Which speakers for Yamaha ax-596 amp ?

Username: S1969

Post Number: 1
HI
I have a yamaha ax 596 int amp and need advice to match proper speakers to . any idea about Wharfedale atlantic 400 or 500 , or Tannoy f4 ? (which are available locally)
I listen to rock ,electronic and classic music . any advice welcome. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7045
s, that looks like a really fun unit, I havn't seen one.
The specs quote down to 4 ohms(unusual now for yamaha).
With that ability, your speakeroptions are more open. Do you have a budget in mind?
Do you prefer standmounts or floorstanding speakers?
How loud will it go on occasion/regularly?(depends on taste/room dim's)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7046
Sorry, with the age of the model and it's mass, the amp may not play big loads for a long time, it might not have the power to do so.
Let's look at 8/6 ohm speakers

Post Number: 2
Hi nuck
thank for your care .
my budget is up to 600$ . I usually listen at medium levels and prefer floorstanders .

Gold Member

Post Number: 7047
Are you in the US?
Are you game for an internet purchase, or do you have a dealer nearby?

Post Number: 3
Im not in US. some stereo shops are arround .
Im not going to buy via internet . some b&w s are available such as dm 603s3 but are twice my budget and i think i will wait till i can go for them if it worths .

Gold Member

Post Number: 7050
Have you been to any dealerships then, s?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7051
Have you been to any dealerships then, s?
What have you heard?

Post Number: 4
Each dealer says which he offers is the best match , so I can not select any of them based on their advice .

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4635
If the dealer has speakers and you have ears then you are armed with all you need to start narrowing it down. We have no idea what's available in your local area and if you aren't going to buy off the internet (usually wise IMO) then we need more info and you need to shop and tell us what you've listened to and what you think of what you've heard. Happy shopping.

Post Number: 5
HI
my amp output power @ 8 ohms is 100 wpc (yamaha ax 596)and according to its manual is capable of driving low empedances . a dealer has three models of wharfedale ( diamond 8.3 , atlantic 400 and atlantic 500 all at 6 ohms ) .
the 8.3 has two drivers and its frequency response is 40-20k Hz and output power 20-120 watts . the at 400 has a 20 cm bass, 20 cm bass/mid and a tweeter and 150 watt max output power . at 500 has an additional bass driver and output power of 200 watts and both 30 - 20k Hz. considering my room size (4*9=36 sq. meters) I`d like to select one of atlantics but my general question is : would be any problem connecting a 100 wpc amp to such a powerfull speaker like 150 or 200 watts according to controling the drivers by the amp?
any idea ?

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 162
I used the Diamond 8.3s with a Sony receiver (100 wpc, 8 ohtms) for a while and then switched to NAD. The Sony did alright, but the NAD sounds more musical to me. The Sony did go into 'protect' once at near max volume but there was no distortion. I don't forsee a problem running 8.3s with the Yamaha other than a constant urge to upgrade (the amp).

Post Number: 6
Hi Srinivas
did 8.3s satisfy you ? how large is your listening room ? according to its frequency response (40-20k) and number of drivers ( a bass/mid and a tweeter ) is its performance good?
is the bass tight and accurate ? how about mids and highs ?
thanks for response.

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 152
try infinity beta50 would, would drive well with ur yamaha inteamp, and reasonable price to.
Yeah I would say b&w 603 is far better but I guess not in your price range, the beta's have decent bass,soundstage, good dynamic and since u listen to alot of rock,classic this pair would be ideal, excellent for music purpose.. rated 8ohms (250wattsrms..500peak)

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 163
Hi S,
I am happy and so are friends who listen.
The listening room is 7m x 10m.
To me, the performance is good.
Bass is tight and accurate.
Mids and highs are good, but not prominent.
You're welcome.

Probable negatives:
These are not loud enough for parties.
Bass extension is good, but you might still want to add a subwoofer. I found it difficult to match a subwoofer (I may be a novice).
As I said before, treble does not sound so prominent (soft dome vs metal tweeter?). For electronic and dance music, you might enjoy an emphasis on treble.
Some kinds of music play better than others. They sound best in mid-range. Vocals sound very good. So do small drums.

