Tekton Design Uruz...Anybody?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1122
http://www.tektondesign.com/uruz.htm

I've been following Tekton Design eBay auctions for a few years now. Initially, their products were selling in the $200-300 range, now they've added some nice-looking veneers & have jacked-up the prices accordingly. Also, they've added some interesting looking, higher-end models, like the Uruz.

Has anyone seen or heard any of their products?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7755
Tekton Uruz...tennis player, right?

Have you read any reviews(sic) on them, CM?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1123
Just a couple of stray threads like these

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/5/909986/ShowThread.aspx

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=36988.0

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10749

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

Good start!

I'm not certain which model you're looking at here, CM. If you're thinking a single full range driver, then you are likely off to a good start assuming your needs match the capacities of the driver. The Fostex drivers are favorites among SDFR designers, both commercial and DIY. For any specific driver there are plenty of internet sites which discuss the potential and pitfalls of each design. However, in a $200-300 speaker the good and bad of all Fostex based designs will be similar.

The high points of any SDFR will be the coherence of the available frequency response. There is a rightness about SDFR's that is difficult to find in moderately priced multiple driver designs. Vocals are the standout piece of any SDFR, sounding more natural, real and emotive than virtually any competitively priced two way can match. Most SDFR's also throw a very convincing and dramatic soundstage with extreme stability throughout most of the instrumental range. However, and there's always a however, any SDFR will be hard pressed to play complex music at the volume levels a simple, well designed two way can achieve.

Consider your listening habits before committing to a SDFR. If you tend to favor acoustic music with very litle complexity, the dynamics of the Fostex driver will astound you. If you prefer rock and the volume levels that accompany it, you might be disappointed by the Fostex.

One consistent "problem" with the majority of the Fostex designs is a rising response in the upper presence range which tends to give a forward, sometimes pinched or nasal quality to the overall sound. A simple notch filter is typically employed to smooth this area. If the speakers you are considering don't include this filter, you might want to look a bit further before you commit. Of course, SDFR's major fault for many listeners is the inability to adequately cover the full frequency range without resorting to another driver either at the top or bottom, or both, of the range. This really is a personal choice and if your listening doesn't include booming bass and Mahlerian bombast, you might easily be satisfied with the performance of the Fostex designs on the low end. On the high end the whizzer cone common to most lower priced Fostex drivers will require careful toe in and the frequencies above 13-15kHz will simply not be there. This typically isn't a problem as you trade verisimilitude (a word far under used on the forum) for extension.

Consider the many Fostex based designs available on the web and particularly the DIY designs. The price range you're in will consist of a driver and a very simple reflex enclosure. Beyond that, the notch filter or baffles step compensation filter is simple to create. The enclosure construction is something any cabinet shop can put together, even just cutting the pieces and allowing you to put together the final product. Or you can DIY the entire project with simple tools and skills. Cabinets have been created with not much more than a jigsaw, a drill and some patience.

There are dozens of Fostex based designs available and the differences between one and the other utilizing the same single driver will be minimal and mostly up to to the skills of the person constructing the box.

Also consider other SDFR's such as the CSS driver Tim used in the Ling. Though lower efficiency than the Fostex drivers, it is generally considered a much better driver for linearity requiring no notch filter to smooth the response of the driver itself. Look also at the alternative drivers which can be used in a SDFR, of which there are many.

http://fullrangedriver.com/

http://melhuish.org/audio/index.html

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?fr=ybr_sbc&p=full%20range%20driver%20website

And, if it stops raining long enough to pull out my table saw, this is the one I'll be putting together this weekend; http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10750

Also, don't forget the small MMG Magneplanars. They offer many of the qualities of the more conventional dynamic driver based SDFR's with a few tweaks of their own. There is little to veneer since there is no box.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1124
Thanks Jan,

I've been down this road before.

I've considered bulding a pair of Ling Singles, I even owned a pair of CSS FR125S, but sold them off after they sat around too long.

I'm a little tight on space, so a DIY project just isn't right at this time (then again, with a pair of pre-built cabinets from Parts Express http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=208 all I need is a router & jig).

Those Zigma Hornets are sweet looking, what do you make of these PAWO boxes Jan? http://www.planet10-hifi.com/tom-zHorn.html

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1125
These are the box plans for the Ling'ish Single

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/FR125S-7L-vented-box.gif

Gold Member

Post Number: 7761
Chris, I am sitting in front of the Lings. What do you want to know?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1126
Your address, what time you leave for work, and where you keep the spare key.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7762
Your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7763
Chris, you really connot do better than this.
EC Unplugged on the tubes, nearfield with the Lings @ .8 meters.
Y'all gotta try this.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1127
I bet, that's a great recording, in fact all of the MTV Unplugged recordings that I've heard are outstanding, Nirvana & Alice In Chains in particular.

I am considering a new mate for the Trends T-Amp. The Mission M70 are very nice, but I'd really like to hear it paired with some SDFR speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 488
CM - Just buy Jan's speakers whenever it stops raining in Dallas.

