Bose Jewell

Username: Evenflow

Post Number: 1
I Live in a modern one bedroom flat lots of nieghbours I have seen Bose jewell speakers advertised on ebay. They would normally be used for lifestyle system but I want to use them on a std amplifier. they are advertised with adapters to do this but I am scared I will blow them as soon as I turn up the volume. I am not looking for anyones opinion as to whether these speakers are overpriced or not as good as another brand as I am buying them for their aesthetics. They look good. How do I make them work correctly ie. crossover/seperator? Speaker setting on amp? Or where can I find the right information or someone that has done this. Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7079
I would contact Bose directly.
Be ready to apply an autoformer for your application.

http://www.zeroimpedance.com/products.html

Post Number: 2
Response to this was they are not suitable for systems other than lifestyle

Gold Member

Post Number: 7081
Not suitable, or won't work properly, I wonder.

If the 'adapters' are autoformers, then you should be able to tune the speakers to work.

And yes, it is likely that they will blow up under anything other than low volume.
Little paper full range speakers,tuned above 120hz can do that.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2100
If the response is they're not suitable then there is a real chance you will cause damage if you try. Can you not consider alternatives with similar aesthetics such as the M&K Xenon 26 or Xenon 36? M&K have closed their doors but there are bound to be stocks around and the Xenon series are gorgeous in their gloss black finish - much more pleasing to the eye than the Boses in my view. They don't go below 110hz of course, but that's your problem (just as it is with the Boses).

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 623
The adapters are NOT autoformers...they are simply a method of adapting the speakers to accept regular speaker wire.

These speakers WILL work with the acoustimass module, but they NEED the crossover that is inside it. This is not an option.

Bose stating that they won't work is them covering themselves if they blow, should you not hook them up to their acoustimass module.

Post Number: 3
Bose also told me they are suitable for lifestyle only NOT acoustimass. Surely it must be possible to seperate the correct frequency and make these work. This was the response from the seller
"First, I am not the Bose engineer, thus my answer is not as good and realistic technologically as the engineer's, but I am willing to share with you my knowledge.
These Jewel Bose speaker is very sensitive in producing the sound, thus when it receives the signal in a low frequency, it will produce the sound as loud as other brand speaker does in HIGH FREQUENCY. This technology makes Bose speakers become famous.
Second, the advantage of low frequency is that the sound is very crystal clear, it is not static or distorted.
I think you misunderstood about these Bose speakers. These speakers are the LOW FREQUENCY SPEAKERS. They are NOT the high frequency speakers.
Thank you very much for your inquiry"

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 633
um...the acoustimass module is the low frequency speaker, while the Jewel Cube is the high frequency component. I have owned an acoustimass system, and have a good friend that owned a lifestyle system.

I think you have it backwards.

Are you talking about this speaker?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-WHITE-JEWEL-CUBE-SPEAKER_W0QQitemZ280108994338QQihZ018Q QcategoryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If so, it is the high and mid frequency speaker... feed it any bass at anything other low volume and it will blow.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 634
it CAN work with the acoustimass, you just need adapters to work with it... but I already told you that...

Bose will not tell you that because they want you to buy an entirely new system.

Post Number: 4
That was a quote from the ebay seller in regards to frequency being low when I questioned it's suitability. this was his original response.
" Hi,
Technically you are right about the bass separation. But in reality in USA, there is a different story.
Many music lovers, who like these speakers, modify the connection of these speakers.
They connect these speakers directly to other brand amplifiers, then they set their amplifiers to the LOWEST FREQUENCY because these speakers work best with the low frequency.
The second type of modification is that they connect these speakers to the Bose Acoustimass subwoofer, which also function as a bass separator. In this case, you don't need to set the frequency.
These speakers come from a Bose Lifestyle system and Bose never releases their rating OHMS, therefore I have NO answer for you.
Thank you very much for your inquiry"

There is quite a few people selling these speakers on ebay so I figured there was quite a few people buying and using them on other systems but have joined this forum to get the right info before I purchase. It looks like my simple question has no simple answer. thanks for your responses so far. Again it was the look of these speakers that appealed to me most. I can not play load music where I live but at least I can look good with these tiny speakers if only I could make them work

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 532
Have you actually considered dropping the $200 for a new Bose Acoustimass 3 system or trying to find one on E-bay instead of buying two jewel cubes, adapters, and praying that it doesn't blow up in your face?

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 143
Yeah, whats m&k, which spk brand is that... I thought it was mark levinson, which i guess is not..

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2103
Miller & Kreisel, until recently only one of the most renowned manufacturers of surround sound speakers. Have a look at http://www.mksound.com

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 636
In other words, the eBayer told you what I already told you... buy an Acoustimass module and run the cubes through it.

