What a difference!

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 75
I picked up 27 fiberglass panels earlier this week. They're 4' x 2', 2" thick, and 3pcf. I'm waiting for the burlap to wrap them to arrive on friday, but on a whim I took one bundle of 9 and distributed them in my room. I stacked two in each of the corners behind the speakers, put a few up against the walls, and two more in one of the back corners.

Even using 1/3 of the panels I bought, the difference is astounding! It really takes the sound to another level, tightening everything up and allowing everything to sound much more transparent. Bass articulation has improved tenfold, and what used to sound like a group of muddy sounds now is a series of articulate, well spaced notes.

I can't wait to wrap these things up in burlap, hang them properly, and hear the effect of all 27 panels in the room.

For reference, the room is my bedroom, and is 12' x 12' x 10'. It has two closets at far side of the left and right walls, one with a door and one without. The entrance is on the right hand side of the wall facing the speakers.

Josh

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10644

Reference noted, Josh. Be sure you don't overdamp the room and don't forget the ceiling.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7668
Like Jan said, Josh!
A dead room is no more tolerable than a room that is too lively.

Are these panels from a suspended ceiling?

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 77
The ceiling isn't suspended, and I'm working on some way to mount a couple panels up there as well.

Anyone who says that your room is one of the most important aspects of the sound quality you'll enjoy is absolutely right.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 467
Interestingly enough my wife, who has negative interest in this little hobby of mine is in Home Depot with me and points out the pink foam acoustic panels. Suggest I get those, cover them in some fabric I like, and surround the room with them.

I suspect she is growing weary of being in the downstairs Master Bedroom or Family and hearing my music.

I am not sure that whether or not I should tell her that I could double line the room with this and she will still hear my music.

I do not think I need to do this, but it might be worth the effort to go get about 40 panels and place them around the room and see. Heck if I don't think that they improve anything I can just crank it up and prove to her it is a waste of time, where if it does improve things to the point it becomes a value proposition...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7691
Gosh, Mike, I can't argue with that logic.
Marsh, maybe not so much.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 78
Mike, it really does make a difference. If you have some time, give this a read:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

If you do buy acoustic panels, make sure you get the right stuff. I was in Home Depot a few months ago, and wasn't able to find something suitable, although they did have something that at first glance looked like it would work.

I think the problem with acoustic treatments is that they take a lot of effort to do right, and most people would rather buy a new interconnect or power cable and think that made all the difference in the world. I can't make any final judgments until I complete my project and have all the panels set up properly, but so far I'm inclined to believe that proper acoustic treatments are far and away the best way to spend your money. If my room was bare, I'd do this over upgrading any part of my system.

My burlap has arrived and I should be able to wrap up some panels tomorrow. Was going to do it tonight, but I ran out of spray-adhesive before I got around to the burlap. I'll try to post some pictures when I get everything finished up.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10678

"Spray adhesive"?

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 80
It's tacky glue that comes in a spray can, used to bond the burlap to the fiberglass.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10686

I know what spray glue is, Josh. I was concerned with how you were using it. Let's postulate a bit here. The fiberglass operates on the principle of allowing sound waves to penetrate the fiberglass material's open cell structure and dissipating the sound wave's energy by way of converting it to heat inside the fiberglass's many junction points and obstructions. The spray glue will create a sealant effect that essentially turns the fiberglass into yet another nonporous (read reflective) surface. While softer than your drywall room surfaces, the sound waves will not be allowed to enter the fiberglass unless they are shorter than the open structure of the surface they strike and therefore the fiberglass will be rendered inefficient and frequency selective at its purpose. No open cell structure to the surface of the fiberglass, no sound dampening effect.

Or, have I hopefully missed something here?

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 286
Will the glue have an effect, Jan, if he uses it only on the back side of the panel? Pull the burlap around the panel and glue to the back of the panel-like.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1946
Personally, I'd stretch the fabric tight and staple it to the back of the panel.

Just make sure that the fabric's sonic properties and panel's sonic properties aren't at odds with each other somehow.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7704
Staples came to my mind also, Stu.
Like the TimeWindow 1's and 3's, just pull the staples and roll off the fabric like a French safe...

Cannot type 6 letter words that mean 'French safe' hear, it seems, starting with 'c'.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 81
Staples aren't really an option as they would just fall out of the fiberglass - it is far too soft.

Hopefully the glue won't be an issue, ATS Acoustics sells it on their site under DIY acoustic materials. I don't think there is enough glue present on a panel to have any effect on the penetration of the sound waves. I'll do some research to make sure this is the case before I assemble any more panels in this fashion.

Username: Monstercable

Post Number: 1
i dont understand why you people are spending so much for audio i have a panasonic 2 in 1 which is very good and the sound is super. try and get that if u want.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7708
Damn, 30 yrs of listening, reading and trials, 'monstercable' should have shown up before the internet and all this silly forum stuff.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us