Jan - It is so much easier and trendy to say "keeping it real" versus whatever you said. LOL

BTW a couple more posts like that and you will be running really low on family secrets.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7774
Chris, I will PM you with Tim's addy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7775
If I hadn't lost it.
I am so cool.
Sorry, man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7776
The PAWO cabs look nice to finish, but I prefer the depth of a cab over finish, just cause you asked.
The panel look seems like RS 15" in a 10" deep panel. Cant think of the name.

It looks pretty flat, and Jan's 2c for the mmg's should be taken with a grain of salt. The MMG's are the cheapest, yes, but the weakest by a predators' reach.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1143
oops! I won a pair of Tekton Design 4.5 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT &viewitem=%26item%3D250142039462%26%26

I threw in a low-ball bid and BINGO!

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1144
Sorry for the dead link.

Like these http://www.tektondesign.com/model45.htm for $187, they regularly go for around $300 , so I got a real good deal.

I'll get back to you when I get a chance to mate them with the Trends amp.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 773
Thats the good thing about bidding on less than popular brands of speakers. Usually, nobody else knows to look for em.

If it were me though, I'd be highly suspect of the crossover circuitry. I just don't know how they could fit it in there for such a low price

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 334
Jan, did you build the zigmahornets?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1145
Stephen,

No Crossover, it's a single full-range Fostex FE127E. That's the beauty (I hope) of the whole thing.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 775
I know, hence the smiley.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7952
The single driver Ling's are quite happy playing some old Sinatra and some Benny Goodman today.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10805

Built the hornets. They're pretty good.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 529
Compared to your existing speakers, 3/5a's I think?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10807

Yep, they're pretty good, even compared to the Rogers.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1149
Jan, it's been a while since you've done a full-blown review, I'd love to read your take on the Zigmahornets when you get the time.

P.S. Throw in some pics if you can.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10814

"pretty good" isn't enough?

This speaker isn't an available item for the most part. Dave Merrill sent an email saying his health is suffering and there may be few, if any, more shipments of drivers until his personal matters are ironed out. We'll see about a review, it will be a while. For one thing I want to re-do the enclosure in something other than 1/2" birch ply to see what difference the materials might make. I'll probably opt for 1/2" MDF to make the cabinet better looking as far as fit and finish go. But, it is the driver that is the story of these speakers. It's really pretty good.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 339
I'd like to know what they sound like with a solid enclosure made of a dense wood like Wenge or a Purpleheart.
I know they'd look great.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1150
Jan, does Dave Merrill manufacture or import that DCA4 driver, because I can seem to find any info on it?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1151
Did you consider using the CSS FR125S?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1152
Never mind, I just read that the CSS FR125S & Zigmahornet are not a good match, something to do with the size of the driver congesting the enclosure.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10817

From what I've read, Merrill has this driver built in Japan to his specs. This particular design is a Merrill exclusive. The closest alternative driver would appear to be a Fostex 3" that is also all but unavailable, the Fostex still requiring a network to tame its forward nature in the mids. The enclosure is strictly a quarter wave pipe so you could expand the dimension apppropriately to suit a 4" or build with the TangBang 3". But, with such a simple enclosure, the majority of the "pretty good" still comes from this particular driver, I'm sure.

With the 1/2" birch ply the enclosure is very lively. Too much for my taste. The plans for the Hornet call for only a piece of carpet felt behind the driver and no stuffing. That made the pipe far too evident in the sound so I made a more classic transmission line of the whole affair by stuffing the pipe about 3/4 full with PolyFill - denser at the top of the pipe and loosing up as it went the length of the pipe with no stuffing close to the port end. I left the front baffle as a screw on affair so I had access to do this experimentation and that really is the only problem with the look of the enclosure, 1/2" ply doesn't screw (and unscrew and screw and unscrew, etc.) together that well that I would re-do the cabinet anyway with more permanent seals. As is, the pipe exterior is still a bit lively for my taste but the sound is pretty good. They've replaced the Rogers as the speaker to listen to. The 3/5a's are in the closet for the first time in almost two decades.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1156
"The 3/5a's are in the closet for the first time in almost two decades."

Well, that pretty much sums it up. I'm glad you're enjoying them. It really is a beautifully simple design, and the price is certainly right.

This can't be your first DIY project, can it?

Do you own either the Ling or the Emma, or were they simply on loan from Tim for evaluation?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10819

Just on loan. I very much liked the Ling but they couldn't move the Rogers to the closet.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10820

I've done DIY before. This is the first full speaker I've assembled in quite awhile, though one driver hardly qualifies as difficult. The sub is DIY with the 7" low frequency driver from Emma. I have a second such driver and when time allows they'll get put into separate quarter wave enclosures. I found a 300 watt BASH plate amp with a fourth order crossover that can be set as low as 40Hz so that's what fills in the last two octaves for the Hornets. I tried a HSU sub with a 12" driver and a similar plate amp that allowed crossing as low at 30Hz but the trade offs didn't make the cost of the HSU worth it IMO.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1157
Looks like Adire Audio, which I think held the patent for the XBL^2 motor, is no more http://www.adireaudio.com/

I'm not sure what this means for the Extremis 6.8 or other speakers, like the CSS FR125S, or the upcoming models from AV123 that are based around that motor, but I'm sorry to see them go.

