Integrated stereo amp with sub out

Username: Dafidav

Post Number: 1
Hey fellas, I need some advice regarding my 2.1 setup.

At the moment, i have a Trends TA-10.1 powering a pair of Mission M32i and using a Wharfedale Powercube 12A

I'm running a chaintech AV-710 sound card in my computer and running a 3.5mm line out from the sound card into the amp using 3.5mm to RCA cable, and another 3.5mm to RCA cable from the sound card into the line level input of the sub.

I want to know is there an amp that that has a sub out so i can control my sub level from the amp, or something like a pre out(not too sure what pre out on an amp mean though)

Because, at the moment, even if my amp is off, and i play music on my computer, the sub will turn on and start producing bass, also with the current setup, if i turn up the volume on the amp, the bass level from the sub will remain the same, thus i would have to increase the volume dial on the back of the sub

I was thinking of using the Rotel RA-02 because someone told me i can connect my sub into its pre out

Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10445

Run the sub from the speaker outputs of the amplifier.

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 2
then where will my speaker connect to?

i've been advised not to run my speakers through the sub because the the trends operates on digital amplifications and the Grounds of the speaker output cannot be shared. passing the speaker output to the sub will cause the grounds to be share and will damage the trends.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10446

I'm not familiar with your sub, but most subwoofers have provisions for a connection from the amplifier's speaker outputs to the sub and then back out to the main speakers. If your sub doesn't provide this connection but has speaker level inputs, run only one channel from the amplifier to the sub. Virtually all bass beneath 100Hz is mixed to mono so you will not be loosing bass response. If the sub is active (with a built in amplifier) with speaker level inputs, you should have sufficient volume to satisfy your neeeds. If the sub is passive (without an amplifier) with speaker level inputs, you will need another amplifier to run the sub. If you're trying to run a passive sub in this system, you have made a poor choice and should rethink the entire system.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1050
I don't know if you've seen this gadgethttp://www.audiomagus.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypa ge_modern&product_id=22&category_id=21&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&I temid=27 , but I thought it might help

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7361
CM, that looks to be just the ticket!
Whaddayathink, David?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1051
Glad to be of service.

David, How do like hat M32i/TA-10.1 set-up? Pretty sweet, I've run that same combo myself and was mightily impressed.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10447

Thanks for the info, CM, I didn't know about the 6V above ground.

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 3
wow thanks for that link Christopher!

Now, may i ask whats the purpose of that SubLine T-Amp Sub Connector?

from reading the details there, i understand it allows me to connect my amp with the sub, but how?
I'm not too sure how i would go about this.

The picture of the SubLine T-Amp Sub Connector has 2 RCA terminal, and 2 sets of speaker terminal.

Chris - I love my setup with the Trends and M32i, the sound clarity is awesome and I'm just playing cds through my computer, one day ill invest in a stand alone cd player and will see what the difference is

cheers

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 4
Oh also, would that subline T-Amp sub connector affect my stuff since im living in australia and its a USA product, thus is there any differences in voltage?

Also, by using this connector, does it allow me to control the sub level from my amp? ie. if i turn my amp up, the sub level will increase as well, and the same thing for when i turn the amp down?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1053
"Thanks for the info, CM, I didn't know about the 6V above ground."

...to tell you the truth Jan, neither did I before I came across this thing.

David, scroll down the page & read the detailed description, it's pretty straight forward.

As far as the voltage question, I'm afraid that's above my pay grade, any idea Jan?

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 5
I've read it a few times but am still not sure

"Using the SubLinea¢, just connect the Left and Right speakers as usual. Then connect the SubLinea¢ to same speaker terminals (as though it was another pair of speakers). Now connect the output of the SubLinea¢ to the subwoofer's amplifier via RCA cables and you have both stereo channels feeding into the subwoofer."

Does that mean i connect my speakers to the amp as normal, then connect the subline to the same speaker terminals on my amp? then run RCA cable from subline into line level input of sub?

I'm still not sure if it does what i want it to do, ie. when i turn up the amp, the sub will go up as well, and when i turn down the amp, the sub will go down too, thus when my amp is off and i play music, the sub will not kick in (unlike how it is now)

sorry for the 10000000000 questions but im new to all of this

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10450

This appears to be (and has no reason not to be) a purely passive device which connects to the speaker outputs. Therefore, the speaker level voltage is all it's concerned with and that is the same all over the world no matter what incoming AC voltage is fed to the amplifier. The amplifier takes the incoming 110/220 VAC and converts it (rectifies the AC voltage) to VDC. The amplifier circuits run DC to the outputs which then create a modulated AC voltage. The device should do what you want. The speaker level output is knocked down to a line level voltage and the grounds are isolated. From what I understand you want, this should do the trick. However, contact the manufacturer for clarification.

