Receivers for B&W VM1 speakers

HT Amature
I'm not sure what receiver I should get for this B&W speakers.
Have anyone heard them?
Here is the speaker SPEC:
Freq. Response 75Hz - 20kHz ± 3dB
Freq. Range -6dB at 65Hz and 22kHz
Sensitivity 91dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
Nominal Impedance 8ohms
Power Handling 25W-100W continuous into 8ohms
Drive Units Unit 1: 1x 125mm (5in) bass/mid
Unit 2: 1x 25mm (1in) high-frequency

Dispersion Description: Within 2dB of response on reference axis
Harmonic Distortion 2nd & 3rd harmonics <1% 100Hz - 15kHz (90dB spl, 1m)
Crossover Frequency 3.5kHz
Cable Impedance 0.2ohms
MY ROOM IS ARXM 18x15.

SO, CAN YOU MAKE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT RECEIVER SHOULD I BUY TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THIS SPEAKERS.

THANKS.

HT Amature
To narrow the selection, I like
1) Yamaha RX-V740
2) HK AVR-325
3) Or should I go with better or less expensive receiver.
Please advise.

Do you have a home theatre set-up? By which I mean a front right, center, front left, surround right, surround left, and a powered subwoofer? Or do you plan on getting such a set-up?

This is very important as to which receiver you buy. As the particular B & W speakers have a sensitivity of 91 db, wattage isn't terribly important. They will play as loud as they can before breaking up with any receiver over 60 watts a channel.

Receiver choice ultimately depends on whether you plan on keeping these speakers a long time and whether you have or want to have a surround set-up with a powered sub-woofer.

I need (and you need) to know the answer to these questions before anyone can make a responsible answer.

HT amature
I just bought B&W VM1 5 speakers (center, fr, fl, rr, rl and subw B&W AS1)
I'm planning on keeping those for at least 3-4 years. (I like the design of those speakers it matches my interior).
And if I get HK325 with 7.1, how can I use it for a 6.1 speaker set up in future (couse I cant do 7.1 speaker due to room shape.)
Thank you.

Greg Stern
I haven't looked at the specs on the receiver you have. But if it is listed at 7.1 you will have no problem. There will be outputs in the receivers back for the front center, left center, right center, rear right surround, rear left surround, and for the subwoofer. As I presume that your subwoofer is self-powered, there will be no problem.

According to the "Ultimate Guide to Hi-Fi and Home Cinema 2003" of WHAT HI-FI (you should get it!), the following receivers are recommended with the B&W VM1/AS1:
-Sony STR-DB1080
-Arcam AVR200

I personally also recommend Marantz 7300.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us