Maybe Tim saw the handwriting on the wall?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1158
This explains it a bit:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e485cb050c948bdeb1689f196d208e51 &postid=1247865#post1247865

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10821

Too bad to see another good company die. The first "high end" product I owned was a Dayton-Wright pre amp and they had a similar ending that went through numerous court settlements and lawsuits and partners and non-partners managing to make off with the cash while the original owners just wanted to make good product. http://www.dayton-wright.com/DaytonWright.html Sadly, too many small high end companies end in similar fashion with everyone CYA'ing their ownbutts. You want to see small, decent companies survive but I have reached the point where I don't want to see another such company suggest they might be back. If they come back, they're never the same company.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1159
It would seem that the XBL^2 motor design will live on via licensing. HSU is using it on some subs, as is the aforementioned AV123. Hemp Acoustics is also using it extensively throughout their product line http://estore.websitepros.com/1736754/Categories.bok?category=HEMP+ACOUSTICS .

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1163
I should be getting these Tektons sometime today.

Jan, have you got around to jazzing up those Zigmahornets? Any pics?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10887

No, nothing yet, no pics. They are what they are. You can go to the linked review I posted above and that's a Zigmahornet. The only difference with my initial construction is I made the top of the pipe flat and inserted the 45° angled top piece internally to simplify construction of the test cabinets.

I'm continually more and more impressed with the Hornets as they sit. They do mate quite well to the sub with a seamless integration that is quite nice as a synergistic system. Bass notes float into the room when needed and have the required wallop when such is the intent.

I've ocassionally been aware of voices seeming to stick to the Hornets front baffle only to listen further into the performance to find the voices can move free from the enclosure and the vocal's "stickiness" is the result of a performer swallowing the mic. The Hornets do a better job of defining the performers' position in space, and vice versa, relative to the mics than the 30 year old Rogers could finally manage. This is, IMO, quite a coup since defining spatial relationships is a raison d'etre for the 3/5a's existence and along with their convincing midrange tone a basic reason they are still a viable design all these many years later. I suppose this improvement with the Hornets is to be expected, however, since the single driver is more coherent through the crucial mids than the excellent two way could manage.

Timbre and tone are above reproach through the Hornets. Dwight Yokum's "Beunos Noches from a Lonely Room" bounced, jumped, leapt and smacked you upside the head with a momentum that left me so damnpleased with my $40 investment in drivers as the last final note faded slowly from the room. While not the disc I would choose to display soundstage depth, through the Hornets (and Mac, AI and VPI/Rega/Grado combination) the music is infectious in its exuberance and evocative power even as Yokum sings "I Sang Dixie (as He Died)". Nuance never sounded better unless it is heard live. The realistic and factual soundstaging abilities of the Hornets are the equal of or slightly better than the Rogers as the walls of my room simply don't exist while listening to all but the poorest of recordings. Cymbals and high strings have a realism that I hear only in single driver designs (though typically at a much higher price - think Quad panels) and which belie the idea of multiple driver's superiority.

The only minor reservation I have at the moment regarding the Hornet's performance is their slightest reticence to allowing the highest percussion notes to literally explode into the surrounding air as I hear it occur in real instruments and real space. But, then, I don't hear this quality as truly convincing in any speaker at any price so far and to improve on the Hornet's performance in this area would, I think, require sums of money I can't imagine.

For the present, I'm finding it difficult to think how my system can take anything more than baby steps forward accomplished with granddaddy funds in return toward real improvements which would be important to my satisfaction. I'm quite satisfied. Finalizing the room set up will be the next step and most of those components are in house and ready for installation when time permits. Moving in a nice comfy chair will be a high priority to allow even longer listening sessions (which is not a good idea as other projects will go wanting I'm afraid). The Hornets are a joy to listen through and yet not so different from the Rogers that I had to make a large adjusment in priorities. The ultimate alteration was no more than moving forward two rows at the concert.

But, the Rogers are back out of the closet. They are visiting Mike Wodek's and playing with my Mac integrated amp also on loan. I listened to them yesterday and only by direct comparison are they in any way the lesser speaker to the Hornets as far as I'm concerned. However, the Rogers, with their slight midbass bump, are far more subwoofer unfriendly than the Hornets. There was always the subtle but noticeable at times impression of speakers over here with a sub playing down below when I combined the Rogers with any subwoofer. For the most part, I didn't even bother with a sub since my room has a bit of a boost at 80Hz and this played to the 3/5a's strengths given the impression of quite deep bass as the speaker was rolling off at 45-55Hz.

The Hornets, by way of comparison, have smoothed the transition to the sub (4th order low pass only filter at 40Hz, the Hornets run full range from the Macs) and made the whole sound better integrated in the room. I listened to several selections last night and was again impressed by the Hornets ability to separate instrumental and vocal lines without smear and with utter stability to my ears of tone and space. Yes, that's what single drivers are supposed to do well but this little three incher is quite amazing. Peter, Paul and Mary's "Ten Years Together" displays the ability of the Hornets to unravel the individual voices and instruments in real three dimensional space. The tight harmonies of this trio are sometimes difficult to hear as distinct notes on lesser systems when voices and instruments double one another. But the Hornets do a wonderful job on this rather simple recording. The gestalt of '60's folk/pop music was on display in my room last night. Dr. John's New Orleans frolicks were no less entertaining and amusing. Long dead stars of yesteryear were virtually pulled from their graves last night and brought into my house. A good time was had by all, drinks were handed out and we all had a laugh and a cry even though they eventually had to return to their papery sleeves while I climbed between the sheets.

