bought often.
I finally bought smart, but not something that everyone would like, or have listened to.It suits me, though.
My stepson is very happy about that, it makes great hand me downs and net sales. But nothing more.(for me).

Tommy, go to the dealer (make it a trip)and see what's there.
A well matched system of reasonable capability will always outshine a piecemeil kit.
Yes, it may cost more now, but less down the(what can be a very short) road.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 173
What Nuck said...

Take it from a (somewhat) reformed impulse purchaser.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 82
Jan what do you mean? I though power amps are suppose to be 10x better than using receivers. And I thought a good cd player will make it that much better. Lsi9's take lots of power for 4ohm speakers I hear.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 717
Which receivers, Tommy?

If you are referring to the mass market garbage, than amp-preamp combos are going to usually get you better sound.

If you go with a receiver built by B&K, Adcom, or the like... than you are going to end up with sound quality that will be VERY close to that of which an amp-preamp combo can give you.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10768

Let's start back at the beginning.

What do you want to hear, Tommy? What sort of sound appeals to you?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 183
Hey.

Original Poster- Used equipment can be just fine. The folks that sell stuff on audiogon.com are often frequent buyers who take care of their equipment like valuable fragile antiques, but like to make frequent changes as they search for that perfect sound in a near addictive and often bank account depleting fashion.

I buy new and used depending on circumstance and have never had anything "break" burn out or malfunction. Ever.

My only comment is that it is important to take your CDs around to places and listen to speakers a bunch-- as many as you can on the same CD material you are familiar with. Then you start to get it with regards to how different speakers can be.

Good luck

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 83
Ok I am trying to create a 2 channel stereo system solely for music. I want to create as much as a live experience and realism as possible with my budget. I do not want bright and harsh highs as my ears are sensitive. Just want it smooth and natural. Mid bass and bass I just want to sound nice and punchy. I had done some researching and found polk lsi9's as being very popular for my taste and my budget. I had the hk3480 for a while and this was just for a low cost system( easy 2 drive speakers(polk rti8's and a receiver i.e the hk3480). I have a sub by the way as well.

So I am stuck in really what to do because I wanna upgrade to something better and make it a signifigant change. Not sure on what to do with amps and pre amps and all those kinds of combos.

How would some outlaw m2200 blocks do for lsi9's?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 186
I have no experience with the lsi9s, so I don't their characteristics. The 2200s are pretty "up front" in your face amps. I wouldn't say bright, per say, but they are certainly not subdued. If your ears are sensitive you may not like this. I really have a lot of trouble listening to overly bright gear myself, and I find my Outlaw/Paradigm combo very pleasing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us