Class G Amplifier

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 125
Since I don't have a background in electronics, I don't really understand the difference between between different operating modes of amplifiers.

The reason I am asking is that I own an Outlaw 2200 monoblock which is class G/AB. From what I've read it operates in AB mode until it peaks up to about 80 watts, then switches over to G mode from there.

How does this affect the efficiency or operation of the amp? The outlaw has an output of 200 watts. Would a comparable amp that was AB right up to it's maximum output of 200 watts be considered better?

I guess what I'm asking is does the class G operation of the amp somehow detract from it's overall quality...

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10572

Does Outlaw offer an explanation of what "class G" operation amounts to?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 127
Not that I could find, but I read this entry on Wikipedia which helped me understand the different classes of amplification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10575

If the amplifier operates in class AB up to 80 watts output, it is, for the most part, only the ocassional, micro-second long peak that drives the amplifier into class G. Typical requirements in a home system would mean you are hearing class AB 99% of the time since you are unlikely to use even 80 watts continuous power (20 or 30, or less, is more common with moderately efficient speakers). If the question is whether class G operation for that small portion of your listening time detracts from the performance or sound quality of the amplifier, I would answer, "No, it does not." A "typical" class AB amplifier might sound better or worse, depending on how it is built and what speakers you connect to its outputs.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 129
That's about what I figured. Thanks Jan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us