As I listen more through the Hornets in their present iteration, I think the best thing might be to recreate the birch ply cabinet with better construction. Experimentation, I think, is done on what I want to get from the enclosure/driver. Time to put together a cabinet that is glued rather than screwed together for the sake of experimentation and hope to replicate the sound I have right now. It's quite possible making the cabinet too rigid could destroy some of the charm of this speaker.

As an alternate construction, I think this driver might be wonderful on an open baffle. The size of such construction though, even when only attempting 40Hz extension, leaves me a bit cold. The footprint of the Hornets is quite acceptable while going from the Rogers to two 4X8 sheets of plywood in my room would be too much, I think.

As the man said, when I grow up, I want to be a ZigmaHornet!

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1164
Now that's a review.

It really is shocking that such a simple set-up can move someone like yourself to such a degree.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1165
Got the Tektons, nice packaging, double-boxed, Styrofoam edges.

These speakers are VERY heavy given their size, I imagine there might be a fair amount of internal bracing. I usually lean towards the fancy wood finishes, but I really like the textured mat back finish, it all looks very utilitarian.

Now all I need to do is hook them up.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 569
OMG Art Dudley has inhabited Jan Vigne's body, schedule an exorcism fast!!!!

Wonderful review Jan. Based on the audition I was offered all I can add is that the coherence was the best I ever experienced and the dimensional sound stage is almost dizzying.

Gallos are back in play tonight as I did not want to fudge anything up with Black Sabbath "Live At Last" spinning.

Rogers with the Gallos 2nd coil only double fed from the same output of the pre-amp overcomes the bass discrepency you mentioned IMO. I had to re-dial the Gallos in due to the change of efficiencies brought about by the Rogers, but once balanced it compliments nicely.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1166
Jan, got an extra pair of those Merrill drivers you care to part with?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10910

Sorry, I was lucky to get the pair I have. They are in limited supply according to Dave Merrill's email.

Why'd ya ask? I hope things are going well with your new arrivals.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1167
Yeah, I tried to contact the man myself, but I guess he's still under the weather. I hope it's nothing too serious.

As to why?

You can't be too thin or have too many speakers in your closet, is my motto.

If the Merrill drivers are all but gone, I figure it wouldn't be a bad thing to stash away a pair for an emergency DIY project at some later date.

I have not been able to give the Tektons a good listening too yet, but I like what I've heard so far.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10912

Well, I sent him an email inquiring about availability and didn't hear anything for about six to eight weeks. I thought maybe he was just back ordered, wasn't shipping, didn't care to deal with people he didn't know or something had crossed in the transaction. Suddenly, he sent out a group message that said, they're here, give me cash and you get one pair. They were worth the wait. Be patient and see what transpires.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1168
I guess I'll have to.

It's not like I'm in a rush or anything, so I really don't mind.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8084
I sent an email as well, not holding out hope.
JV, if I source alternate drivers, could I get a copy of the plans from you and forward a check to him myself?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1175
From Planet_10 HiFi

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/zigmahornet-plan.gif

Gold Member

Post Number: 1176
The alternate driver would be the Fostex FE103E

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=266&osCsid=09c1eb3d22e5d587eb2c1cf47be3d2c4

Gold Member

Post Number: 8086
The Zig's were quoted at 93db or so from 6moonshttp://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

Is the cab responsible for the in room response boost?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1177
Since the Merrill DCA4 drivers are only rated at 91dB, that must be the case...I think?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10922

"Is the cab responsible for the in room response boost?"

The room is responsible for "the in room" response boost.

I guess I don't understand what you're asking.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1178
Pricey, but nice looking Merrill 5.5" Custom Monitors http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1188828958

Gold Member

Post Number: 1179
"The room is responsible for "the in room" response boost."

Then does that cab give any response boost?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8090
If the driver is rated at 89db, and tests on the speaker are resulting in, say 91(anochaic), then is the cab responsible for the increased response?
As opposed to the usual expected 'boost' from in-room, which is usually quoted a few db above chamber.

I have about 10wpc to use, and while the Ling's are very good for near field, the broadcast into my room is limited.

Thanks.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10924

Please show me where you are getting these specs. I have seen nothing "official" on the Merrill driver and someone guessing at the sensitivity doesn't count for diddly. My guess would be around 90dB + or - a tad. Keep in mind sensitivity specs are not broadband response measurements. Saying a driver is "X" dB sensitive is like saying my dog is "X" years old in human years.

"If the driver is rated at 89db, and tests on the speaker are resulting in, say 91(anochaic), then is the cab responsible for the increased response?
As opposed to the usual expected 'boost' from in-room, which is usually quoted a few db above chamber."

"Above chamber"? I really have no clue what that means.

