JBL L890's - any recommendations for amplification?

Username: Jfmacken

Post Number: 1
Hello HiFi enthusiasts. I recently picked up a pair of JBL L890 speakers, and have them powered by a harman kardon 3480 receiver. The sound quality is pretty darn fantastic as is, but I was wondering if any of you could recommend one of the more upscale receiver/amplifier brands out there such as NAD or Rotel to match with these speakers. I understand they are not the ultimate in hifi speakers, but I wanted to make sure I would be maximizing their potential. Would I get a notable improvement in sound quality, or only marginal? Currently, my setup sounds very smooth, detailed, and almost life-like across the entire musical spectrum...

Username: Enam

Post Number: 1
Recently I bought JBL L890 speaker. It produce clear live like sound but I'm not geting tight, deep bass. Mid-range, Tweeter are working fantastic. I'm using Yamaha RX-V450 (85wpc) AV amp and probably it can not drive 890. I'm looking for Marantz PM7200 Sterio amp but before buy I need to confirm how it will match with JBL..

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7561
Guys, if you want to maximize any componant's potential, then you have to feed it a good source.
Think good cdplayer.

Post Number: 2
Enamul, I am most certainly getting good bass results with the hk 3480 (120w x 2) - there is no need for a sub (at least for my taste). Nuck, I've got a pretty decent cd player in my system and realize that sound is limited by your source material - however I was just wondering if anybody had used any of the upper class receivers or amps with these speakers and got good results out of it. My cd is a denon dcm 380. Just not sure if the higher end amp units are worth the pricetag here or not.

Post Number: 2
I've decided to buy a stereo amp. Here, I dont have many choise. I've to buy Yamaha or Marantz. Anyone can advice best match for JBL 890 from the following list?
- Yamaha AX497 (85W @8 ohms)
- Marantz PM7200 (95W/25W (Class AB/Class A; 88dB)

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 218
john, I have got the same pair driven with a nad C272 along with C162 preamp and it sounds amazing.. In my opinion, i don;t need a sub the bass is stupendous,,deep bass all the way...
I listen to R&B, and a bit of hip-hop, and the jbl do the job just fine...
Oh yeah, cd player is nad's 542... crisp, clear sound....

Post Number: 3
That's great Shane. I agree the bass is excellent on these speakers. I've never owned a stereo setup where I could honestly say there is no need for a sub, but the JBL's have got an impressive low freq response. Sounds like you enjoy the NAD and JBL combo. I think I'm going to stick with my HK3480, it sounds amazing, and even more importantly, the entire setup was only 1000 total! Now all I have to do is enjoy lots and lots of music...
John

Just a side note, I'm going to be using this setup with an ipod at my wedding reception this fall - no need for a DJ or pro setup, this rig can fill up a huge banquet hall with no distortion... sweet!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7953
John, I am in the middle of planning a few gigs as well.
You really should visit the room before declaring sweetness.
Big rooms are hard to fill.

Post Number: 4
Nuck, I had already done a test setup a couple weekends ago at the venue. Present parties were the fiancee, a couple of friends, and employees working at the reception hall. Everyone thought the volume and quality of sound was more than adequate for the occasion. That was when I got my impression. The room is probably 6 times the size of my living room - and the sound including deep bass fills the whole room nicely. I agree big rooms are going to be hard to fill, but for this kind of event you dont need to fill the room with 110 db of sound - its for a wedding, not a rock concert.

Post Number: 3
Anyone use supplied spikes with 890 speakers? Do you find significant change in sound? My JBL placed on shiny Tiles floor and spikes not yet been used. Before I fit them, wonder how much will improve. Bass is still hollow not tight and deep. Thx

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 221
yeah I Use the spikes coz of the carpet in my place, deep bass I would say, It does make a difference in sound...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us