Rega Exon 3

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 105
Has anyone owned, auditioned or heard these amps?

Would love to hear some opinions/experiences any of you may have had with them.

Would also love a description of their sound character.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 23
If you have heard a Mira, or Maia, then that is the exon, but on steroids. More power to control the speakers, much quieter background, very fast response to transients. and changes in volume. Rega style ebb and flow to the music. convey the feel of the music. I find it hard to describe sound in words, but having gone from a brio to cursa maia, then to cursa exon at each stage up the Rega ladder you just get more of the same. More power, more detail, lower noise floor, but that Rega music first still comes through. If you Like what rega does and stands for, then the Cursa Exon set up is the best they can do (currently). I have no wish at the moment to try to go any further forward with amplification. They make excellent partners for the Saturn as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Thank you, Colin.

I have never heard the Mira or Maia.

Let me get some opinions, here.

I'm considering matching up the Exon 3 monos, with my Musical Design SP-2B tubed Pre Amp (1977 NOS Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe Tubes) and using my second Rega Apollo as the source.

What do you guys/gals think?

I suspect it could be an interesting matchup which could deliver a highly musical presentation. But I'm just not sure, since I'm not familiar with the Exon 3.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2140
If you like the Apollo, ten the Exons are more of the same. The Exon 3 is by far the best of the Exons. Good drive and power, enjoyable to listen to in a 'less is more' way. Tight, fast.

But I've never heard them with anything but the Rega Cursa preamp...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 24
I had mine (3's) very briefly hooked up to some AR valve pre, it was different, more air, more space, more Hi Fi- downside was less drive to the music. Sorry can not remember the model, but I did overall prefer the effect with the Cursa, but then maybe frank is right and it is a less is more type thing, and I very much like Rega's approach to music reproduction. It was around the time I was starting to look around to change my Planet CD player, and I had a Copland for a few weeks, it is possible that the copland was the culprit, as it went and the Planet came back out of its box while the search continued.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Thanks Colin.

I really like the match of my Rega Apollo and my Vincent SA-T1 (hybrid Tube Pre Amp). There's something special about that combo that really gets me, musically and emotionally.

I'm hoping to get a similar sound/effect with my second Apollo, the Rega Exon 3 Monoblocks and my Musical Design SP-2B tubed Pre Amp. I suppose it will be a bit different considering out of the equation is the Butler TDB 2250 Hybrid Tubed Amplifier; which is the amp I use with the other Apollo and Vincen SA-T1 Pre Amp. Of course the Wharfedale Opus 2 speakers also play a part in that first system.

Now that I think about it, it's doubtful I'll get a sound too similar with the Rega Exon, Musical Design and Apollo, lol. But it may very well be a desirable sound, nonetheless.

One thing for sure, it will be an interesting experiment to see how these components mate and flow.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1844
NMyTree,

Here's a site with some reviews of Rega gear in PDF format. Sorry I don't have any personal experience with Rega seperates.

http://www.plurison.com/rega/

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Thank you for the link, Stu.

Very, very helpful!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us