A horn is an acoustic transformer and has the ability, albeit the function is frequency dependent, to increase the "efficiency" of the driver placed at the small end of its throat. The Hornet is a quarter wave pipe and a very simple one at that. It is not, in the strictest sense, even a transmission line enclosure. A quarter wave pipe can give a modest extension to the Fs (low frequency response cut off) of a driver just as any ported enclosure can but it does not increase broadband efficiency. The advantage of an enclosure, or just an open baffle, is to maintain the driver's sensitivity over a broader frequency bandwidth rather than loose the longest wavelength, lowest frequency portion to free air response which would create cancellations as the wavelength becomes long enough to wrap around the driver itself. The larger the "relative" baffle, the lower the response before roll off. But the advantage is only in the lowest octave generally speaking.

Since the Hornet is nothing more than a quarter wave pipe, I assume any driver can be used in a similar enclosure by doing the appropriate calculations which can be found on line. The 3" Fostex has been mentioned as a swap but the two drivers are not necessarily identical just because of their dimensions and frequency range. Merrill claims the drivers are a specific construction of his own design. So, I would not expect a 3" Fostex or TangBang to sound identical to the Hornet with the Merrill driver.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10925

psssst, Nuck, "anechoic". Not "echo" ... um, ic!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8092
The 'chamber' values are sometimes quoted from measurements taken in an anechoic room or chamber. The 'in room' response is usually quoted to be a few db above this value, so much as I have read.
The spelling was left as is, just as a freebie, sans spell chekc.

Thanks for the explaination of the baffle effect.
The broadband is not affected, the lower extensions are extended before rolloff.
Is this why you are deciding on how to construct the cabs of the Hornets?
Simply solidifying the cab in birch, or moving to mdf?
Assuming that there is no buzzing or resonance, is the birch ply adding something that might be taken away by using such a solid,heavy body?
And would the skinny cab in ply be aided by bracing, perhaps a full length run of balsa top to bottom?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1180
I wouldn't expecet the Fostex/Zigmahornets to sound the same as the Merrill/Zigmahornet combo, but I would expect them to sound good, and as you mentioned Jan, the Merrill driver may longer be an option.

Dave Merrill from the sixmoons.com article:

"I had tried a variety of wideband transducers, always leaning toward the Fostex line even with their peakiness. "

Andrew Brandon's Fostex/Zigmahornet review from fullrangedriver.com:

http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ12.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 8095
but more importantly, I think it is too light and needs to be coupled to the floor in a more substantial manner. I did put some homemade spikes on the bottom of the speaker to couple with the floor.

That's why i wondered about the mass of the cab and resonance.
Jan said the fronts were screwed in place for testing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1182
Did or would?

I would definitely spike those Zimgahornets.

I understand Jan's concern about resonance, or the loss thereof, but I would still opt for MDF.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8097
We shall wait and see, as I need the info to build a pair.
I have sent out the hounds for a Merril driver, then the 103Sigma, then a plain 103.

Helen will run the saw.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10928

As you can read, I found that page a long time ago. "When I grow up .... "

Much has been made of the various enclosures designed around the various full range drivers. There must be hundreds of enclosure plans for any particular Fostex driver and their method of encasing the driver - or not - is not restricted to any particular enclosure style or type. But, for the most part, in all of these schemes, the enclosure is trying to affect the lowest octaves of the driver.

Granted it is particularly difficult to squeeze that last octave of "oomph!" from a driver you are simultaneously asking to hit 15-20kHz. But, still, the enclosure is meant to aid the lowest octave and the rest is largely left to the driver design to get right - save the addition of some correction or baffle step networks along the way.

I would say the talent of the Merrill driver is its ability to play smoothly without any compensation networks being involved. While the Fostex drivers are popular for what they are, my reading says they all require some sort of intervening network of caps, coils and resistors to smooth the drivers midrange repsonse. If Tim were still involved in the forum, I suspect he would have better answers taken from personal experience. Unfortunately, Tim seems to be off the forum for the present time.

But, the Merrill driver is smooth when driven directly off the amplifier terminals and this is one of its virutes IMO. It has warmth and never screechs which makes it much more like the expensive single driver systems I've heard. The narrow cabinet mounting of the Hornet allows the driver to work into as much of a free space position as possible while still employing a cabinet of sorts to enclose the backwave of the driver. I'm going to guess this is in large part why the driver/enclosure work well together, the driver sees very little baffle around it to cause problems. In my case, I've used a bit of felt on the front baffle above and below the driver to further soften the transition in space which the driver sees. It is a tweak that has worked well on my Rogers and my old Spicas. I can't say it is a real improvement, but it doesn't hurt.

"Is this why you are deciding on how to construct the cabs of the Hornets?
Simply solidifying the cab in birch, or moving to mdf?
Assuming that there is no buzzing or resonance, is the birch ply adding something that might be taken away by using such a solid,heavy body?
And would the skinny cab in ply be aided by bracing, perhaps a full length run of balsa top to bottom?"

I'm think whether I want to change Merrill's suggested materials for two reasons. First, 1/2" ply isn't the best looking material when it's used as furniture. I can make a square corner but the materials still leave a bit of slop when you are gluing up a 60" cabinet. I can only buy so many clamps!

