Biwire types?

Username: Omray

Post Number: 1
Bi-Wiring (I want to do this for the sound quality for my B&W 705 speakers connected to my Denon 2807):
When using speakers set up & created for bi-wiring [the separate drivers], please advise me for what truly will give the best sound possible. Should I take my two sets of pureav Belkin cables, plug them into the same receiver outputs, then put them separately into the two sets of speaker terminals, or is it actually impotant to purchase biwire speaker wire (one set of + & - on one end, and two sets on other end)? Also, since my receiver (like most) has a speaker A and speaker B output, if I should use two sets of non-specialized-bi-wires, how would it compare to use the above described method vs. putting each separate cable from the receiver into the A and B slots? (Note: Denon AVR-2807 has Audyssey setup, which I hope will not get confused if I were to use the A and B slots to actually do biwiring into a total of 2 speakers.)

Banana plugs/clips/etc.: What is the advantage & disadvantage of using these?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 673
bi-wiring may not help the sound quality as much as you may think it will.

The first step to improved sound quality will be to purchase an improved single-wire speaker cable over what yo already have.

Also, use some of that speaker wire to replace the jumpers on the speakers. This will gain you a difference that will more than likely be superior to what you will gain with bi-wiring.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4736
I recently went from a biwire setup to a single with the same high quality cable for jumpers and my system sounds better. I first tried the new cable without the jumpers and because it's better cable than what it replaced it sounded better. Then I replaced the factory jumpers with matching jumpers the difference was amazing.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1022
Art,

Can I ask what kind of cable?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4737
I switched from Chord Rumour 4 (biwire) to van den Hul D-352 Hybrid. When I bought the D-352 the fellas at Eugene HiFi gave me some extra scrap (1.5 feet or so) and I used some terminations I had laying around the house and made some mighty fine jumpers...sounds great.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2146
Samuel,

Do you want to biwire or biamp?

If you are running just 5.1 then you can set the 2807 to use the extra surround back amplifiers for one set of terminals on your speakers. This would allow a lot more grip and drive from the system.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Omray

Post Number: 2
Dear Frank:

I know I want to make use of B&W's suggestion to biwire, but I'm wondering what is the best way to do it.
I'm using 7.1, so I'm wondering if I should use the speaker [wire] B outputs on the Denon to connect to the other two terminals on the b&w speakers, or if I should just buy a biwire and go only out the speaker A outputs (rather than both A & B), or if I should just use two sets of my good wires coming out of the speaker A and then going into each separate driver on the speakers?

Thanks for your help w/my system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us