The acoustimass filters out the bass. The jewel cubes can NOT take low bass.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7088
These Jewel Bose speaker is very sensitive in producing the sound, thus when it receives the signal in a low frequency, it will produce the sound as loud as other brand speaker does in HIGH FREQUENCY. This technology makes Bose speakers become famous.
Second, the advantage of low frequency is that the sound is very crystal clear, it is not static or distorted.
I think you misunderstood about these Bose speakers. These speakers are the LOW FREQUENCY SPEAKERS. They are NOT the high frequency speakers

Uhhhh, yeeeeaaaaa.

Takes the low frequency and turns it into high frequency.
Ummmmmm...

Post Number: 5
Gavin I aready have an acoustimass system. Look at the original question. The reason I am on this forum is I don't think the ebayer knows what he is talking about. Please try and answer this question without telling me what to do. I have a space problem no more bass unit suggestions. If you don't know the answer let someone else try and answer. How does the accoustimass system seperate the bass would be the answer and can I mimick this without running more bass units. How do I make them work correctly ie. crossover/seperator? Speaker setting on amp? Poly switch just in case? Or where can I find the right information or someone that has done this. Thanks in advance
Remember 1 bedroom appartment 5th storey lots of nieghbours.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 537
Gavin has already mentioned that the bass module has a crossover inside it. Whether you can mimic it or not is up to your own skill, although given that little or no information is released on its specifics, I would bet probably not.

As far as finding people that have done this, good luck on this forum.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 637
um....

Evenflow... you need to go to eBay and buy another bass unit. You need an Acoustimass 5 bass unit (bass module).

The Acoustimass 3 bass module won't put out enough bass, and it won't mate up correctly with the speakers.

The reason why you are getting bass unit suggestions is because you CANT DO what you want to do. You need the Acoustimass module mated to the cubes plain and simple.

Hate to be so blunt, but it is the truth.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7091
Evenflow, the little paper 3" speakers do not produce anything belos 120hz.
Pull it apart, remove the xo(such as it is) and play the thing full range all you want, until it blows up.

It is a 10w paper full(?) range driver, running 12ohms, and an autoformer will balance the little pieces of joy.
Okay?

Buy a real speaker setup, geez laweez!

If you must have the Bose to keep up with the Jones's, at least put Orb drivers into the Bose boxes, those can be run from any power source!
Sheesh!

You want the pretty things to fit in your modern flat...go buy a whole Bose setup!
Pretty! Pretty useless.

You do not want, need, nor can you appreciate good sound.

There is a thread here for you..
It is HTIB

Post Number: 6
I have an acoustimass 5 system. I was asking for technical advice because that is what I wanted. Nuck your last post gave me the information I wanted and I am happy to excuse the sarcasm for that. Thanks. If you saw the apartment you would understand why I want such a small speaker. If I could afford a new lifestyle system I would buy it. I do however appreciate good sound I run a NAD amp and some not so old Wharfedale speakers in my not so pretty pretty Audi tuning workshop where I spend most of my time and it is a lot bigger than my apartment. There is also the novilty of running the same brand as is in the cars I work on "BOSE".
I thought this forum was full of innovative people which is why I joined and asked the questions I have asked.
As for buying quality, what brand cars do you drive I drive Audi and Porsche. If you need any information on this topic I would be happy to give you good advice.
Sorry if we got off on the wrong foot

Gold Member

Post Number: 7095
I have an oldsmobile

Welcome, evenflow.
The sarcasm is free.
Ideally I would have an rs6, but, hey, you know how it goes.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 158
Hmmm, and I thought the RS4 was fancy...

I would think you can connect any amp to the jewel speakers as long as you set the crossover really really high and not put too much power into it.

If you already have an acoustimass 5 module, what is the problem?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 641
I apologize for the sarcasm, but a seperate module is really necessary for them to function properly.

Because the speakers themselves are so small, they won't handle deep bass.

I myself like the Orb designs as well. I have personally heard them and think they are great. Granted, I heard them at the wired store, and they were a "turbo" version that is not available to the consumer. But, the speakers themselves were the same. They were just stacked higher to fill a large room.

ww.orbaudio.com

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 642
www.orbaudio.com

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 643
Also, just because a brand is widely recognized does NOT mean it is good. Bose in part. Bose is placed in luxury cars to help sell them, not because of the sound quality.

The old McIntosh sound systems in the 2002ish Subaru Outback was the best stock sound system I have heard yet.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 644
Evenflow, where are you from? I know a guy by me that tunes Audis and drives a Porsche...

He is one of the most respected in the region.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us