Amp for Dynaudio 1.3 MKII?

Username: Borisiz

Post Number: 1
Hi everybody,

I have a chance to buy - relatively cheaply - a pair of the above mentioned speakers. They are out of production, so it's hard to find people's experience with them.

I don't have much money saved up, and since this is unexpected, I don't really have anything to use them with.

Right now I am debating between the Rotel 1062 and 1072 CD player, and the Rega Mira 3 and Apollo CD player. I heard the Rotel setup with these speakers, though the receiver not the amp, and I thought it sounded pretty good. Don't have much to compare with though so I was hoping for some advice...

Any other components I should try out?

Thanks!
Boris

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2188
No, this is not a good idea. The Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII is a fabulous speaker but it is very demanding of the electronics The electronics you are considering would not be able to drive those speakers properly. If I had to choose between Rotel and Rega Mira, I'd choose the Rotel because it is quite a bit more powerful than the Mira, but I still wouldn't consider it an ideal match.

That said, you could still play the system with reasonable results at low volumes - just be ready for distortion if you turn it up.

Username: Borisiz

Post Number: 2
Hi Frank,

What would you suggest? Should I try to step up to a Naim, or even something like AVI or Creek? I've been trying to find deals online but haven't had the best luck. I was trying to keep it under 2k, but would definitely like to not spend over 3k for integrated amp/CDP ... possible?

On the other hand, these are going into a fairly small place, so loudness will not be too much of an issue.

Thanks,
Boris

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2192
Boris,

There are many amplifiers that can do the 1.3s credit, but they all have far stiffer power supplies which means they're all a lot more expensive, sadly. Of the ones you mention, the AVI is the easiest choice. Lots of power allied to an excellent preamp stage means the 1.3s should work well with it. However, I haven't heard the combination. The AVI came out after the 1.3s had gone. So you would have to try before you buy. The cheapest Naim power amp I would consider in this situation would be the 200 power amp or possibly Naim's new SuperNAIT integrated which is about to be released and has similar power capabilities to the 200. Both the 200 (which would need a matching preamp) and the SuperNAIT are quite a bit more expensive than the AVI which then exposes the requirement for better sources.

The point here is that if you go down the 1.3 route you then need to muster up with all the electronics, not just the amplifier. An Apollo is a fabulouis CD player, but it's fabulous in its price range. Once you get into the SuperNAIT/MFA3.5/AVI/etc range, you need to build the source end. You'd be talking of the Saturn as a minimum!

OTOH, if you got yourself a pair of more easily driven speakers or more sympathetic speakers, you could have an excellent system based around the Apollo (whether it's with a Rotel amp or a Rega since the Apollo is far better than the rest, except perhaps the Creek of which I've heard good things).

It's a bit like building a car. If you start with a set of mad 285/40/18 wheels, you're suddenly going to have to stump up for the appropriate drivetrain and chassis to go with the wheels (think Ferrari). If you go for 195/45/16s then you can get away with far less in terms of drivetrain and chassis and still have a hell of a lot of fun (think Lotus Elise, which can show most Ferraris a trick or two).

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us