Cross-over Network Circuit for Infinity RS 2 Speakers (1978 vintage)

Username: Bwana1951

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 1
I have some ancient Infinity RS2 monsters that i have owned for nearly 30 years. I believe that only 7 pairs of these beautiful monsters were ever imported into Australia.
Can anyone help me in obtaining the original cross-over network circuit so I can rebuild them.
Would highly appreciate any assistance.

Bwana

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10604

What's happened to the original crossover that you can't read values from it?

Ciao!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7619
Gerard, agrred with Jan. Are the cap values not printed on the componants?
The RS2 us a ceramic resistor with a value of 10w in the tweet XO, you might want to replace it now with a bigger 25w piece. The stock is 3.7ohm, I thonk, lower by .2 to avoid the harshness sometimes attributed to the tweets. Have fun!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7620
I psell graet, yes?
I refuse to edit.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10608

me twoo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7628
JV, if I missed your platinum membership kudo, I offer it now, silly me.
How proud you must be.

Go ahead.

Post Number: 2
Look fellas, my xover are still in the speakers and operational, I simply want to construct my own improved RS2s to closely replicate my originals, with maybe tweaking the acoustic characteristics and maybe upgrade the base units to 12" and rearrange the open baffle speaker cluster and repalce EMITs with ribbon tweeters. So I hope you all get the drift of my plans as I don't want to touch my existing speakers.

Regards

Bwana

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10621

Look fella, if you do all those things, you no longer have a speaker that even remotely resembles the original and logic would indicate you should use a different crossover designed around the drivers and layout you have created. Crossovers are tweaked to a specific driver/enclosure design and are not interchangeable - if you want the best results. If you aren't concerned about the best results, buy some generic crossovers from Madisound or Parts Express and modify those, it will be far simpler than trying to figure out what isn't needed from the Infinity design that relates only to the Infinity.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7645
I look for the link I had to knockoff speakers from DIYAudio, they had lists of tested mods for the Infinity's, I think.

Post Number: 3
Hi Nuck,

would appreciate the link to this DIYAudio so I could check myself. By the way, my RS2 xovers were modified in 1982 because of defect in design that effectively caused its impedance to drop to 0.7 ohms in the vocal range, the effect being that every time i cranked up the volume it blew the output stages of my 300W mono units The bloke who modified the xovers was a hi-fi guru in Australia at that time and he unfortunately passed away not long after he worked on my speakers. The problem was apparently rectified by Infinity stateside but us poor blokes in Oz were left in the dark.

Regards

Bwana1951

Gold Member

Post Number: 7650
Bwana, the link seems to have been consumed by my bad hard drive, along with most others. Lovely. It might still be in the archives?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10629

I once had a dog that chased it's own tail.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us