Installing sound system for cafe. bought 4 bose 301. which amp should I go with?

Username: Mediaprofessional

Post Number: 1
installing sound system for cafe. bought 4 bose 301. which amp should I go with?

I'm thinking of going with cheap sony or pioneer stereo amp that has speaker A+B selector.

maybe I should go with some reinforcement amp like crown, since it will be running constantly, like 10 hours a day. but I am worried about the sound quality.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 123
It'll be hard to find anyone around here that has anything good to say about Bose.

Can you still return them?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7551
Danny what do you want the sound environment of your lifetimes investment to sound like?

Username: Mediaprofessional

Post Number: 4
wow.. i didn't notice they were that bad....

I thought it was ok, since I was shopping at circuit city.

I know I am pretty bad at differenciationg sounds, but to me at that price range they all sounded similar.

is there a way or tool to measure the quality of sound?

thanks guys.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 232
Your ear.

What sounds good to your ear, Danny?

But, before you decide on that, GET OUT OF CIRCUIT CITY! There's better stuff out there in your price range. It ain't at CC though.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 689
I'm not sure I would really worry about Bose a whole heck of a lot. For the given application, they'll do just fine, perhaps better than others, with their wider sound field.

The main things I would keep in mind are what kind of volume are you trying to get, and warranty/service.

How big is the cafe in question? How loud are you looking to get music in this cafe?

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 16
I think the day Circuit City goes out of business, I will throw a party. Danny, before you finalize a placement of your bose, here is a sound test you can do to determine if you like the sound of a bose speaker. Place a large tin can on a glass coffee table. In one hand have a stick in the other a wrench. Now at the same time, bang the stick around in the tin can while hitting the coffee table with the wrench. This is what a bose speaker sounds like. lol. Im playing of course. They will be fine for your cafe. If you have narrowed it down to the sony or Pioneer, go Pioneer. If I may ask..what is your price range and how much were the 301's? You can get two pair of Paradigm Atoms for like 500 bucks cdn that will kill the bose. Just curious. You might be able to get a better two channel amp then a Sony or Pioneer as well. Let us know. Cheers.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 17
Local Audio shop in town is clearing out NAD T743's for 399.99 cdn.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 132
That's a very apt description of the "Bose sound". Good work Nick.

I'm happy with my Pioneer... I would recommend that over Sony.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14071
If it is going to be for a cafe, the environment is really not that conducive for a great listening environment. Get yourself a professional amp like the Crown you mentioned.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us