Speakers for djing help...

Silver Member
Username: Jaguar600

Post Number: 155
I am trying to find some inexpensive speakers to dj small parties with. I have a sony receiver that I beleive is 250 watts any suggestions. I found these what do you think...
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-New-Acoustic-Audio-700-Watt-DJ-Speakers-GX-450-Stereo_W0QQ itemZ110144138469QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10730

Anthony - How many DJ's have you seen using a receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Jaguar600

Post Number: 156
A few, and I dont have any money to buy anything I trash picked this receiver. I received 2 speakers from my friend for free but they were way over powered. Sure great to know you really wanted to help me out.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7744
Anthony, go to the music shop and check out powered monitors. I heard some really really awful Behringer units last weekend, sourced from a laptop and mp3's.
If you spin good cd's, or lossless files, you can get powered monitors, on stands, for a good price.
I would not rec using the receiver for powering speakers at a party, that is the domain of multiple amps(and I watch the temp of my amps).

Remember the last time you were at a DJ'd event?
Powered monitors.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10743

"Sure great to know you really wanted to help me out."

You'll apparently never know, Anthony.

Next time you see a DJ at work, ask how they think a receiver works for that application. If they say fine, then use what you have. Otherwise, save some money for some gear that actually will hold together during the entire party. Receivers are not meant for your purpose and they will blow up when pushed hard, especially a dumpster diver Sony. How many jobs will you get once the music stops in the middle of the show? You want to be in business? Then get the tools required to do the job properly and stop being a whiney crybaby. Would you build a house with a can opener? Would you fix a car with only a hammer? Buy the stuff that works and be right with the people who will give you cash for doing a job. If this is you just bringing your receiver and speakers to a party, when it stops you can say they got what they paid for. For that you can use any speakers. Otherwise, do the job right or not at all.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 499
Nice speech Jan! I love irony.

Username: Albertaguy7

Medicine Hat, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 7
Years ago, about 25 of them, I used to have a DJ service and I was running a Sansui G33000 pushing a pair of Wharfedale E90's. The music was supplied by an Akai 10" reel to reel and also a turntable. I also had a Akai cassette as well. Back then CD's were not around yet. I had this service for about 2 years and I would estimate I played close to 100 events. I was busy almost every weekend and sometimes on a Sat as well as a Sunday. The 33000 pushed 300 watts(real watts) and the Wharfedales ate them up. The power needles went to 600 watts and they were usually stuck near there all night long. I only ever had the fan in the reciever kick in on 1 occasion.
That was a great system and it was the only time I could really use it was for parties and such.
And turn it up I did. It was fun and I made some good cash that went straight into my jeans.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us