Monitor Audio or PSB

Username: Pradeep

Post Number: 2
I am planning to get a NAD 372 or NAD c162/272 .
I have three speakers in mind
1) Monitor Audio RS6 ($1500)
2) Monitor Audio GR20 ($1500) (As the GR is replaced by GS sereis my dealer is giving me a 50%dicount on the $3000 speakers)
3) An equivalent PSB speaker in the same price range.
Could anyone let me know about which would be my best bet?

Post Number: 3
I am sorry a typo. The first speaker I was talking about are the monitor audio RS8s and not RS6.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7531
Hi Pradeep.In fact, I have the rs8 and Psb silver stratus in the room.
what would you like to know?
What do you listen to, what for, and at what power level?

BTW, I rec the seperates.

Post Number: 4
I listen to a classic rock and classical. I listen at moderate listening levels mostly. Rarely I blast the system. I am interested in knowing which is a good overall performer. I need a good mid range and highs with tight bass. I currently have the RS6 with C352 I feel like I need more definition in the music and a little more details on the lower ends.

Post Number: 5
Also could you let me know why exactly you recommend the seperated. Will the seperates be better even if I dont have any intentions of expanding. Have you listened to both the amps I am talking about.
Thank you for helping me out here..

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7565
Pradeep, yes I have listened closely to both arrangements, and have conversed with a bunch of owners.
In all honesty, I have never been a huge fan of the Nad presentation, I leaned more towards the Rotel house, and subsequently went to Classe, which lends itself well to Rotel cdp capabilities, very fast, no slope and attack like a New York carjacking.

I rec the seperates for a few reasons.
The simple maechanics of seperate power supplies are known quantities.
The value and adaptabilities mean never ending possibilities to spend money

You get to find good interconnects.

The speaks are another matter.
For overall performance(minimal classical here)
The Psb Stratus Silver is way above the RS8.
Bear in mind that I have modded them a bit, but the speaks can deliver 40hz in room, with placement placement placement.

The 8's are quoted at 30(!) but I did not place them at all so carefully, they stand waiting for a good use. Mike Wodek found them to like a lot of power(can do), just like the 87db Psb.

The difficulty to drive factor is next.

The MA8's do not present a difficult load at all.
My power numbers and heat from the (straight A) amp showed the MA's to be very friendly, as opposed to the 4 ohm Psb's.
The Nad seperates will run difficult loads with no issue at all. Very robust. The 352 will accomplish the same feat, but the power amp will do it without cooling issues, and do it all day.

I need another coffee, maybe.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us