I feel these speakers produce all sounds in an accurate manner without distortion. However, you might want to boost treble a little and add a subwoofer for bass extension. Remember though, that I am a novice and do not have a good frame of reference. My experience with speakers is from friends' houses and big box stores.

Overall, these speakers have provided several hours of enjoyable listening. My next upgrade may be to the Diamond 8.4. However, I would advocate listening to them before you buy.

Bronze Member
Username: Markdavid

Post Number: 13
Diamond 8.3 is a good speaker , but i dont think it will match Yamaha , the better choice for yamahas are very soft sounding speakers .. are there any ideas of changing the yummys? there are lot available in the market better then yamahas.
mark

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1899
s,

Forget about the speaker's output power. Its meaningless in the real world. To quote Jan Vigne, "Speakers ain't got no watts."

That spec is so you don't over drive them. Its far less likely to over drive a speaker than it is to underpower them. Underpowering a speaker causes distortion, which kills more speakers farm more easily and quickly than anything else.

Post Number: 7
Hi shane ,srinivas , mark and stu .
thanks for response .
at this time I'm not gonna change the amp.
as mark stated , I would like to know which speakers brands match my sharp sounding amp. In fact , I can not audition different speakers with my amp , therefore I have to get advices from people who had the expirience with (at least) simillar gear .

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 708
Nuck, I am familiar with this model. It is not the run of the mill Yammie... It can indeed drive difficult speakers, and do it quite well, provided you aren't obnoxious with the volume knob.

My experience with this particular unit was on a pair of MartinLogan Aeon i stats. While not the most difficult to drive speakers around, they aren't what I would call easy either. The Yamaha drove the Aeons in a decent sized room to a level that I was comfortable with (I'd guess around 90dB). The sound was reasonably smooth, with a hint of grain on the top end.

Make no mistake, this unit has a solid state sound. It would not be my first choice for a revealing speaker due to the grain, but I would feel comfortble powering some lower impedence speakers with it.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 262
With wrong speakers, this unit is prone to audible distortion.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10550

"With wrong speakers, this unit is prone to audible distortion."

What?

What the hell does that mean? Wrong speakers cause audible distortion? Do right speakers cause non-audible distortion? How do "wrong speakers" cause this sort of distortion? What constitutes a "wrong speaker" for this unit? Why?

Don't start off on any "King Jan" BS, just answer the questions. You've said something stupid. Now explain it. Don't blame me for your mistake.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7517
Ooohh, lemme get popcorn.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 709
"With wrong speakers, this unit is prone to audiable distortion"

The audiable distortion that I heard was not due to the speakers, but due to the integrated. The speakers did NOT produce this sound when driven with either a B&K Reference 125 OR even a much less powerful Pioneer Elite A-35r integrated.

FWIW, all three of these designs obviously have a different sound.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10551

I wouldn't pop too much, Nuck. We all know Jones is only capable of insults and moronic statements like, "With wrong speakers, this unit is prone to audible distortion." I doubt there'll be any sort of intelligent response from him. Most probably just another insult. Just another way to blame someone else for his incompetence. Par for the course with Jones.

All hat, no cattle.

Have a beer, Nuck, sit back and wait for the inane comments to come.

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
Well the idots have again come home to roost. I love it.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 223
S'ok. I think we all knew you'd come back. No worries.

Care to (or have the ability to) enlighten us as to how the wrong speakers will produce the audible distortion? If the wrong speakers are prone to audible distortion are they prone to this phenomenon while in the carton while being shipped?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10553

Roost? There's the one you're sitting on that's covered in worthless crap. You feet are stuck to it, eh? There you are, sitting in your own sh!t. Yeeeeeew!

Jones, has anyone ever called you a syphilitic rat b@stard moron? Or have they always been really tough and honest with you?

Why don't you just try answering the questions? Explain the idiotic post you placed before us. Your stupidity hurt my eyes once again.

Nah! I know you can't come up with anything that passes for an answer. You're absolutely worthless for anything other than insults. Gee, it would be nice if you proved me wrong just this one time since you've never been able to do it up to now. Jones, you make the recently departed finatic sound intelligent. And that's no small feat!

All hat full of BS (not even cattle). Scoop a little deeper this time, jones.

I'd hate to be you, jones.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 710
JBJ, I even explained how your post fails logic, yet you still validate it. I am confused.

