Update: Rotel RA-1062/RCD-1072/Audioquest Cables

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 247
So here I go again with the junkie upgrade bug. My last system consisted of as follows:

Marantz SR7500
Marantz DV7600
Klipsch RF-15 Mains
Klipsch RC-10 Center
Klipsch RS-25 Surrounds
Klipsch KSW-10 Subwoofer
Monoprice.com interconnects and 14awg wire

I thought the system sounded pretty good for movies since most A/V receivers can handle that with relative ease but the 2-channel audio was always lacking that clarity and imaging. I went down to my local Rotel dealer and auditioned the 1062/1072 combo with Audioquest Diamondback interconnects and wire.

After about an hour of listening to some redbook and remastered cd's I went ahead and purchased the full setup at 5% off which considering the next closest Rotel dealer is 80 miles away I thought that was a nice jesture.

New setup:

Rotel RA-1062 Integrated Amp
Rotel RCD-1072 HDCD Player
Klipsch RF-15 Mains
Audioquest Diamondback RCA interconnects at 1m

I still have the center channel, surrounds and woofer but I dont have them hooked up because I want to focus on pure music playback.

It's been about one day of constant play back and right now the system sounds much much better than my marantz combo. Its still alittle forward right now but I suspect that has to do with Klipsch horns. I think those have now become my weakpoint of my system so Im looking into B&W 700 speakers which Ive read pair well with the rotel combo.

The RCD-1072 Is a gem of a player. Open soundstage, fast response, clear vocals, literally no black noise. Its quite a bargain at $700 but keep in mind it is no Rega Apollo which is $1000.

The RA-1062 is a very powerful amp and really shows what an actual 60watts delivered can really do instead of all this other mass market junk ratings. I have BARELY turned it up and its rather impressive. I do also realize the sensitivity of my speakers has a lot to do with that.

Anyway wanted to drop back in and report on what I thought about the combo.

Altogether my total cost for the full system in use was $1950 which is a pretty good budget stereo system.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7084
Sounds great Eric. The sensitivity of your speakers hasn't changed since swapping out the Marantz, your new amp is indeed a great performer.
The 1072 needs to run in for 100 hrs or so, it will settle down after a while.

Congrats!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1805
Eric,

Great buy. While the RA-1062 is a great integrated amp and will perform to specs without problems, it most likely won't be enough to power B&W 700 series towers. It may be more than sufficient with 700 bookshelves, but the towers require more power than the 1062 can swing. Same for the Paradigm Sutdio towers. The 20's and 40's may work, but it'll sturggle a bit with the 60's and 100's.

Rotel works great with Paradigm and B&W. I personally like Paradigm more, but that's just me. Just make sure you're not asking too much of the 1062 power wise. The B&W and Paradigm towers have impedence swings that'll make things tough for just anout any 60 watt integrated amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
Stu thanks for the heads up, are there towers out there that are along those lines that can be powered properly by the 1062 like the Klipsch?

My dealer said that I could even power Sonus Faber Cremonas properly with the amp but that really didnt sound right to me, especially at a 4 ohm load.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7085
If the cremona's are a steady 4 ohm load, the 1062 will not have an issue powering them.
If the ipedence swings low, or the phase angle is wide, another choice would be good.

What is the sensitivity of the SF speakers?
Bernie has those.

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
it was i believe 90db with a 4 ohm load but im not positive, thats just going off of my memory

Gold Member

Post Number: 7093
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/304sonus/index3.html

oops.
The cremona drops to 2.8 ohms. More disconcerting, the -53deg phase angle will eat the Rotel.
I think Bernie uses 200wpc Outlaw stuff, which has a touch of hammer behind it.
The Rotel don't look right on paper.

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
balls!

well then i guess i need to find some Paradigm Studio or reference series towers to go with my combo

any thoughts?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1810
Eric,

I'm not very good with specs and charts, but the B&W 700 and Paradigm Studio series towers are hard to drive. If you've got a dealer that can set them up and show you, take a listen. The integrated amp wasn't designed for this complex a speaker.

If you're intent on getting the B&Ws or Paradigms, you may want to look into adding Rotel's entry level amp and bi-amp the speakers. The output from the integrated will power the mids and highs, and the seperate amp will power the lows.

If I'm not mistaken, Rotel's entry level power amp is 70 watts and costs around $600.

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
Well my only Rotel dealer doesnt carry Paradigm, just Dali, B&W and some others. My Paradigm dealer is an idiot on hold from Paradigm because he hasnt paid his last invoice.

Stu thats very good advice, I think if im going to go with new speakers than Im going to look at their bookshelf lines and just get the best of that line for my setup.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1814
You could go with bookshelves, and add a sub to take care of the bottom end. Check out REL, ERA, Totem, and Martin Logan subs. They've great for music. They may not give that exagerrated bass that home theater fans love, but they're phenominal at music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7104
Eric, in all fairness, he may be a small business person who is trying to eek out a living in an ultra-competative marketplace, while trying to put 2 kids through college and planning a wedding for an elder daughter.

Psb B25's might not need a sub if you place them right.
Yes?No?

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
Stu; I was reading about some Totems with the rotel combo and the reviews were pretty positive but they were just tricky to place in a room.

Nuck, Thats what I thought too but he does tons of installs for high dollar clients for lots of money. I think he just figures he was free equipment for him for net 60 or something. Which is disappointing for me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7110
To tell you the truth, Eric, I am disappointed as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
lol sniff sniff

but anywho my rotel dealer carries PSB so when I head down there this weekend ill audition what he has with that setup.

Also, i tried out some Grado Labs RS 2 headphones and I have to say those were probably the most dynamic, full presentation headphones ive ever used. I mean it actually sounded like full range speakers and I even heard some notes in Pink Floyd's "Money" song that I had never heard before.

