Speaker advice and how to compare specs

Username: Terri40

USA

Post Number: 1
I have been researching internet direct speakers for a 5.1 system for my living room. I'm hoping to create a short list of speakers and then make a comparison and hopefully make a purchase. The thing is I don't really know what to look for.

I have limitations in that this is not a theater room so I don't want speakers towering all over the room. I also have a budget for speakers in the $1500 range. I would like to budget $1000 for the receiver.

Can someone suggest speakers and give me a clue how to compare them?

The set up is a large family room with cathedral ceilings. 20 x 24 x 16high. I've designed a wall unit to hold the L/R and center speakers.

Ideally the surrounds would be nice as in-wall speakers since there is really no place to descretely place them.

I have looked at the following brands but most don't have in-wall speakers to match. Am I on the right track. There are so many my head is spinning and I want to make a decision soon.

I have no other equipment and I'm looking at receivers such as Denon, Maranzt, Yamaha, and the new Pioneer and Onkyo's. I first want to pick the speakers.

I've researched Internet Direct speakers like:
AV123, SVS, Swan HiFi, Axiom, Aperion, RBH Sound,
and HSU.

Epos, Acoustic Energy, and Monitor get good reviews from a UK publication.

I hope you can steer me in the right direction.
I want the best that my budget can afford.

Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10418

"I want the best that my budget can afford."

Crap, not another one of those! When will someone ask for the most mediocre thing they can buy for to much money? Yeah, yeah, Kia's still making cars but I'm talking about hifi. Everybody wants the best yada, yada ...

Terri, you need to look at the height, width and depth of each speaker, then glance at the weight. You need to know if the speakers are going to fit where you want them and whether you'll need a truck to bring them home. Otherwise, most speaker specs are useless. If you have large amounts of measurements done by independent testing facilites, you might make a more intelligent decision regarding which amplifier will best work as a system with which speakers, but you won't find out which speaker is "best". And, you'll find your head spinning right off its base when comparing all those numbers and they will mean little to nothing if you don't know how to interpret what you're seeing. Or, have someone who does know how to intrepret what you're seeing and guide you to a better decision. That pretty much boils down to finding a dealer you feel comfortable with and relying on their guidance. We can't do that for you here, we tend only to suggest what we like, which should be unimportant to you.

Right now, you have too many options on the table to make clear comparisons; what one does well "on paper" here, another might do something else "on paper" better. Narrow the field, and ask the dealer you choose plenty of questions. Get some names you can call for recommendations of the dealer's knowledge, pricing, realiability and capability to complete the job on time and under budget and, if you can, go to a few houses and listen to the results. Your system won't be anything like theirs, but listen and look at the quality of the installation. Ask about what happpens if you're disatisfied after the install is completed and ask the previous clients if they had any problems, if so, how were they resolved.

Stop banging your head against the wall trying to get the "perfect" system. What you buy from any of these lines (or dozens of others) will be very good and you can forget about the pieces and enjoy the whole very much sooner if you don't get worried about this and that and the other. That is the job of the dealer, find a good one and relax. {uOne}, not several or several sources. Deal with one dealer and installer so no one is pointing fingers at the other guy when should problems arise and leaving you cold. Find a professional and let them work out the details. Like a physician the best dealer usually sits and answers all your questions and makes suggestions that place you at ease with the process. Shop the dealer, not the system nor any single component of the entire system.

Username: Terri40

USA

Post Number: 2
I dreaded posting the question because I know how redundant it is.

But thanks Jan for suggesting a professional audio/home theater dealer. I do have a decent store nearby that doesn't seem to see $ signs when you walk in the door.

I didn't check this, but what if there was a sticky where members post the details of their systems. Stating the room sizes and selections they have made. Maybe even photo's? Just a suggestion.

Best wishes,

Terri

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 232
You really raise two issues: one has to do with aesthetics and the other performance. I wouldn't need an expert to tell me what speakers fit my decor. But I realize that interior decorators make a living at just this sort of thing. An audio expert might be helpful, but you will probably have to listen to some speakers in your home to make the final choice. I would be skeptical of advice from this or any other forum on exactly what brands and models would be most suitable based only on the room dimensions you provide.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us