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
The problem with some of you guys is that you have problems understanding plain English. But it's OK. From time to time I'll try to help you out. Speakers that represent a difficult load for this receiver will cause it to go into clipping and it is audible. These same speakers might not be difficult to push for some other receivers. The Yamaha is not very forgiving. Don't believe it? Pair it with some old Infinities and see for yourself.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10557

"Speakers that represent a difficult load for this receiver will cause it to go into clipping and it is audible."

No, clipping doesn't happen that way. Clipping of the amplifier is caused when you simply ask the amplifier to swing more voltage than the power supply can deliver. It is a choice you make to crank the amplifier beyond its limits. If you turn the volume down, the amplifier won't clip, difficult load or not. If the amplifier isn't driven into clipping, there is no audible clipping distortion. So the "wrong speaker" wil not automatically make this receiver "prone to audible distortion". Yeeeesh!

"These same speakers might not be difficult to push for some other receivers."

You are correct there, kind of. What same speakers? There are plenty of old Infinities that were quite easy for a twenty watt Pioneer receiver to drive to quite decent levels. But, an amplifier with higher voltage potential would not clip as quickly as a lower power amplifier. That is true. However, since it would require an amplifier with several times (10X) the wattage, this is hardly worthwhile advice. Particularly since clipping has nothing specifically to do with how difficult the load is on the amplifier and much more to do with how loud you want to play the system, this is really not correct after all. Too bad!

Care to try again, oh wise one? Why don't you begin with just what sort of speaker load would be difficult for this amplifier? And do you speak from personal experience or are you just spouting off about generic Yamaha receivers? How do you know this Yamaha can't drive a difficult load? Hmmmm?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7525
The problem with some of you guys is that you have problems understanding plain English

I think, rather, that you, Jones, have a rather disfunctional understanding or music reproduction, and have proven yourself rather a troll.
Tata.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10558

Just to be clear and to make the load a bit more difficult on Brainiac, you can easily drive any amplifier into clipping with any speaker load. Just crank the volume control hard to the right. The amplifier will clip.

My LS3/5a's are a 15 Ohm load with no impedance dip beneath 10 Ohms. They have a not completely easy crossover to drive but they are considered the ultimate tube friendly (and by turn, amplifier friendly) loudspeaker. If I wanted to, I could drive my 100 watt tube amplifiers into clipping with these speakers connected to the outputs. If I had my Spicas connected, which are a very benign 8 Ohm load with no impedance dip beneath 6 Ohms and a very simple crossover, I could drive any of my amplifiers (6 watts to 160 watts to choose from) into clipping. Though it would be very loud, you could clip an amplifier driving a pair of 104dB @ 1 watt Klipschorns.

And, if you turn down the volume on any of these combinations, the amplifier will stop clipping.

Finaly, for now, clipping distortion is unfortunately not all that audible. At least not until the tweeters finally stop working.

Your turn, genius.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7530
Just to be clear and to make the load a bit more difficult on Brainiac, you can easily drive any amplifier into clipping with any speaker load. Just crank the volume control hard to the right. The amplifier will clip.

Are my speakers too easy to drive, Jan?
I can blow through them(min 3.2ohm) with the Classe amp, with no audible distortion.
When the speakers get into trouble, the amp has some gizmos to handle that, with 3 output devices available, and used in unison at times.

Lemme get the specs, maybe I am not listening closely enough.

Of course, at that SPL, it might be hard to tell!

Back to Jones.

Oh I looked for a sound bite that I had somewhere. The Bugs Bunny cartoon with The Rabbit and Giovanni Jones, when Bugs as a bobbiesoxer, swoons over Jones and has him sign with a lit explosive, knowing that Jones would pocket the instrument after signing.

Bugs says 'thank you Mr. Joooones."

Boom

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10581

This thread just keeps slipping further and further down the page without additional comments or clarification of, "With wrong speakers, this unit is prone to audible distortion". Shall we just assume jones has nothing to add to the discussion?

Anywhere?

Ever?

Hopefully.

jonesy? Yoohoo, oh, jonesy? Are you out looking for some cattle to justify the pile of BS you left behind?

Aw, jonesy, we still think you're a dork.