Second, the cabinet as I have it now is rather lively. Usually the "correct" thinking is to deaden the enclosure so as to hear only the contribution of the driver. "Correct" might not be the most logical. I know from living with the 3/5a's that there are reasons to desire a lossy cabinet that releases information quite rapidly rather than store energy as MDF does. The 3/5a's are, to an extent, tuned by tightening the front baffle screws and the cabinets are intentionally lossy to get the quick, musical sound the designers felt desirable in a small speaker enclosure. Tightening the woofer and tweeter on the Rogers could bring the speaker to a screeching halt as far as music making was concerned. There was the right amount of tightening and there was the wrong amount. I am thinking the Merrill is very much like this also.

More and more of the Japanese SDFR's are allowing the cabinet to be a bit lively in order to let the speaker make music rather than measure well. I get the feeling the Hornets might be similar. If the cabinet is too dead, the music's life will suffer. I am hestitant to destroy what I hear right now with the Hornets but this was just a test cabinet and doesn't look all that great. Not bad since I'm the only one who cares, but still ...

I'm quite literally concerned that even a glued together cabinet with these long panels will be too dead.

Internally bracing the Hornet is the same problem. The speaker works as a straight pipe. Why screw with that? The enclosure is affecting only the lowest few octaves of the sound but still I see no reason to change from what I hear. I assume Merril would have made changes to the plans had he thought the enclosure required more rigidity. Why should I not trust his ears? They've done a spectacular job on the driver as far as I'm concerned. I damped the enclosure slightly beyond his plans by using some Polyfill inside the pipe to deaden the enclosure slightly and remove some of the midrange that exited the slot, thus making the pipe a bit more like a transmission line. But why do more when it sounds like this?

I actually think, if I were to do anything, the way to go would be similar to the 3/5a and use a bit of bituminous material (the stuff they use on car panels nowdays) around the area of the driver and along the length of the cabinet panels. The actual enclosure volume is quite flexible in quarter wave pipes. It is the tuned length and the smoothness of the pipe which matters most in such an enclosure. But, then again, why change what I already have? I am quite haapy with what I hear through the Hornets as I have them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1183
I know Jan, I was just pointing out that the Fostex are not a bad choice if that's the way the zigmahornets need go from this point forward.

As for plywood, these http://vikash.info/audio/W3-871S/ are attractive, don't you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8101
A sheet of GOS and a fine blade should prevent splitting, or so my wife says.
The thing is to get properly cured material and pay a premium.
Then again, short cuts aren't the issue, those long thin cuts are made to split ply veneer, as opposed to the random body under other veneers.

Another good link, Chris.

How about 4 of these in the restaurant?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10931

Yes, it's really all about the driver used. There has always been the possibility of using the ply in an obvious way such as the little speaker in your link. Again much simpler and neater when it's done with 12" of ply rather than 60".

Username: Dl_spry

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 1
Any fruther interest in the Hornets? I built a slightly modified pair last year for the Fostex FX120 and after finding a relativly inexpensive pair of F120As now have them mounted in the cabinets. These are in my computer room and are run by a hand built modified Decware SE84C using my computer and a Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player as sources. They are VERY impressive. Dave

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10981

DS - I see by your profile you are a "carpenter". How did you build your cabinets for the Hornets? Glue? Screws? Both? Are you satisfied with the fit and finish of the 1/2" birch ply Merrill suggests?

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 2
Jan - Glued, clamped and finish nailed with a nail gun. I had 3/4" Oak veneer ply in my shop so used that for front and back with 5/8" MDF with a 1/4' layer of cork that were bulletin boards in a past life that I used for the sides. I tried to keep the inside measurments as close to specs as possible allowing for the driver size. I stained and finished the front after routing with a roundover bit above and below the driver. I used a satin black paint on the sides and back. I can try to get pics if you like. I do use a sub for the bottom end and am using a pair of vintage Coral H-3B tweeters to fill out the highs. Dave

Gold Member

Post Number: 8158
Dave, I be in for the pics!

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 3
Nuck - No problem. As you can see I'm new to all this and am not sure how or where to post. Any help is welcome. Dave

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10983

Tweeters because you thought the Fostex driver needed help or tweeters because you had them laying around the shop?

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 4
I orginally used them without but picked up a pair of the Corals for another project and plugged them in out of curiousity. I dont have any way to measure the difference other than my hearing but I feel they do add a bit to the highs.

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 5
Out of curiosity I just pulled the leads on the tweeters as I'm listening to a track that has a lot of cymbals and the difference is very noticible. I can hear all the high hat and cymbal work much more clearly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8161
Then DS, thats all that matters.
How do you find the rest of the range?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10984

You hear the cymbals more clearly without the tweeter in line?

What did you do for a crossover? Did you roll the highs off the Fostex? Certainly that would mean you don't hear much when you disconnect the tweeters. How did you manage the high pass filter and sensitivity differences between the Fostex and the Coral tweeters? It's your speaker and you get to do what you please, but isn't a two way with a crossover moving away from the general idea of the Hornets?

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 7
The imaging and soundstage are everything everyone says about the Hornets. Wide and deep. I placed these beside a pair of Fostex FE208 Sigmas in backloaded horn cabinets I built and had them running through my prototype 6550 40w monoblock amps and when I told a friend he was listening to the Hornets and not the horns he about fell over. They are amazing.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10985

"I tried to keep the inside measurments as close to specs as possible allowing for the driver size."

Tell me more about this. Did you keep the internal cross sectional area and pipe length as Merrill suggests? Did you work out a pipe that fit the Fostex you chose? Were you aiming for a particular low frequency response or just playing with what you had?

