NAD 2150 in Protection Mode - Worth Repairing?

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 77
Hi All,

I just recently received an old NAD 2150 power amp. As soon as I turn it on the protection light comes on and the relay never switches over. The interesting thing is that maybe 1 in 20 attempts the relay kicks over and the amp fires up.

Is there any point in tracking a repair shop and dishing out the coin to fix this amp?

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 78
I'll take the lack of responses as a no ;-)

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 667
I would go and get an estimate but take it to an authorised dealer that knows Nad. It may be an easy fix but I am no technician. The worst it would cost you is maybe 25$ - 50$ to find out what the problem is.

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 79
Thanks. I'm contacting audio repair shops in the Ottawa area to get idea of what it will cost.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7200
It's worth opening it up and blowing out the dust. A can of contact cleaner as well.

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 80
Thanks Nuck, I'll try that first. Failing that I found someone here in Ottawa that has experience with NAD gear who'll look at for free and give me an estimate for repair.

This amp certainly looks like it's seen better days...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7213
So have I David.
I shall never give up...I shall never surrender

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 100
So I had someone take a look at the amp. I forget what he said what part was faulty on it (I'm not very technical when it comes to electronics). Parts and labour will cost be about a hundred bucks to get it back to working order. I'll probably go ahead and get the necessary repairs done.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 140
OK, here's an update for anyone who cares.

I got this amp back from the repair shop last Friday. After two attempts by the repair guy I'm glad to say it lives again.

Using it drive two pairs of speakers on my back deck. It sounds superb. 50 watts x 2 of NAD power is more than enough to annoy the neighbours.

Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7647
Great, David!
Did the bill come in close to the estimate?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 143
Yup. Came to just over 100 bones including taxes.

All in all the amp cost me over 200 bucks (including repairs). Probably more than it is really worth, but I'm glad I have it now.

Username: Miguelovitch

Post Number: 1
'Using it drive two pairs of speakers on my back deck. It sounds superb. 50 watts x 2 of NAD power is more than enough to annoy the neighbours'

I do think you are right here. NAD sounds great, specialy when they are bridged.

This nad 2150 uses sanken semiconductors in the output stage. check www.miguelovitch.dk/repair notes.htm FREE and http://www.miguelovitch.dk/schematics all.htm. Also schematics for nad 2150 are awayable. Sorry no English navigation yet (coming soon) but all content are in english. And Most are FREE
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us