NAD and Rotel?

Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi, I've just joined this forum. I've been out of the audiophile world for years (spent my $$ on motorcycling instead) but am getting back into it (sold the bike while I'm still in one piece).

I still have decent speakers, B&W 602 S2's, but have been using a JVC receiver & CD player, so I'm now in the process of buying better power and CDP.

I've read the old posts and am familiar with the rough distinctions between NAD (warmer) and Rotel (forward). But what I'm wondering about is the efficacy of mixing the two.

Here in Canada, the differences in price between components is considerable:

Rotel RB1070 preamp: $999
NAD C162 preamp: $700

Even better, I found a new C162 on ebay for $450 and bought it, and it's being shipped to me now. So that decision's made.

Next up: power. I went to a local hifi shop and heard the Rotel RA1062 integrated w/ RCD1072 CDP run through B&W 602 S3's (close enough to mine).

It sounded awesome, very detailed and tight, but...I think it might be a little too bright at home (hardwood floors). It wasn't bright in the showroom, but that's a much warmer room than home. It reminded me of my old Carver combo that I used to have, which I dearly loved (never should have sold) but was also a little too bright w/ hardwood floors.

So, I might consider getting the NAD C272 amp. However, I don't need all the power (live in a condo), and the entry-level Rotel amp is a much better price:

NAD C272: $900
Rotel: $600

So now I'm thinking maybe mix the NAD pre with the Rotel amp. And I'll probably buy the NAD C542 instead of the Rotel CDP, because it's 55% of the price ($550 vs. $1000), and I'm not going to pay $1k for a CD player, because I'm not poor but I am trying to be frugal.

That would give me a system of:
NAD C162
Rotel RB1050
NAD C542
B&W 602 S2's

What do people think? Will I miss out on synergy by not going with all NAD, having committed already with the preamp?

Will the NAD pre & CDP to some degree mitigate the 'forward' properties of the Rotel amp, or is the amp itself the biggest source of that difference in sound?

I'm interested to hear in what people have to say.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4688
Better off going with the NAD power amp. BTW congrats on the 162, nice score. I used to own that preamp and it's very good. I also used to own a Rotel power amp and I enjoyed it very much. I wouldn't rule out the possibilty that the Rotel would be ok because of how well Rotel and B&W 600 series speakers work together, but ideally the NAD would be the right choice. With your CD (which I also used to have and love) your system could be quite good...spend the extra now to get it right from start...no regrets.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 666
I agree with Art. By the way.........you said you were in Canada, where is the C542 550$?

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 76
Hi Frank,

Whereabouts in Canada do you live? $900 for the C272 is list - you can definitely do better than that. I recently picked one up for under $700.

I don't think the C272 will be overkill for your condo. Even at low volume it has an amazingly "wide" and "breathy" sound.

Canada

Post Number: 2
Thanks to all for your advice. I'll take Art's suggestion and stick with NAD. Better to pay a bit more and get what I want.

I'm on Vancouver Island, almost as far west as you can go.

David, thanks for the heads-up re. your price on the 272, gives me something to bargain toward.

I also bought some headphones on ebay, AKG 601's, so I should be set there.

I'll also buy a tuner and am considering the Cambridge 340T. I don't like how the NAD tuner doesn't have a row of buttons for presets, and the Cambridge should be good enough...it's only so the wife can listen to the radio anyway.

Can't wait to get it all! Should be fun listening to every CD all over again!

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 185
Nad updated their tuner to the 425 and it comes with it's own remote (about time). You can program in 30 presets, it has a sleep timer, and they have improved the sensitivity (i can attest to this). It is a nice unit and is a step up from the 422 which I had prior to the 425. I would consider getting the nad tuner.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 362
Watcha Mr Bridled, how's it going? I haven't been over these parts for around a year! I've been hanging on the Brit forum hifiwigwam which is excellent. Must remember to start posting more back here on Ecoustics!

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 186
Hey king, good to see you back don't be such a stranger. I have made some changes and additions to my system: sold my polks lsi 9's and purchased NHT 3's, added an HSU vtf-2 mk II sub, sold my nad 422 tuner and purchased the nad 425 tuner, and sold my nad 541i cdp and purchased an onix cd-2 from av-123.
I feel all my changes have improved the overall performace of my system, all I have not changed are my passive pre and the c272 amp. So enough about my system, what have you added or changed in yours? You have those silver components huh, very nice. Have you had a chance to demo nad's m3 integrated and if so what do you think? Hope to hear from you and I shall pop in on that Brit forum to add some Yankee wisdom.

Canada

Post Number: 3
unbridled, thanks for the tip re. the NAD tuner. I'll definitely reconsider it based on your recommendation. I'm not a big radio listener, so it's not as much of a concern as the other gear, but I am a believer in spending my money on quality. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 364
Unbridled,
My system is much the same as when we last spoke, my most recent addition were the Spendor S9 speakers. Come on over to hifiwigwam and say hello! My username over there is 'Injector'! That invite extends to all you Ecoustics guys. It's a great forum with a social side to it as well although those other sections are clearly marked if you don't want to participate. If you just want to debate hifi, go straight to the 2 Channel Debate section. There's also a home cinema section. Apologies to Frank S. for hijacking your thread!

Canada

Post Number: 4
sun king - no apology necessary; thx for the link to hifiwigwam, I'll definitely spend some time reading there also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us