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
"Your turn, genius." Janny Boy. Thank you. Thank you very much. I humbly accept this kind gesture and designation.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 235
Brilliant, Jimbob Idiotpants. Brilliant.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10583

Oh, so you respond to, "Aw, jonesy, we still think you're a dork" but you can't respond to, "Your turn, genius". Since you didn't take your turn when offered, this leads me to conclude you accept the appellation "dork". Come on, jonesy, you're being given a second chance to prove you had any idea what you were talking about when you posted, "With wrong speakers, this unit is prone to audible distortion". There aren't many people I'd give a second chance when they post something that insipid. But you were so far off the mark the first time, the second try should be a laugh riot. Go ahead, give it a go. What does, "With wrong speakers, this unit is prone to audible distortion", mean? Oh, yes, "Why don't you begin with just what sort of speaker load would be difficult for this amplifier? And do you speak from personal experience or are you just spouting off about generic Yamaha receivers? What sort of amplifier would be able to drive a difficult load? How do you know this Yamaha can't drive a difficult load? Hmmmm?" And never mind about old Infinities, you don't know what you're talking about there either. There were a few tough loads designed by Infinity but nothing you'd hook up to a Yamaha integrated.

We're waiting for an intelligent answer from you jonesy, not just the usual drivel that you're so good at. Go on, give it a try.

(Ooooooooh, I'd hate to be jonesy now.)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7587
Ohhh I'd hate to have been him from the outset!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10584

Ooooh, I'd hate to have been his mother from the outset.

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
Well Janny, whose mother are you?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10594

Answer the questions, dork.

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 82
HaHaHa you guys are a riot!!! jim give up!! Jan got you once again, he has asked you over and over to explain yourself, but you cant, why??? I think its cause you don't really know what you are talking about, as Jan has pointed out over and over again, but keep it up I like these posts where you butt in and pretend like you know what the hell your talking about its funny.

so I would just give up if I were you, your not gonna win this one, as you have already lost the battle once again to prove that you are right. dont go head to head with Jan, cause your just gonna lose every time.

I think jan knows what hes talking about, and im sure everybody else on this forum will agree with me about that to.

SO JUST GIVE UP MAN!!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7603
Pass the popcorn.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10596

Your turn, ...

dork.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10605

This thread is slipping again. Have we finally lost dork? Has he admitted he's an idiot and a failure? No cogent reply would indicate he has. Another insult would indicate he really has. Anything less than a real answer would indicate he should go shoot himself and put us out of our misery.

Hmmmmm?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7618
Slow day Jan?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10607

Nah, just wondering what has happened here. Did jonesy crawl under another rock or did his leave get revoked and he's back under serious medication now? This thread is like the "Atom Man" serials from the 1950's. Always leave 'em hanging. I keep waiting to see when Dorkboy will finally give up and admit to being an idiot with no clue to how things work just before being captured by the dashing and brilliant hero.

The silence on this thread is deafening; don't you think?

Bronze Member
Username: Develara

Post Number: 26
S u still there.........or lost in this conversation , what speakers did u buy ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
Looks like Janny has run everybody away...again. He excels at that.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10648

I was only hoping to run you off. Permanently. Amazingly, you don't seem to be embarassed by your obvious ignorance. I gave you a chance to prove you're not as dumb as you write, I even gave you clues to the answer, since I'm not as dumb as you (who could be?), and still you're a dolt and a dork.

Just go away, dorkboy. You should not be playing with the big guys.

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
"You should not be playing with the big guys."Jan Vigne

Yes, mother. Sorry I forgot to send you a mother's day card. But I'm sure you understand.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10650

I don't understand you at all, dork. What?! No paper with sharp folded edges? Too risky in your condition? No stamp? They don't allow you any licking in the institute? How do you clean yourself? Surely they don't allow you around a bowl of water! That could be dangerous for your sort of dork.

Oh, look, the nice man is bringing your meds.

You're wasting our time here, dorkboy, just go away and stay away.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10651

Or, you could answer the question.

Nah! That's not gonna happen.

Bye bye!

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Good riddance and don't come back.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10702

Every idiotic reply just reinforces the fact you are a stupid dork who cannot answer a simple question when the answer is right in front of your eyes.

Keep it up.

This is getting to be quite entertaining.

Dork.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us