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 8
Jan- I have 1.5 caps on the 16 ohm Corals. I dont have the technical savy to be familiar with all the aspects of speaker design and theory so I try different designs and read and listen and struggle through that way (proven by the discarded cabinets in the shop). As to the purity of the single driver issue, I have struggled with that and have decided to let my ears be the judge. I am going to build a new pair of Hornets with the tweeters in the cabinets just to do a side by side comparison since it wont take to long to do. I have two other systems with my speakers(a pair of Fostex FE208sigmas and a pair of Moth Audio Cicadas) and neither of those need any help on top. Dave

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 9
Jan- I'm flying by the seat of my pants on most of this. I kept the height the same and added 1" to the width and 1/2" to the depth to accomodate the driver. I also ran a roundover bit around the inside of the driver hole to open that up. I wish I had the math background to help me through this and life after 60 doesnt make it any easier but I love music and am terribly frugal so here I am. If anyone can run the math on either of the 120s I can build anything and am willing to try. Thanks

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10990

If you missed it above, the Hornet, as drawn by Merrill, is a simple, unstuffed quarter wave pipe. The math is fairly simple though there are variations in how you can build a quarter wave pipe. You have to know the TS parameters, which should be easy to find on the Fostex drivers. Once you have that in hand, you start deciding what sort of pipe you want to build.

Most quarter wave pipes are constructed as transmission lines and they differ from the open pipe of the original Hornet only by way of stuffing the pipe and possibly folding the line. The basic math stays the same, you're constructing a pipe whose length is one quarter the length of the lowest frequency your driver can reproduce. As they say, a quarter wave pipe is like blowing across the open end of a bottle.

Stop me if you've heard this one.

Martin King has worktables you can use to figure out more than you really need for a TL or QWpipe. You can build a "restricted terminus QWTL" or several variations of the same idea. But the basic idea remains the fact you're working with the low frequency response of the driver and the enclosure is meant to enhance the bottom end response.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/classic.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66027

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66945

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-24920.html

http://www.thielesmall.com/database.asp

http://www.oldhifi.com/fostextech.html

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Loudspeaker_construction.html

http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/calculadores_en.htm

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html

http://www.quarter-wave.com/

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Gallery/Gallery.html

http://www.karoliinasalminen.com/speakerbuilding.php3

http://www.mhsoft.nl/default1.asp

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/software/

http://members.shaw.ca/t-linespeakers/diy-11-apr-99/linx.html

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/sitemap.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/tqwp_e.html

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/foldings/index.html

http://members.shaw.ca/t-linespeakers/diy-11-apr-99/projects/yves/index.html

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/links.html

If you didn't have any of those, that should give you some ideas.

How did you find the Hornets, Dave?

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 11
Jan- That should keep me busy for a while and thanks for an explinationn even I can understand. I think my earliest intro was on Melhuishs' original Full Range Driver site. After reading about it in the Andrew Brandon article and scrolling to the bottom of the page and seeing the Fostex 208E Sigmas that I owned setting next to the Zigmahornet and reading his comparison I just had to build them. I had an original pair of 103s'on a shelf so two days later the glue was dry and I was listening to them. They were nice but I still liked the 208EZs. Then I stumbled on a pair of FE120s on audiogon and while trying to find a cabinet design I liked saw they might fit the Hornets and that combo blew me away. I ran them that way untill I found the F120As and they just kicked it up a notch. Again thanks for all the help. Dave

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 12
Jan- When I figure out how to post a photo I'll take a picture of the 208EZs and the Hornets.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10994

OK, got a dog you can get in the photo? Nuck likes dogs.

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 13
O.K. Guys, How bout two pair of speakers and a pair of Mini Schnauzers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8167
okee doke.

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 15
O.K I give up. How do I post a picture in a message??? Thanks

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11001

Sorry, Dave, never tried it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1194
David,

Right under where it say "Preview/Post Message" it says "Upload Image or Attachment", Browse, Select, Upload, and post as usual.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1195
Happy 11,000 Jan!

11,000 post and no pics, now that's an accomplishment.

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 16
Thanks Christopher, Hard to see that forest with all those trees in the way. Could only get one dog to pose Nuck, Sorry.Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1196
I'm a little confused, there are tweeters on those ziggies? Where?

...nice dog.

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 18
No tweeters installed. They sit next to the cabinets on a shelf. The Coral horn tweeters are too deep for these cabinets and need to be installed from behind and these cabinets are glued and finish nailed so I'll build another pair with the tweeters above the drivers one of these days. I'm also looking at the "Harvey" of the Spawn family on the Frugal Horn site. That design will work for the F120As and I have another pair waiting for a project.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8176
David, you have put a wonderful finish on your Zig's.
That ain't easy to do.
It has been over a year since we said goodbye to Arnold Schnausernegger here.
a pat for the dogs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1198
I just got the Merrill drivers. They're smaller & heavier then I thought.

Jan, are these drivers shielded?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11016

Yep.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1199
That's what I thought, thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8185
I never got around to ordering those, and a 5" pair for 150$
Best do so soon, the delivery seems spotty/variable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1200
I wouldn't wait too long Mr. N.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8191
As soon as I get back from holiday.
I had this week booked for National Procrastinators week, but now it's been put off.