Simply amazing when you start getting away from mass market and into HiFi.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7140
Simply amazing when you start getting away from mass market and into HiFi.

Tell all of your friends.

The Rotel/Psb setups are very familiar to me.
I love the way that some of those work together.
Stu Pitt, and Art may not have heard them together, but the influence runs through the family lines.
Rotel and Paradigm are very dynamic, as well.

For example, the 1062 integrated and the Paradigm Studio 20v3 standmounts are very exciting.Toss in a 1072 and, well it doesn't fit everone, but James Taylor is right there.
Joe Walsh is having a beer with you.
Stevie Nicks is...well you get the idea.

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
Hey guys

just another little update since ive had the combo

ive tweaked with it just a bit now, adding a PS Audio power cord, their 3rd highest.

And also a Golden Sound Pad to eliminate the cd player vibrations.

Ive logged about 30 hours on the combo altogether and about 10 hours with the tweaks.

The best way for me to describe the effectiveness of the tweaks would be now, my speakers have had the filter lifted from them and the midrange is damn near flawless.

I still have to buy one more power cord for my cd player and a better voltage regulator, something that keeps it around 115.

Currently my fluctuates between 118-125 so im thinking about getting rotels 400 series power center to work with the system.

I went out and bought about $200 worth of classic rock cds from the Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Steve Palmer and the Eagles to SteppenWolf and Steve Miller Band.

This is really a new experience and I cant wait for the final 100 hours on the cd player to get it to really shine!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1830
Eric,

What speakers are you running? The Klipschs, or did you get something new?

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
Klipsch Reference RF-15s in cherry, veener is pretty good and I got them on sale for $360 for the pair which i thought was a steal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
So a another new update

I upgraded my interconnects to Van Den Hul and what an immediate difference in presentation and clarity. It really toned down the harshness of horn loaded klipsch's.

However I finally demoed some B&w 704's with the RA 1062/RCD 1072 combo and it was exceptional. It really brought Dark side of the moon into the room and Meddle has never sounded so authentic to the original recording.

I broke down and bought a pair of 704's in cherry and I plan to buy another rotel amp and bi-amp the speakers to deal with any low dipping impedence swings the bass causes.

I have to wait 7 days or so to get my speakers but it gives some time to build up my cd collection even futher. I have all of Pink floyds albums and I have started into the Rolling Stones and into Steve Miller even heavier now.

Ill report back on when my speakers come in and i have broken them in.

Oh i paid $2099 for the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4747
Congrats on the speaker purchase Eric. Which vdH cables did you get?

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
D-102 III Hybrid for my new interconnects.

much better fit with the connections and the sound quality has really stepped up a notch i cant wait for my 704's to come in.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4750
That's what I'm using with my XM...dealer only had one pair at .8 meters which meant I had to rearrange my components to use it. My dealer really doesn't like that particular model...I do. It improved the sound I was getting from my XM markedly. I would not hesitate to buy them for most any application.

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
Art,

from all the research I did, it was really one of two cables that could do justice in that system without reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Doesnt make any sense to spend $300+ on an interconnect on a $3400 system IMHO.

This cable really was the best choice being that my dealer let me trade up from my Audioquest Diamondbacks and just pay the difference between the two even though its been a while since i bought the AQ cables.

Service like that makes me happy to pay the markup because we have plenty of crappy BB and CC stores that couldnt care less about us and too few dealers who actually do care.

I had to get the 1.2 meter cable since my dealer was out of the others but that worked perfectly in my system. I paid $250 for my cable.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4752
Always great to have a dealer that will work with you, I'm pleased to say that I have such a dealer as well. Makes the experience much more pleasurable

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4753
Oh and I paid $150 for my .8's. He used them for a couple of weeks from his cable box to his TV so he simply called them demo's. Cool by me!

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
very nice art, ill report back on when i get my b&w 704s and let them break in.

Im really excited how these new components and cables can help the 704s sing. The system matches up really well sonically.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7308
Eric you are the poster boy for people on forums who poo-poo good dealer relations and go for internet prices.

I am looking forward to your evaluations of the 704's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7309
In fact, I have considered the 704's or 03's myself lately.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
If you can spring for the 703's and the extra $1000 doesnt hurt your wallet too much go for it. They sound more open and dynamic than the 704's but not enough for me to spend that difference. I had a strict budget for my first real HiFi system and I wanted to make sure I had a good source first.

The 704's sound excellent IMO for my application but you do owe it to yourself to audition the 703's along with the 704's

either way you cannot go wrong, its just a question of how much better arae the 703's compared to the 704's for an extra $1k? Not enough for me but still enough to hear it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
So my 704s finally came in. I went with another PS audio power cord for my cd player.

Here is a little link with some pictures of my setup.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=10838&page=37

Music is much more "musical" and its no longer annoying to listen to it like it was with the klipsch speakers.

Im a very happy camper so now im off to the music

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4808
Beautiful system Eric....now imagine a silver P3...well you get the picture. I have owned alot of Rotel gear in my life and find it to be very musical, and with those B&W's...wow!

Bronze Member
Username: Docutech

Post Number: 20
Eric,

I heard this EXACT setup yesterday at The Sound Room in Saint Louis, MO. I am in the market for a new amp (1080) and the 1072 Cd player.

I found this combo to be VERY warm (almost muddy) in their demo room. I was blown away, however, with the dynamics and instrumental seperation that the cd player was able to reproduce. The rep was gracious enough to bring in his CD player from home. I spent an hour with him listening to many cd's that I brought along as well as some of his demo discs. There is no doubt in my mind that the Rotel RCD-1072 is a great unit. I just wish someone had the 1080 and 1072 paired up with a set of Axiom M60 v2's in my area. :-(

Beautifull setup nonetheless!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us