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 6
Thanks Jan,

I've contact the manufacturer and they have said it does what i want.

1 thing though, im still not sure how i would go about connecting it up, is the way im describing it correct?

"Does that mean i connect my speakers to the amp as normal, then connect the subline to the same speaker terminals on my amp? then run RCA cable from subline into line level input of sub?"

Just unsure because the above method would have 2 sets of speaker cables going into each left and right speaker terminal on the amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 7363
The leads from your 'puter(as 2x rca) go into the device. Two leads from the device go into your amp. The 2 odd vertical connections go to the sub.

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 7
from the pictures, there is 2 rca, and 2 sets of what looks to be speaker terminals?

wouldnt i want the signal from pc to be going into amp first?

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 204
nad c372

Gold Member

Post Number: 7366
Ahh, the good ol' full size pic.
Right you are, David.
Amp speaker out to device, device to speakers, rca's to sub.

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 8
how would you connect the amp's speaker terminal to the device terminal if you are going to connect the device's terminal to the speaker?

man this is confusing

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 9
ok i did a draw up of how i think i should connect it, is this correct?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/dafidav/Misc/setup.jpg

cheers

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1054
Your illustration is correct David.

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 10
Cheers Christopher!!!

Finally i understand :D :D :D

are those terminals on the subline connector able to take banana plugs?

is there anything like a banana plug that allows for 2 piggy back banana plug?

so i can use banana plug instead of having to unscrew the cap and use the binding post for connecting the subline connector to the amp

cheers

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1055
"are those terminals on the subline connector able to take banana plugs?

is there anything like a banana plug that allows for 2 piggy back banana plug?"

I assume those terminals accept bananas like these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?PartNumber=091-1260&raid=32&rak=091 -1260

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10452

There are stacking bananas but a simple bare wire or spade lug connection is best. Those binding posts look sufficiently well sized to allow most reasonably sized cable for a T-amp. What guage wire are you using?

Bronze Member

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 11
Chris - whats the difference between those one you linked me and all the other ones?

Jan - i wanted stacking banana plugs for ease of disconnection whenever i need to as bare wire is a hassle to unscrew the post then take them out, they also look "messy". What do you mean by spade lug? i have never used them before, how do i go about connecting spade lug to the binding posts?

cheers

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1057
"Chris - whats the difference between those one you linked me and all the other ones?"

Nothing.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10454

http://www.cobaltcable.com/loose_universal_spades.htm

Bronze Member

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 12
thank you jan!

ill try to source some here in australia

cheers

Bronze Member

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 13
Hey guys, what DAC do you guys recommend for use with my system?

My sound card has SPDIF, so i can use an optical cable to connect sound card to DAC, but whats a good choice?

will using a DAC still let me use my subline?

cheers

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1058
http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Product/USB_Audio_desc.htm

Bronze Member

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 14
with that trends, is it an actual DAC? cause it says i can connect a dac to it via usb?

i dont understand what the usb is for though?

my sound card has SPDIF, so cant i just connect sound card to that Trends via optical cable, then from UD-10 to amp via a 3.5mm to RCA cable?

will i still connect my subline as normal as if there was no UD-10?

chees

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1059
"with that trends, is it an actual DAC? cause it says i can connect a dac to it via usb?"

Yes, it's a bypassable USB.

"i dont understand what the usb is for though?"

It's just another PC hook-up option.

"my sound card has SPDIF, so cant i just connect sound card to that Trends via optical cable, then from UD-10 to amp via a 3.5mm to RCA cable?"

Yes.

"will i still connect my subline as normal as if there was no UD-10?"

Yes.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/trendsaudio_ud10_e.html

CM

Gold Member

Post Number: 7397
"my sound card has SPDIF, so cant i just connect sound card to that Trends via optical cable, then from UD-10 to amp via a 3.5mm to RCA cable?"

The S/PDIF is a co-ax, yes? Not optical?

Bronze Member

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 15
when i look at at my SPDIF, it looks like i can plug in an optical cable though

Gold Member

Post Number: 7398
David, the S/PDIF looks like a cable connection, close to RCA. The optical is a digital out(5.1 or more) leading to a dac outside the unit. A S/PDIF is an analogue connection, via coax, to a receiving module of some sort, like a DAC.
Your card, a CL product,may have an optical out, I have not seen them all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us