Are you gonna build the Hornet's Chris, or tuck them away?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1203
I really am going to try to build them up as soon as I can, but that will be???

I just wanted to make sure I got a pair of those driver just in case they become scarce.

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 22
Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the Merrills? Flange, Cut out and Depth? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1208
There's a link above to the plans.

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 23
If you are refering to the Planet_10 link, those are cabinet dimensions only without any driver cut out or depth dimensions that I can see.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11027

I don't have the plans in front of me but memory says the enclosure is 59" high, 4.75" wide, 3.75" deep. The driver cut out for the Merrill driver is just under 4". The port is a 1.5" slot.

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 24
Just a quick note to say thanks to all for the help. My curiosity and love of the sound of my Hornets got the best of me and I have a pair each of Dave Merrills drivers on order. I'll be able to have a side by side comparison hopefully before the month ends.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11058

Here are some interesting concepts for a Hornet re-do.

http://www.audiocraftersguild.com/Loudspeakers/oneZ/oneZ_index.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1217
Jan,

Are you familiar with the work Zenph Studios http://zenph.com/sept25.html is doing with "Re-Performances"?

If you haven't already, listen to this NPR segment http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/popup.php?id=10441820&type=1&date=28-May-2007&a u=1&pid=12332437&random=4766635172&guid=0000B3C8F59B06BC790FE8FB61626364&uaType= WM,RM&aaType=RM,WM&upf=Win32&topicName=Business&subtopicName=Technology&prgCode= ME&hubId=-1&thingId=10439850&ssid=&tableModifier=&mtype=WM

Bronze Member

Reno, Nv

Post Number: 25
Funny you should mention the Z/one link. My rekindled interest in building some new speakers led me to that link and the onkin link just yesterday. As soon as my shop is clean and ready to go(about the time the snow begins) I will probably try both of those.
And a thanks to Chris for the zenph link. Very amazing technology.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219
Glad you liked the link.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11064

Yamaha began talking up this tecnology back when I was still selling the brand in the late '80's. Yamaha is deep into digital and they find the amount of resources for digital "intervention" to be full of promise. I have very mixed feelings about the technology. You are not hearing Gould, Tatum or Ellington play. Gathering round a player piano, even one as sophisticated as this, is not the same as a live event. I put this in the same league as placing a holograph of Elvis on stage with Celine Dion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1222
Well put, but can't that be said about any recorded or broadcast event?

Are you familiar with the original album?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8246
They will just lip-synch it and show a booob.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11067

Nuck - You going to the drag shows again?

Am I familiar with the Gould disc? Somewhat. Gould is a performer I have to decide to listen to.

I find this logic confusing; "Glenn Gould's debut album of Bach's Goldberg Variations was recorded in 1955. It is one of the best known classical piano recordings ever, and it has been in continuous print for fifty years.

But, it was locked forever in monaural sound.

Until now."

Well, first, it is a recording of a solo piano. Without getting into the pros and cons of multichannel, how many microphones does it take to capture a solo piano? If you are going to present this as Gould's performance, should not the event then be staged in a recreation of the 1955 hall- probably without air conditioning - using an instrument Gould would have played. Not a Yamaha. And recorded with period microphones/tape decks/etc. of the day? Do you believe the performance was a true recreation of the 1955 event? Why would you buy this disc rather than the original? Could we digitally recreate the moment a great sports event ocurred? What would be the better way to enjoy that sporting event? A video of the actual event or a digital recreation of the event? Maybe we can digitally recreate the bombing of Berlin. That would be interesting!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8257
Vigne, the man is dead.Let it go.

The honesty of the music is easy to listen to, in whatever format.

I would rather listen to a cd than not at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1223
It's not a time machine.

Sure this technology has it's limitations, and maybe a 50's era recording is not a prime showcase for this technology, but a 1920's recording, or another recording from the dawn of the recording industry, I can see a place for it.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11068

"It's not a time machine.

Sure this technology has it's limitations, and maybe a 50's era recording is not a prime showcase for this technology, but a 1920's recording, or another recording from the dawn of the recording industry, I can see a place for it."

Ehh, not so much!

The Japanese will eventually build a robot they can dress up like Gould to sit at the player piano and consider what they've done a great achievement. Just hope there are no steps the robot has to maneuver, robots don't do well with steps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8258
Mr. Data

Jeez I am such a nerd!

Username: Joseiw

Post Number: 1
This has been a very interesting thread to follow, but I was wondering about Mr. Malloy's experiences with the Tekton Design speakers that seemed to start this thread off. Are you pleased with the speakers you picked up on ebay? It does seem that you got a good deal. How do you like them?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8457
Oh sure, Joe, just barge in and put the thread back in line. Sheesh...
How are you making out with them, CM?

Thanks, Joe, and welcome.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1267
I hate to admit it, but I haven't had much time to listen to the Tekton 4.5 , just a quick run through so far. I will try to get around to them soon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8458
Chris, I thought the t-amp would be running them by now..
Oh yeah, that whole career-life thing...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1410
Someone got a bright idea, but I think they're pushing it with the price (and look at the shipping).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D320170904944&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us